January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

What’s the problem with a 29yo? He’s one of the best LBs in the PL.

It's a risk, we would have to accept he will be here until he is roughly 33 on very high wages and no chance of getting a fee.  He is very good imo but you don't know how long before he starts to decline.  I know it's not the same but I'd have thought Ings would be a quality addition but it's not quite worked out and the longer it goes, the worse value it gets.  Hickey would be a better bet, I'd want someone younger with more potential to compete with Targett, who I think is still good enough at the moment.

• Like 1

If Digne was one of the best left backs in the premier league then Everton wouldn't be replacing him. I had a look on their forum recently and most of them seemed to think he's been poor for a couple of seasons now. I wonder if he's one of those players that looks good in highlights, in part thanks to some of the spectacular goals he scores, so becomes overrated. Either way I don't think there's much chance we will be interested in either him or Tagliafico.

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's a risk, we would have to accept he will be here until he is roughly 33 on very high wages and no chance of getting a fee.  He is very good imo but you don't know how long before he starts to decline.  I know it's not the same but I'd have thought Ings would be a quality addition but it's not quite worked out and the longer it goes, the worse value it gets.  Hickey would be a better bet, I'd want someone younger with more potential to compete with Targett, who I think is still good enough at the moment.

No need to worry, he will get superior offers to any offer we may make for him.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

a bit of a moot arguement, goalkeepers can comfortably be at the peak in to their mid or even late 30's. so cant be compared to outfield players generally.

tbh tho, i would be open to Tagliafico or Digne, heavily depending on the cost etc, as hopefully we will in time have players like Chrisene and Hayden coming through at full back, so 2-3 years of more senior players might be a good move, although we tried that with Ings recently and that hasnt worked out so well as yet unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer someone younger (Wijndal at AZ would be my choice, but Hickey also looks a prospect), but both Digne and Tagliafico have huge pedigree and played at the very highest level. For 2-3 years I think they'd do a great job for us but we should only offer them a 3-year contract like we did with Ings IMO.

14 minutes ago, useless said:

If Digne was one of the best left backs in the premier league then Everton wouldn't be replacing him. I had a look on their forum recently and most of them seemed to think he's been poor for a couple of seasons now. I wonder if he's one of those players that looks good in highlights, in part thanks to some of the spectacular goals he scores, so becomes overrated. Either way I don't think there's much chance we will be interested in either him or Tagliafico.

Everton fans want rid of him. There have been some attitude issues with him and Everton too apparently, he was a good player in his time but I would not like to sign him. I assume Chelsea may try and get him on loan till the end of the season and Everton may have to agree to it to get him off the wage bill

I think if we were to sign players in their late twenties heading into their thirties or players already in their thirties then they should be real standout players, especially if a big fee and contract would likely to be involved, I don't think Digne falls into that category, seems his form hasn't been what it was. To me a younger player like Hickey makes much more sense

Digne is already on the way down in his career. We should be looking at players with an upward trajectory. Hickey and Patterson for full backs for example. 

We should be looking at guys who can come in and improve the side regardless of how old they are or how established they have been. Guys who have a point to prove and who are going to complement the strategy and tactics employed by SG.

We can adjust and tailor contracts according to where players are at in their career and what is in the interests of the club and player alike.

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Before knowing where, I need to go onto Google to find out Who :)

Hungarian centre back plays for Fenerbache in Turkey, only 23 and would be a huge gamble.

Mail online reporting Napoli have agreed to loan Axel with a option to buy.

So we def need centre back options if we aren't giving Hause a new deal