Weston McKennie

CarryOnVilla

Oh all of villatalk are in uproar, this is where I would bet against villatalk!

Is there anyway to bet on McKennie being good for villa next season?  

I'll stand my ground on here anyway. He'll be good for Villa if we sign him

I've never seen much of McKennie, tbh, but he has more to his game than I thought and I can see why we would be interested given how we seem to be building a group of midfielders who are all capable of playing multiple positions.

More generally with regard to our transfers I would say: Judge the squad at the end of the window, judge individual players after Emery and his staff have had time to coach them and improve their fitness.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I think his biggest problem is that he’s not Dougie 

Yeah kinda. Or at least that he's part of this deal with Dougie going the other way. He doesn't really replace Dougie or Kamara when it comes to abilities (he has others) so we still need 2 more midfielders. McKennie feels more like a McGinn option. I know some have faith in Ross Barkley being able to replace Kamara or Dougie but I don't trust him to do so.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I think his biggest problem is that he’s not Dougie 

His biggest problem is he's shite.

Still praying this deal is all a smokescreen and it falls through at the final minute.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Still praying this deal is all a smokescreen and it falls through at the final minute.

You need to get off that fence mate 👍

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

his biggest problem is that we're only getting him because Juve don't have £60m to buy Luiz 

he's a compromise to tick a box

This is a big part of it for me. Still burned from the Milner/Ireland deal I think, because if he doesn't actually want to be here you end up with a big, expensive depreciating asset swallowing up wages that nobody will want to take off your hands. 

That's not to say I think it would definitely not work out, but for me the potential risks outweigh the potential pros here because ultimately I just don't think he's good enough to justify the potential downsides. Serie A journos seem to be in agreement that he's quite limited technically and while you can't base an entire opinion of a player from a loan spell, at Leeds to me he looked unfit and unmotivated. 

12 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Was he shite for Juve last season and the seasons before that (bar the loan to Leeds, which came after an injury)? 

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah kinda. Or at least that he's part of this deal with Dougie going the other way. He doesn't really replace Dougie or Kamara when it comes to abilities (he has others) so we still need 2 more midfielders. McKennie feels more like a McGinn option. I know some have faith in Ross Barkley being able to replace Kamara or Dougie but I don't trust him to do so.

In my mind, Barkley is the rotation option for Luiz/Tielemans.  McKennie comes in as the rotation option for McGinn.  We then sign another midfielder later in the window.

• Like 3

Imagine the scenes when he scores directly from a corner in his first game and does the fishing rod celebration in front of the Holte.

Plus, he's named after every Brummie's favourite seaside destination, so I'm all in.

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

his biggest problem is that we're only getting him because Juve don't have £60m to buy Luiz 

he's a compromise to tick a box

Unai clearly rates him. He wouldn’t be part of the discussion otherwise. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if we sold luiz to arsenal for £60m would we then go and buy mckennie with the money?

would we ****

Maybe?  We've been linked with him before so... 😐 

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Unai clearly rates him. He wouldn’t be part of the discussion otherwise. 

he has to be part of the conversation because Juve don't have £60m

42 minutes ago, bobzy said:

In my mind, Barkley is the rotation option for Luiz/Tielemans.  McKennie comes in as the rotation option for McGinn.  We then sign another midfielder later in the window.

Yeah, hope that's it. Would really like Fofana from Monaco.

• Like 1

McKennie on in about 10 minutes for USA vs Brazil. 

USA playing Gregggg’s turgid 433 so not looking for anything impressive from McKennie but interesting to see him vs that Brazil midfield. 

Edited by DJBOB

Â