Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

1 hour ago, JoshVilla said:

I heard a bloke near me say that they were reserved for Bayern players' friend & family. Doubt that's true but it was odd how empty it was. 

it's the more logical explanation. they were clearly bayern fans but they weren't part of the jumpy lot next to them. presumably there's some requirement in europe to have this overflow

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Wasn't sure where to ask this - but anyone know what was with the scattering of a few Bayern fans on the other side of the [black] buffer  in the DE Lower? Are those seats left empty to accommodate overflow or away fans accidentally sitting in home sections?

Been in place for european games , think its a non standing / singing section , must be a euro requirement

9 hours ago, bcarpet said:

it felt like the ground went silent when the champions league anthem played and then the last bit "the champions" was then roared!

That’s exactly what happened. It was so clear that most of us had been waiting decades to hear that music at Villa park

• Like 1

I heard a bloke near me say that they were reserved for Bayern players' friend & family. Doubt that's true but it was odd how empty it was. 

As others have said I think that’s exactly what it is. Was there for the European games last season

• Like 1

I think it was potentially the Bayern u19 squad that had played at Bodymoor earlier in the day. From where I was sat (which was quite far away!) it looked like they all had the same tracksuits on. 

3 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Wasn't sure where to ask this - but anyone know what was with the scattering of a few Bayern fans on the other side of the [black] buffer  in the DE Lower? Are those seats left empty to accommodate overflow or away fans accidentally sitting in home sections?

It's a section for Bayern fans that don't wanna stand and jump about all game.

They used it in the conference league last season too

29 minutes ago, Chindie said:

A Bayern fan. Interestingly seems to quite like the city. I think there's some dislike of the 'UK' style atmosphere where we're very reactive to the match and it's not just constant chanting. But otherwise they seem to really like the stadium and the pre-match stuff.

interesting watch that. for all the constant noise it just seemed to be "bayern munchen" but to different tunes, or with a "la la la" before, or "ole ole ole" after. no originality or anything. it just looks impressive because they sing a bit more constantly, have a few syncronised hand gestures and jump about a bit.

give me the duran song over that dull shite any day of the week

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

interesting watch that. for all the constant noise it just seemed to be "bayern munchen" but to different tunes, or with a "la la la" before, or "ole ole ole" after. no originality or anything. it just looks impressive because they sing a bit more constantly, have a few syncronised hand gestures and jump about a bit.

That is most European atmospheres in a nutshell. Never got the clamour for it. 

Edited by Tony
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

That is most European atmospheres in a nutshell. Never got the clamour for it. 

Yep agree it’s basically cheerleading. In the UK the team has to earn it by showing something in their performance to whip up the crowd. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

I've never been a fan either, it feels very robotic. I get that there's a bit of that as the away side no matter what, but I feel like there's something more real about the crowd engaging with the action, even if it does mean when you get a cagey match you get the quiet moments and flat moments. 

I think it was best summed up by Lille last season. Good support but it just seemed like they just felt they needed to make a noise (to the extent they even had some Representative for North East Somerset with a megaphone siren). No thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

The club needs to address the issue with the microphones being placed too close to the away end or directed toward it. On TV, the Bayern fans sounded five times louder than they actually were. However, after watching various stadium vlogs, it's clear that while Bayern fans were loud, the microphone positioning exaggerated the effect.

I've mentioned this before and the club should be across it. I don't think they are.

I've been to multiple matches at different grounds that sound very very different on TV.

Villa should be chasing down host broadcasters to find out why.

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

I've mentioned this before and the club should be across it. I don't think they are.

I've been to multiple matches at different grounds that sound very very different on TV.

Villa should be chasing down host broadcasters to find out why.

is it not something as simple as the main broadcast camera and commentators are directly above the away fans?

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

is it not something as simple as the main broadcast camera and commentators are directly above the away fans?

There's mics all the way round the pitch. The positioning and levels of them is the biggest factor.

You'll hear the comms talking about atmosphere and they'll usually give a decent representation. Sometimes it doesn't tally at all with what you can hear on TV IMO.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

Pretty much this.....and its been this way since the away support was moved out of the North stand, years ago.

(Not that I'm advocating they go back there)

14 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Yep agree it’s basically cheerleading. In the UK the team has to earn it by showing something in their performance to whip up the crowd. 

Don't really agree the team should have to "earn it" and it isn't anything close to cheerleading lol.

Sure, there's something to be said that English atmospheres being more reactive creates more intensity when they are actually loud, I agree, but you're just making excuses for the fact that European atmospheres are generally clearly better than England.

Atmosphere was very good at times but the team needed us when it was flat and it gave Bayern momentum. They had already earned it by being there in the first place 🤣

On 03/10/2024 at 17:36, VillaJ100 said:

That is incredible as decibels is a logarithmic scale, so 100db is 10 times more intense than 90db

Same, I wear earplugs (tinnitus problems) at games and it was a glorious racket in the Lower Trinity even with them in 💜 

7 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

European atmospheres are generally clearly better than England.

I don’t really agree with that.  I suppose it depends what the atmosphere is doing.  If it’s the same throughout the match what add extra is it adding to the players, a player is intimidated by it (may get used to it) or will thrive on it from the start but it likely then not change through the match thus then not affecting the match.  

If the atmosphere is reactive with various proactive stages from the crowd then more likely to affect players so I would argue that is the more affecting atmosphere.  

If you just want noise at a constant rate then sure the European way is “more” atmosphere but I think our football is “more affecting” and would thus say is clearly better than European crowds when both at their best.  I just think our crowds are more impactful both good and bad to the teams on the pitch.

• Like 1

We have it in MLS with LAFC: the constant singing is interesting and you marvel at the devotion. Then you're about 38 minutes into the game, the noise level is inapposite to what is happening on the pitch and eventually you're just annoyed trying to figure it all out. It can't quite fade into the background, but it certainly is having no impact on the field.

"Throat vuvuzelas" is what I'm going with to describe it.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â