Weston McKennie

CarryOnVilla

7 hours ago, paul514 said:

his passing is awful

His passing is not Buendia, Kamara or Luiz levels, that is true. 

Again - it’s much like McGinn.  He can have only 25 passes the whole match at a low completion % but will usually have a few key passes a match. 

2 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

His slightly Rubenesque features makes it hard for me to accept the fact that he as athletic and dynamic as everyone is telling me on here!

Our very own McGinn is self admittedly meatball esque in shape too. 

In general, I think Unai and co. are targeting more squishiness types. Between McKennie, Iling-Junior, and Barkley - there’s a sense that we might be trading some flair for rugby. 

Villa are expected to complete a deal that will see Douglas Luiz join Juventus with the club collecting around £20 million and taking midfielder Weston McKennie, who could be utilised at right-back, and former Chelsea utility player Samuel Iling-Junior.

Chelsea granted permission to talk to Jhon Duran as Aston Villa enquire about Ian Maatsen (telegraph.co.uk)

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

In general, I think Unai and co. are targeting more squishiness types. Between McKennie, Iling-Junior, and Barkley - there’s a sense that we might be trading some flair for rugby. 

Wow......I am not sure of what your terminology of squishiness is supposed to represent, but your last description, leaves me baffled.....and you think our manager would do that?.....not respecting the abundance of flair, we already have.

I trust the manager, implicitly in his approach to building the side, and his movements within the rules of PSR are proving to be tricky.....but I don't suspect any compromise in his thoughts, to his overall vision, for us.

We had issues, last season, despite our great finish.....issues in the main with conceding too many, and too easily, soft goals......I am not surprised, that will have resonated in the managers mind, so when he goes about strengthening under difficult and restrictive circumstances, it doesn't surprise me in some of the links we have...Of course they are only links, and until we see, who we have actually signed, its difficult to judge.

I am quietly confident, when the strengthening has concluded.....We will be a stronger team, even if some folk, think we have sacrificed, better players, as individuals......I trust this manager, to build a better team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I am quietly confident, when the strengthening has concluded.....We will be a stronger team, even if some folk, think we have sacrificed, better players, as individuals......I trust this manager, to build a better team. 

I share your confidence TRO. 👍

12 hours ago, DJBOB said:

What's a squishiness type? Also, Barkley doesn't lack ability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Don't want to be a buzz killer, but I'm sincerely baffled about how anyone could be looking forward to the prospect of Weston McKennie at Villa. Mediocre player and Leeds cast-off who has an attitude. Surely we can do better?

Technically limited and not much of an upgrade on Dendoncker tbh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

Wow......I am not sure of what your terminology of squishiness is supposed to represent, but your last description, leaves me baffled.....and you think our manager would do that?.....not respecting the abundance of flair, we already have.

I trust the manager, implicitly in his approach to building the side, and his movements within the rules of PSR are proving to be tricky.....but I don't suspect any compromise in his thoughts, to his overall vision, for us.

We had issues, last season, despite our great finish.....issues in the main with conceding too many, and too easily, soft goals......I am not surprised, that will have resonated in the managers mind, so when he goes about strengthening under difficult and restrictive circumstances, it doesn't surprise me in some of the links we have...Of course they are only links, and until we see, who we have actually signed, its difficult to judge.

On the contrary, I think McKennie, Barkley, and Iling-Junior have a lot of technical ability.

But I get the sense that Unai is gearing up for UCL and we'll need to dig in for players who can carry the water like McKennie and Barkley to let others shine (Watkins/Bailey/Rogers/Diaby) in 1v1 situations.

Edited by DJBOB

7 hours ago, DJBOB said:

It's interesting that the tone is Leeds cast off instead of Juventus and UCL starter.

I'm nostalgic of the mentions of get rid of Luiz, McGinn, Watkins, and Bailey under a poor manager like Gerrard. I think it's telling that Jesse Marsch has ended up managing a poor Canadian national team and a reminder that McKennie's time in Leeds should be viewed with the appropriate context.

I think there's reasons to worry, but on the upside, McKennie is a player who has not come close to his ceiling and might just stumble into the right environment at VP and under Unai to let him reach it.

A lot of people only really watch the Premier League so their only impression of him comes from his time at Leeds. 

8 hours ago, DJBOB said:

It's interesting that the tone is Leeds cast off instead of Juventus and UCL starter.

I'm nostalgic of the mentions of get rid of Luiz, McGinn, Watkins, and Bailey under a poor manager like Gerrard. I think it's telling that Jesse Marsch has ended up managing a poor Canadian national team and a reminder that McKennie's time in Leeds should be viewed with the appropriate context.

I think there's reasons to worry, but on the upside, McKennie is a player who has not come close to his ceiling and might just stumble into the right environment at VP and under Unai to let him reach it.

Hallelujah! 100% this, Emery obviously thinks he can work with these players. That’s good enough for me.

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Don't want to be a buzz killer, but I'm sincerely baffled about how anyone could be looking forward to the prospect of Weston McKennie at Villa. Mediocre player and Leeds cast-off who has an attitude. Surely we can do better?

Because we're in the CL, life is good and it's not worth getting upset about really. Maybe I got old, maybe my priorities changed , or maybe I don't see the need to worry about the clubs transfer policy.

We're up there. We ain't suddenly going to drop well off and we will drop off, it's life.

I can just imagine the fallout when we finish a 'disgusting' 7th next season

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

People in here acting like we just signed Eirik Bakke on a free, or Djemba Djemba.

If he plays like he did at Leeds then Bakke is the better player, if he plays like last season at Juve we may have something to work with.  So was his time at Leeds what we’ll get or last season at Juve what’ll we’ll get as that’s all we have because before that at Juve he was injured for a long time.  The jury is out!  Only time will tell whether we have the next Bakke/DJx2 or a quality player.  It would be disingenuous to say he’s definitely going to be good.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If he plays like he did at Leeds then Bakke is the better player, if he plays like last season at Juve we may have something to work with.  So was his time at Leeds what we’ll get or last season at Juve what’ll we’ll get as that’s all we have because before that at Juve he was injured for a long time.  The jury is out!  Only time will tell whether we have the next Bakke/DJx2 or a quality player.  It would be disingenuous to say he’s definitely going to be good.

Can he do it without the "special" Juve injections and pills? 😉

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â