January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I don’t think we need to look at attacking options in this window, unless we see a couple of players leave. At the moment, none of the 3 attacking players that cost a combined £90m+    have done anything too spectacular other than on a couple of occasions (Ings overhead kick / Bailey vs. Everton) so we have to get more out of those players before we bring more in.

We need a DM and a LB and I really hope we will move quickly to bring in the players that Gerrard wants.

• Like 2

I made the mistake of watching Sky's Christmas Transfer Show last night, thinking that we might get a passing mention. How wrong I was. It was all about Pogba, somebody called Grealish, Kane, Rudiger, Citeh, Haaland and whether Newcastle would spend big. My advice is: Avoid this at all costs and rely on VT for AVFC speculation.:cheers:  

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, sne said:

Can't say I've watched enough of Bologna to make a fair judgement on the kid but I'd be all for us going for Aaron Hickey in January

Bologna play more with 5 at the back which gets the best out of him. Not sure if he can play in a back 4 yet

15 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

worrying how dire we look up front, considering how many options we have, although not many of them seem fit. Ings and Watkins seem to be getting worse not better.

Was hoping we didn't need attacking options in Jan

I don't think we will go for attacking options in January, at most I think we will be looking at a LB and a CDM but only then if we feel the deal is good.

The summer we will see a lot of outs and some ins in order to get it more suited to Gerrard's playing style.

Just now, Zatman said:

Bologna play more with 5 at the back which gets the best out of him. Not sure if he can play in a back 4 yet

Yeah and he's only 19 so might be optimistic to hope he would solve our LB issues straight away. Might still be a good investment.

15 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I don’t think we need to look at attacking options in this window, unless we see a couple of players leave. At the moment, none of the 3 attacking players that cost a combined £90m+    have done anything too spectacular other than on a couple of occasions (Ings overhead kick / Bailey vs. Everton) so we have to get more out of those players before we bring more in.

I’m starting to think we do need to look at attacking options in Jan even if it is just a loan for six months.  Bertie off to AFCON, Bailey keeps being injured, Buendia not up to speed, Ings and Ollie not working and both out of form.  We need to get something out of these players I agree but short term we need a spark and I can’t see anything there so something fresh may give us breathing space. I’d hate to see this season fizzle away because our attacking third is so bloody poor.

26 minutes ago, picicata said:

I don't think we will go for attacking options in January, at most I think we will be looking at a LB and a CDM but only then if we feel the deal is good.

The summer we will see a lot of outs and some ins in order to get it more suited to Gerrard's playing style.

We could get a loan signing potentially for a forward position.  God knows who but something needs to happen.

33 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah and he's only 19 so might be optimistic to hope he would solve our LB issues straight away. Might still be a good investment.

He certainly isnt the finished article, but its also the reason hes attainable for a reasonable price.

Definately a villa type signing in this regard

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

We could get a loan signing potentially for a forward position.  God knows who but something needs to happen.

I thought the plan was full backs provide the width. We already have loads of wide players - and CFs Watkins / Ings are good enough imo. You're going to be paying massive fees to get better than those two.....which I don't see happening.

17 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

worrying how dire we look up front, considering how many options we have, although not many of them seem fit. Ings and Watkins seem to be getting worse not better.

Was hoping we didn't need attacking options in Jan

It would make sense to give Bailey an opportunity to play and also see how Ings and Oliie adapt to Gerrard's style of play. He has only been at Villa for 7 games. If we were to buy more attacking players how long would we give them before writing them off? End of Jan / mid Feb?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

There is no chance of getting an attacking loan player that is fit, up to speed and can slot into our team immediately

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

I thought the plan was full backs provide the width. We already have loads of wide players - and CFs Watkins / Ings are good enough imo. You're going to be paying massive fees to get better than those two.....which I don't see happening.

I meant for the numbers 10 positions.  I’m still not convinced we have the strength at full backs to do what we want yet.  We have three forward positions so either Ings or Watkins plays one of this positions or both but we still have a spare.  Currently we have Buendia not playing great, Bailey injured and Traore off to AFCON.  Just wondering where the creativity is coming from.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There is no chance of getting an attacking loan player that is fit, up to speed and can slot into our team immediately

How do you know?  Plus we don’t have that in our squad so we may not have a choice re my above comment

Just now, nick76 said:

How do you know?  Plus we don’t have that in our squad so we may not have a choice re my above comment

Years of watching football and the transfer market and seeing how long players take to adjust to a new club. Also, having an understanding of the Jan transfer window helps and appreciating that clubs do not like to sell their better players and in particular, attacking players are very difficult to buy or loan. To think we can enter the loan market and get attacking players that are better than either Ollie or Ings and that we can attract them to Villa and they will settle in and hit the ground running is fantasy stuff

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We have Ings, Ollie, Buendia, Bailey plus other attacking options and can promote Archer and bring back Wes if we want. Gerrard needs to work with what he has and show he can get them functioning properly and not be running to the cookie jar. 

Buendia is struggling, Bailey injured for another month according to Gary Mac and hasn’t been struggling, Ollie and Ings out of form, Traore off to AFCON, Wes can’t get a game on loan so no chance here…so Archer is a kid.  If people want a top ten then maybe the cookie jar needs opening even for just a loan signing.  

We have three forward positions and not one guaranteed starter, not one player in form and a few out injured or not available.

As for running to the cookie jar, Gerrard might not feel they are right for him,  we have no idea what Gerrard is going to do in a transfer window as we don’t have any Villa history on it.  I think the only person who is 100% safe is Martinez, although Gary Mac and Gerrard have said so many times how they love McGinn so he’s another guaranteed starter.

While not creative I think McGinn would work well in one of the #10 positions. He has energy, drive and the will to get forward and hustle. He plays a similar role for Scotland right?

CM of Luiz, Sanson, Ramsey and if we manage to get someone in to replace Nakamba should work. Sanson can also play in the #10 role so when fit we have options alongside Buendia/Bailey/Traoré. 

Not sure where the Christmas tree formation leaves the likes of El Ghazi and Trez (or if Bailey is a great fit). Then again I'm not even sure we will go 4-3-2-1 once we have our players back...

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Years of watching football and the transfer market and seeing how long players take to adjust to a new club. Also, having an understanding of the Jan transfer window helps and appreciating that clubs do not like to sell their better players and in particular, attacking players are very difficult to buy or loan. To think we can enter the loan market and get attacking players that are better than either Ollie or Ings and that we can attract them to Villa and they will settle in and hit the ground running is fantasy stuff

I have years of watching football as well and there are loads of fitting in straight away.  Just off the top of my head is Lingard at West Ham last season (not saying we should be after him).

Why do people think it is to replace Ollie or Ings.  We have three forward positions so at least one or two positions to compete for.  I’m suggesting a spark, a loan, something to create chances for Ollie or Ings.