Weston McKennie

CarryOnVilla

Had a glance at his heat map/average position played this season and it makes for some interesting viewing, especially as it's been widely-regarded as the best he's played in recent years.

Screenshot_20240611_233141_Sofascore.jpg

I am sad Luiz is leaving, but Mckennie was really sought after whilst at Schalke, all the big clubs in for him. He has had a decent season this year at Juventus, and played a fair amount of games.

I was actually underwhelmed by the Tielemans signing last summer but ended it feeling he was one of our better (and one of my favourite) players this season. 

It could be a risk, but every signing is. Emery and team would not suffer fools. Let's hope he's this summers Youri ❤️ 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Had a glance at his heat map/average position played this season and it makes for some interesting viewing, especially as it's been widely-regarded as the best he's played in recent years.

Screenshot_20240611_233141_Sofascore.jpg

That backs up the RWB mentions

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

That backs up the RWB mentions

or it could just point to the right midfield position, that actually assists the RB defensively, but also does the right mid or inside right midfielder thing that Emery likes.

tbh, maybe its just versatility, could play RWB (or even RB???), could play RM, could play the more advanced central mid, could even play a 10, afaik mckennie is quite versatile, as long as he isnt asked to play as a 6.

Just now, MaVilla said:

or it could just point to the right midfield position, that actually assists the RB defensively, but also does the right mid or inside right midfielder thing that Emery likes.

tbh, maybe its just versatility, could play RWB (or even RB???), could play RM, could play the more advanced central mid, could even play a 10, afaik mckennie is quite versatile, as long as he isnt asked to play as a 6.

The RM he played last season line ups show 352 so RWB 

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I think that’s Unai’s intended use for him. Its still a bit of a store one to effectively trade Luiz for McKennie and Iling-Junior but there has been some thought to it. Two athletic, versatile players to supplement our lightweight squad. 

30 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I'm looking at McKennie as an upgrade on Dendoncker. He just happens to be part of the Luiz deal. 

I think we'll purchase a Doug replacement later in the window for good money.

To be clear, McKennie should not be seen as a Dendoncker replacement. 

In a pinch, like McGinn, McKennie can play as a 6 but it is by far not his best position and part of the reason he failed at Leeds. 

7 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Your dream is about to come true

Sounds exciting

Lots of good journalist have reported it. 

Blasts from the past! Looks like fans wanted him once upon of time. 

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

To be clear, McKennie should not be seen as a Dendoncker replacement. 

In a pinch, like McGinn, McKennie can play as a 6 but it is by far not his best position and part of the reason he failed at Leeds. 

That and the fact he was overweight. Another McGinn comparison.

4 hours ago, Ponky said:

I'm looking at McKennie as an upgrade on Dendoncker. He just happens to be part of the Luiz deal. 

I think we'll purchase a Doug replacement later in the window for good money.

barkley is the dendoncker replacement, not mckennie

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Or one of his legs is longer than the other, so he naturally drifts  into that position

• Haha 1

What type of midfielder is he then?

I see last season he picked up the same amount of assists (10) as Douglas, in 1,400 less minutes. No goals but still, seems a decent return.

Edited by Tom13

There is no way Emery (and Monchi) signs a player that they dont think they can get a tune out of. 

I'm pretty excited (if) McKennie signs. With a full preseason I think he could one of our better performers this coming season.

Also, I dont think he is Luiz replacement, that player will com e much later in the window.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

barkley is the dendoncker replacement, not mckennie

I used the word upgrade, not replacement. 

Dendoncker plays one role in our squad. McKennie's versatility means he can be used in a number of roles = an upgrade. 

23 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

This guy being back in the prem before Leeds is fun!

FWIW I think Tielemans is Dougie's replacement and McKennie is taking dendonkers role

Yep, for me Tielemans has to start next season, I was very, very impressed with him during the 2nd half of the season. 

I'd go as far to say we missed him hugely when he was out injured. 

McKennie is a upgrade on Chambers & Dendonker as an option. 

Â