January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

35 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Don't jump down my throat. It's incredibly boring. I know how unreliable he is, but it's more interesting than not sharing and debating. Yes much of it is obvious..

Whispers says we're after GK, CB, DM, LB and a Winger.

That's a lot. They could very well be throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. But could be a hell of a window if we add 5 players.

This is done…

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I cant understand why the club is being linked with pensioners ( in footballing terms)

romeu is 30  taglifico is 29 and digne is 29

Now they are all fine players...but i would have imagined that the club would want some kind of comeback after their contracts end etc.

Edens and sawaris are business men first and foremost and i  certainly would not be thinking that the club would recoup any of the massive fees paid for these players at the end of their contracts.

Money wise we had a nightmare spend last summer and im sure we have lost millions and millions in player's net worth.

One thing i do know is that we have to get the next 2 windows right.

I get where you are coming from and largely agree on buying older players, it depends on what total cost and what they will bring to the side vs a young model.

I don't agree that we had a nightmare window in the summer, the only player we brought that I feel will never fit in is Danny Ings.

Bailey and Buendia will be good buys for us.

3 hours ago, useless said:

Tuanzebe linked to Napoli too. Not sure about Milan/Madrids needs to be honest but assume the player would choose either of those over us.

If it's us or Napoli though we could do quite well out of it by losing Tuanzebe to them and securing this guy?

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Tuanzebe linked to Napoli too. Not sure about Milan/Madrids needs to be honest but assume the player would choose either of those over us.

If it's us or Napoli though we could do quite well out of it by losing Tuanzebe to them and securing this guy?

Tuanzebe is basically gone to Napoli, everything done apart from medical and signature.  It’s not us or them, it’s them.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Read it again

Had to read many times but I get it now!  Don’t know how it was worded or I’m dumb….probably I’m dumb.  Just didn’t read it that way a few time 🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

I cant understand why the club is being linked with pensioners ( in footballing terms)

romeu is 30  taglifico is 29 and digne is 29

Now they are all fine players...but i would have imagined that the club would want some kind of comeback after their contracts end etc.

Edens and sawaris are business men first and foremost and i  certainly would not be thinking that the club would recoup any of the massive fees paid for these players at the end of their contracts.

Money wise we had a nightmare spend last summer and im sure we have lost millions and millions in player's net worth.

One thing i do know is that we have to get the next 2 windows right.

I love the irony of OldVillan posting this 😀

• Haha 1

I'm not trying to shit stir here. However of the players still at Liverpool to of taken the pitch alongside Gerrard, they are Henderson, Firmino, Milner and Gomez.

We won't get their captain, but I wonder if enquiries won't be made for the other three. 

Firmino could well be on the move. With Haaland linked and Jota firmly staking his claim, there's only so much room alongside Mane and Salah.

Milner, while he's had 12 appearances this season, at age 35 probably isn't going to utilised beyond this season when they have Keita, Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, and Ox as well.

Gomez I don't really have anything to say about it as I don't know him or his role beyond hearing things were going sour a while back.

Anyway, reason for my post is I know first hand from my basketball career that head coaches will always reach out to the best talent that they've got history with, especially when that head coach has been given license to bring in his personnel to try and restore the standing of a club or promote one of lesser standings to new heights. If there's not an infrastructure firmly in place to determine who comes in and why, I know head coach is reaching out to those who've got the job done alongside him before.

Whether they come for that ride too is a whole other story. Wages and club placement and chance of prosperity as well as the role on offer to the player all factor in among other elements. 

Milner I could see back here on a one year. Firmino less so, yet his market value is definitely no where near what it was, and at 30, top European clubs won't offer him either a starting role or the money he's had to date. It's possible. Gomez as I said, don't know.

Just a thought and luckily for you lot there probably won't be much more between now and Brentford. Certainly exhausted my ignorance on current affairs for the time being..

I've just seen a link with AEG and West Ham..... Good we need to cash in on him whilst we can receive some money for him - He should have been sold in the summer.

I also saw the Douglas Luiz link too, begs the question why haven't we tied him down with just 18 months left? He shouldn't have been been allowed to get to 2 years left on the deal nevermind a year and a half.

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

Firmino would be a statement signing but I wouldn't imagine a particularly fruitful one. A lot of his benefits come from bringing in Salah and Mane into play and making the runs that allow them to do their thing.

In theory that sounds great if it got Watkins and Ings firing but in reality that would be 3 players wanting to be central. Firmino would have to be the one that is central even if he drifts better than Ollie does - you couldn't stick him on the wing. He needs to be able to drift to allow those off him to make the killer runs.

Now, had we not signed Ings, it would make perfect sense. He can do the Ollie job and rotate with Ollie to bring Bailey and Buendia into the game exactly as he does at Liverpool and we'd have a different option.

I just don't see us needing Ollie, Ings and Firmino for one spot and I dont think he'd be creative or clinical enough to play on the wings. It would be a statement signing though for sure.

I also can't see him not having bigger paying offers

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Firmino would be a statement signing but I wouldn't imagine a particularly fruitful one. A lot of his benefits come from bringing in Salah and Mane into play and making the runs that allow them to do their thing.

In theory that sounds great if it got Watkins and Ings firing but in reality that would be 3 players wanting to be central. Firmino would have to be the one that is central even if he drifts better than Ollie does - you couldn't stick him on the wing. He needs to be able to drift to allow those off him to make the killer runs.

Now, had we not signed Ings, it would make perfect sense. He can do the Ollie job and rotate with Ollie to bring Bailey and Buendia into the game exactly as he does at Liverpool and we'd have a different option.

I just don't see us needing Ollie, Ings and Firmino for one spot and I dont think he'd be creative or clinical enough to play on the wings. It would be a statement signing though for sure.

I also can't see him not having bigger paying offers

Also Sane and Salah are both at AFCON aren’t they, so can’t imagine Liverpool letting any forward go before the summer

Edited by nick76

Firmino doesn't make sense, I agree.

Neither does Milner, we have Ashley Young for that experience. 

I like the idea of Gomez, Hickey and a decent CDM.

Romeu is a good and experienced player although perhaps underwhelming. However he would be able to add some balance and cohesion to the midfield enabling the likes of Sanson, Ramsey and Mcginn or whoever plays 'more' freedom. But where does that leave Luiz? For me he has to play, I think he's very good.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

MIlan lost Kjaer for a long time and Romagnoli probably wont sign a new deal so they will be in the market. Real Madrid are linked with Gomez so probably chasing a centre back

4 hours ago, useless said:

I don't think there's any truth to the Digne and Tagliafico links, Digne hasn't really been linked anyway, that's just fans speculating and the Birmingham Mail using that fan speculation as clickbait and Tagliafico as a more defensive minded fullback doesn't really suit Gerrard's system, as stated previously I wouldn't be surprised if he was someone we inquired about when Smith was still manager, he was linked to West Ham in the summer, so we could have shown interest then.

Romeu rumour seems like it might be more reliable, as it was Percy that first said we liked him in the summer, and might makes sense to bring someone like him in until Iroegbunam is ready. But even with that link in it's latest incarnation comes from The Athletic, and I don't think they're as reliable as they were, probably just guesswork from them based on Percy linking us with him in the summer and us needing a DM owing to Nakamba's injury.

Tagliafico has been involved in over 30 goals since he signed for Ajax less than 5 years ago. A concern is he isnt actually Ajax first choice left back at the moment and has started one league game since October