Weston McKennie

CarryOnVilla

40 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

I’m judging him off what he’s done for previous clubs and the USMNT as that’s where I’ve watched him and know well enough of him even dating back to his academy days at FC Dallas - he’s more often crap and bang average in the USMNT. We shouldn’t be signing him, nor is he even remotely near the levels of Luiz. 

If he was “so good” for Juve, why are Juve so happy to get rid? 

It’s been covered. Juve want to keep him and have offered him a contract but he has turned it down. His contract expires next year so they need to sell as much as we do. 

Just now, Panto_Villan said:

I’m going to wait until he’s kicked a ball for us before writing him off.

10 mins into his first match or give him until at least half time? 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

10 mins into his first match or give him until at least half time? 😬

If his first kick of the ball isn’t the finest kick I’ve ever seen, I’m going to burn down Villa Park.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Quality over quantity. 

It it's an FFP fix we needed, then I'd rather have just taken the money. When I've watched him before in this league, he wasn't good enough.

Will still support him if he joins and I'm the first to admit I get a lot wrong (I was against the Archer/Ramsey sales, I wrote off McGinn and Watkins, etc, etc) - but just going off what PL football I've seen. Douglas Luiz is a level above both Barkley and McKennie. We've gone backwards in CM if this materialises (in my opinion).

They don’t have the money, hence why we’re buying two of their players.

15 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I’m going to wait until he’s kicked a ball for us before writing him off.

That's ridiculous! Write him off now.

1 hour ago, trillvillan said:

I’m judging him off what he’s done for previous clubs and the USMNT as that’s where I’ve watched him and know well enough of him even dating back to his academy days at FC Dallas - he’s more often crap and bang average in the USMNT. We shouldn’t be signing him, nor is he even remotely near the levels of Luiz. 

If he was “so good” for Juve, why are Juve so happy to get rid? 

Because he has turned down their offers of a new contract and he only has 1 year left on his deal

Juventus and McKennie cannot reach a compromise in contract talks | Juvefc.com

"Weston McKennie looks set to leave Juventus this summer as he and the club cannot agree on a new deal.

The American had his best season with the club in the last campaign after nearly leaving last summer."

Additionally Emery tried to get him to Villa in Jan 2023 window but we were too late moving for him he was too close to Leeds deal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

As an aside, I really hope the “his body is too warm” thing becomes a meme for the ages.

I can get into the science of it all, but I know a few still wouldn’t understand or comprehend 😉

McKennie is one of those players too… Why his fitness levels have come into question MANY of times. “Who ate all the pies…” 

https://www.gomberamd.com/blog/how-cold-weather-affects-sports-injuries-23105.html#:~:text=However%2C cold muscles must use,and break down more readily.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8471173/

1 minute ago, trillvillan said:

I can get into the science of it all, but I know a few still wouldn’t understand or comprehend 😉

McKennie is one of those players too… Why his fitness levels have come into question MANY of times. “Who ate all the pies…” 

https://www.gomberamd.com/blog/how-cold-weather-affects-sports-injuries-23105.html#:~:text=However%2C cold muscles must use,and break down more readily.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8471173/

Sure, I accept that cold temperatures can have negative effects on muscles, but I'm not sure I believe that any of our players have inherently hotter or colder bodies than any other. Clearly in some situations players might need some time to acclimatise to local temperatures / altitude / humidity, but that should only take a few months at most and it's not like Birmingham is particularly extreme on any of those measures.

(Also, even if you showed me cast-iron medical evidence that Weston McKennie had an unusually warm body, I'd still find the idea absolutely hilarious.)

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

Sure, I accept that cold temperatures can have negative effects on muscles, but I'm not sure I believe that any of our players have inherently hotter or colder bodies than any other. Clearly in some situations players might need some time to acclimatise to local temperatures / altitude / humidity, but that should only take a few months at most and it's not like Birmingham is particularly extreme on any of those measures.

(Also, even if you showed me cast-iron medical evidence that Weston McKennie had an unusually warm body, I'd still find the idea absolutely hilarious.)

But what I was initially referring to was he’s naturally accustomed to warmer temperatures and his fast twitch muscles fibers are that of a naturally warmer climate - he’s just one of those athletes. It happens. It’s happened to other players in the past and they can’t adapt to the Prem and its hectic lifestyle. Again, McKennie is one of those types. 

I can get into further detail but most still wouldn’t understand. Same goes for you. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

But what I was initially referring to was he’s naturally accustomed to warmer temperatures and his fast twitch muscles fibers are that of a naturally warmer climate - he’s just one of those athletes. It happens. It’s happened to other players in the past and they can’t adapt to the Prem and its hectic lifestyle. Again, McKennie is one of those types. 

I can get into further detail but most still wouldn’t understand. Same goes for you. 

Sure, if you say so. Given you've quoted two sources that contain absolutely no reference to different people having twitch fibers that respond to different temperature ranges (at least so far as I can tell from the skim read), you can colour me skeptical.

And even if the science does happen to be true, it's quite a leap from "he was rubbish at Leeds and not great at Schalke" to "his deficient muscles mean he's physically unable to play well in cold weather". He spent a season being rubbish at Juventus too, didn't he? Was it unusually cold in Italy that year?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

He’s basically a more central Matty Cash.

Oh, now you've done it... 

• Haha 2

Probably not what people want to hear atm but having an American to boost our profile when the World Cup is over there soon could be great marketing.

Providing we keep him away from the burgers of course…

• Haha 1

Â