Weston McKennie

CarryOnVilla

21 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

He could be a very good addition to the squad however I think the disappointment is in how the deal has come about, selling Luiz on the cheap and bringing him in return… If we sold Luiz to Juve or whoever else for £60m+ and then signed McKennie separately for £12-15m it would be more palatable. But the 2 players + €20m seems £10-15m short to me, we’ve either undervalued Luiz or overvalued the players coming, in especially as both are out of contract next summer.

Trouble is, our own player is out of contract in 2 summers and we have a bit of a situation with book balancing to contend with. 

I guess both clubs are getting a bit of a discount so it evens out?

2 minutes ago, zak said:

i think you may be undervaluing McKennie. Not that i think hes amazing or anything but 12-15m isnt alot these days. I think hes wortth 20m and so is probably Illing Jr so your talking close to 60m and not going to a rival

Contract expires next season thou, that's why the valuation is low, just like Illing-jr

Been mentioned a few times but he has a pretty active agent or manager or something on twitter. He's run into scraps with fans before.

100% he'll be following the fact Villa fans aren't happy with this.

Has anyone seen any Juve fans thinking this is a bad deal for them? It's absolutely universal glee they're getting Luiz and getting rid of two wasters.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Been mentioned a few times but he has a pretty active agent or manager or something on twitter. He's run into scraps with fans before.

100% he'll be following the fact Villa fans aren't happy with this.

Has anyone seen any Juve fans thinking this is a bad deal for them? It's absolutely universal glee they're getting Luiz and getting rid of two wasters.

I think its just a troublesome mate of his.

He's had an absolute shocker if he's letting anyone like that near his business affairs though!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, villa4europe said:

why is that a laughable idea?

why is it not plausible that Juve don't have the cash to make a straight up purchase, that's very plausible

is it ignorant or naïve just to simply think that monchi and unai are simply footballing geniuses and we are getting 2 players that we want rather than we are getting 2 players as a compromise to make a deal that has to happen happen, agree @Zatman juve do have other players, no doubt a big part of this negotiation involved discussions on other players, no doubt we asked for someone better and they offered someone worse 

I'm not going to blindly believe that this is something we want just because of emery, its ignorant to believe that we picked up the phone to juve and said "we want mckennie and IJ" and they replied "yeah thats great cos we want luiz" to which we said "thats brilliant cos we're looking to cash in on him"

we're playing the best hand available to us, doesn't mean we're holding aces

Does it have to happen though?! Cash and Duran could easily be sold before the end of June or we could have sold the training ground or inner city academy to the owners if we were really desperate. I don't think emery would take on the extra salaries of 2 players he isn't going to play just to get there Luiz deal done as it would prevent him buying players that actually improve the squad. Send pretty unlikely to me. 

2 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I've perhaps missed it on previous pages in this threads - but what do our US based fans think of him?

They think he's great at Soccer but rubbish at Football

5 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I've perhaps missed it on previous pages in this threads - but what do our US based fans think of him?

More McGinn than Luiz. 

A “busy” player with athleticism, pace and power to pair with decent technique. Struggles to have a natural position because said athleticism means managers are eager to play him almost anywhere. 

For me, doesn’t really have the composure to play in Unai’s double pivot. Could play in the LM, RM or second striker position. Can do a job in the pivot but doesn’t have that pivotal calmness under pressure. 

A good burst of pace and ball carrying but lacks the killer pass in him. Still - a decent range of passing but not one for unlocking the final third. 

Surprisingly good in the air and a decent ground dueler. His defensive awareness has gone up notches since his return to Juventus but still not his forte. 

Mentality-wise, questions about his motivation and desire. A bit of a class clown like McGinn but one has to wonder what he can do under a manager like Unai who can get maximize his potential. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

More McGinn than Luiz. 

A “busy” player with athleticism, pace and power to pair with decent technique. Struggles to have a natural position because said athleticism means managers are eager to play him almost anywhere. 

For me, doesn’t really have the composure to play in Unai’s double pivot. Could play in the LM, RM or second striker position. Can do a job in the pivot but doesn’t have that pivotal calmness under pressure. 

A good burst of pace and ball carrying but lacks the killer pass in him. Still - a decent range of passing but not one for unlocking the final third. 

Surprisingly good in the air and a decent ground dueler. His defensive awareness has gone up notches since his return to Juventus but still not his forte. 

Mentality-wise, questions about his motivation and desire. A bit of a class clown like McGinn but one has to wonder what he can do under a manager like Unai who can get maximize his potential. 

his passing is awful

8 hours ago, MSvillain said:

I think its just a troublesome mate of his.

He's had an absolute shocker if he's letting anyone like that near his business affairs though!

They did wind up Leeds fans so not all bad 😛

19 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

His slightly Rubenesque features makes it hard for me to accept the fact that he as athletic and dynamic as everyone is telling me on here!

This is getting me, too.

Someone in our scouting team needs to add a "squishiness" factor to future transfers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

His slightly Rubenesque features makes it hard for me to accept the fact that he as athletic and dynamic as everyone is telling me on here!

Would you like an earl grey with that? 

5 hours ago, paul514 said:

his passing is awful

How can a international footballer (53 times) who plays for Juventus in the Champions league (18) be awful at passing.

Really...i get that people are little underwhelmed here but this kind of over reaction is not helping us....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

How can a international footballer (53 times) who plays for Juventus in the Champions league (18) be awful at passing.

Really...i get that people are little underwhelmed here but this kind of over reaction is not helping us....

It's either s*** or champagne, never any nuance. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

10 assists last season as well (same as Douglas but in 1400 less minutes).

Â