Weston McKennie

CarryOnVilla

1 minute ago, Cizzler said:

Quality over quantity. 

It it's an FFP fix we needed, then I'd rather have just taken the money. When I've watched him before in this league, he wasn't good enough.

Will still support him if he joins and I'm the first to admit I get a lot wrong (I was against the Archer/Ramsey sales, I wrote off McGinn and Watkins, etc, etc) - but just going off what PL football I've seen. Douglas Luiz is a level above both Barkley and McKennie. We've gone backwards in CM if this materialises (in my opinion).

He was at a disjointed basket case of a team tbf - he didn't do well but this season just gone was a lot more impressive by all accounts. 

Besides, if Emery wants him and thinks he can do a job, then why not? 

McKennie would surely be playing the Kamara role until Boubs is back fit. 

On his ability, he played in a woeful Leeds side, the US national side ain't exactly the greatest and Juve ain't the force they once were. 

If he is coming here, there is a strong argument he will be playing in a Midfield stronger than anything he's been involved with before and we know Emery can take a player and squeeze them like a lemon so they over perform. 

I think the bed wetting is a bit arrogant to be honest, yes we are in the Champions League but last season showed us, we lacked depth, especially in Midfield. 

I'd much rather have this guy as an option than Dendonker or Chambers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He’s admitted his faults at Leeds and turned it around for Juve. I know people are sceptical but maybe give the lad a chance 

Seen enough of him for the USMNT as well and he’s a pedestrian in those games against some very bad international sides. Lacks no inspiration, no excitement. Very dull and there’s many other USMNT players better than him. I’ll take Yunus Musah every day of the week and twice on Sunday over him. 

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He was at a disjointed basket case of a team tbf - he didn't do well but this season just gone was a lot more impressive by all accounts. 

Besides, if Emery wants him and thinks he can do a job, then why not? 

I mean, even though Emery's presided over an immense season - I think you're still allowed to apply critical thinking.

Emery wanted Diaby. I think it's fair to say, after a full season, there were likely better options out there for £55m.

From when I watched him play for Leeds, I think he's a massive step-down from Douglas Luiz. That's all I'm really saying. I'm sure he'll come in and do a job in some games. But him (and Barkley) are a tier below the player we're selling (in my view). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I mean, even though Emery's presided over an immense season - I think you're still allowed to apply critical thinking.

Emery wanted Diaby. I think it's fair to say, after a full season, there were likely better options out there for £55m.

From when I watched him play for Leeds, I think he's a massive step-down from Douglas Luiz. That's all I'm really saying. I'm sure he'll come in and do a job in some games. But him (and Barkley) are a tier below the player we're selling (in my view). 

How good did our squad look before Emery came in though? We were questioning whether McGinn could cut it in the prem.

You can't judge McKennie after seeing him play half a season at an awful relegation side.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be judging McKennie on his 3 and half months at Leeds. It would be like judging McGinn, or in fact Luiz, on their performances in the last 3 and half months of Gerrard's reign.

Since that very brief Leeds spell McKennie has been a fixture in a very good side that finished 3rd last season in one of the best leagues in Europe and also won the Coppa Italia. 

Still only 25, plenty of top level experience and can cover a number of positions. If he comes then he looks a very decent addition to the squad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

How good did our squad look before Emery came in though? We were questioning whether McGinn could cut it in the prem.

You can't judge McKennie after seeing him play half a season at an awful relegation side.

Under a crap.manager too. 

Just now, markavfc40 said:

I wouldn't be judging McKennie on his 3 and half months at Leeds. It would be like judging McGinn, or in fact Luiz, on their performances in the last 3 and half months of Gerrard's reign.

Since that very brief Leeds spell McKennie has been a fixture in a very good side that finished 3rd last season in one of the best leagues in Europe and also won the Coppa Italia. 

Still only 25, plenty of top level experience and can cover a number of positions. If he comes then he looks a very decent addition to the squad.

I agree with this post completely.  Id also argue that WM is not a DL replacement.  He's just another midfielder to add to our squad depth.  Frankly I think he's more of a squad rotation option to compete with SJM- they have similar profiles.  IMO we already have the DL replacement on the squad- Youri.  I think YT and RBarkley will rotate in the DL slot- for now.  We are primarily short DM(s).  That is where I think AVFC will target when the window opens- we need a player(s) to fill the Kamara spot while he's out and compete when he returns.  Who?  I don't know.  Many possibilities.  

UTV

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Which reaction do we think has been more over the top, this possible deal or the new badge? 

yes.

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Which reaction do we think has been more over the top, this possible deal or the new badge? 

Do you mean those defending a shit badge or this poor deal…yep they have been on the defensive big time

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Loves a header according to his highlights real. Might be good for our woeful set piece record. 

Yet we sold our set piece taker 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Yet we sold our set piece taker 😂

This part worries me. He is our penalty, free kick and corner taker. That will definitely need to be sorted.

I don't rate McKennie one bit and am sad we ended having to swap Luiz for him. It's really quite depressing.

• Like 3

Similar to Heck and the other cocksuckers making a mess of everything off the pitch, and not receiving any flak...this can easily work because of Unai Emery.

Of course, great it if does, but needing your manager to exceed expectations constantly isn't helping him out too much.

This is just not a good deal for us.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

Â