Mario Hermoso

MadridVilla

Posted (edited)

Would be a confusing signing - Mings is the oddity if Hermoso signs, as we'd have 3 LCBs - 2 of whom could cover LB.

Torres is obviously 1st choice, and Hermoso is not leaving Atletico Madrid to be 2nd choice at Aston Villa and will play a lot more than Lenglet did... Which leaves us these options/solutions;

1) If we played a 4 then Carlos leaves and Mings on bench as backup RCB

2) Digne and Moreno are off, with Mings/Hermoso as backup for Maatsen with Hermoso as LCB rotation for Torres' dodgy calf/ankle.

3) We're going to play 3 CBs as a regular thing, which will see us with Konsa, Torres, Carlos, Hermoso and Mings as options. Carlos and Mings as the backups.

4) Hermoso will be the RCB back up as well and Carlos is off

5) Mings is finished/leaving

I'd lean towards 3, but then the balance of the attacking shape that's worked so well for 18 months will have to change.

Edited by StewieGriffin

5 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I mean, there’s a reason you rarely see two left footed centre backs.

Discrimination!

• Like 1

Well also Left footer would never have practiced on the right while right footers will have practiced on the left.

Beautiful theme update

I have received information from a friend of Hermoso who confirms that he wants to go to Aston Villa (and that he will go there)

Thanks to all the people from England and Birmingham who have spread the word, I hope it is true that it ends there

I am not inventing anything, I have only told the information I received.

Yes, I have asked someone very important at Aston Villa and they do not confirm it.

Something is 100% true. Hermoso's first option and his favorite is the Premier.

• Thanks 1

It's a good signing for depth. Endless CL experience with Atletico and we can ease him into the team.

Mings is coming back off a horrific injury and Pau had two separate spells out last season and even in the run in we didn't want to risk him v Olympiakos so that is where having another quality CB is essential.

Someone did ask above if he's better than Lenglet. That's an interesting question as Carlos-Lenglet was by a mile our worst CB combination last season so hopefully Hermoso could gel better with Diego if they're paired together.

I think this would be very smart.

Experienced, including CL. Cover at LB, in the same way that Konsa covers RB - which is clearly how Unai likes to set a team out.

He also allows us to move on other players  - Carlos, Digne, Moreno for example - a lot of wages there. (We would still have Munroe and Chrisene for LB cover, who I think are ahead of Sousa).

His age isn't ideal but he also seems like the sort of player that could move on to Saudi in a couple of years - and with only wages for PSR purposes, gives some flexibility (not that I believe this would be necessary). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Because less people are left footed than right

Without labouring the argument that comes up every transfer window, you'd be hard-pressed to find any coach out there that would willingly play a left-footed pairing at centre back. Because there are less of them, they almost exclusively play on that side and are therefore both uncomfortable on the right side and seen as not being able to offer proper balance when playing there, which is more valued now than ever.

Regarding Hermoso, I'd imagine in the event he signed his role is essentially replacing Lenglet in the squad as Mings will continue to be out for a while. He can additionally play as a more defensive option at full back in the event that someone more attacking like Cash was playing on the other side.

1 hour ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

I mean, there’s a reason you rarely see two left footed centre backs.

A difference between most left-handed and right-handed people is that those who are best with the left usually have a better left foot than right-handed people have the right foot. But those who are best with their left have an almost inept right foot. Enough to look at Torres, Messi and many others with a good left foot. Obviously exceptions like Dembele.

This means that it is generally better to have a right-footed player in the left centre-back position, as Konsa did yesterday, than to have a left-footed player on the right side of the defence. This means that there are very rarely two left-footed centre-backs in the same team.

• Like 1

Emery does like language pairings too in CB and full back. Digne and Lenglet would often be one pairing, Moreno and Torres another (when all fit). So would make sense if we are signing him and selling Moreno.

And obviously, no, it’s not always the case and it doesn’t mean we will sign a Dutch CB to play with Maatsen. It’s just one of many factors but it’s always one that jumps out to me as uniquely Emery.

We're all hoping it'll be a long season with lots of games so I think we need a minimum of 5 senior CBs for next season regardless of whether we play a 2 or 3 at the back. If it's 3 lefties and 2 righties or the other way round, I'm not fussed. 

Hermoso wouldn't have been my personal choice (as I'd have kept Carlos and got a younger CB) but this is who Unai wants and allows us to upgrade Carlos later in the window if a player becomes available. 

We then have 3 first team options at both LB (Maatsen, Digne, Moreno) and RB (Cash, Ned, KKH) with others who can cover each. I like the amount of depth we have as now we can trim if needed but won't be making any desperate purchases like some clubs.

Long story short... well done Monchi, keep it up (Kenneth.gif)

I think Hermoso will be the cover for Torres. Mings will then become the defensive alternative to Maatsen, similar to how Konsa was the Cash alternative at RB last season. (he started as a LB at Ipswich I believe). We will then sell both Moreno & Digne. One in the summer, and one in January if/once Tyrone is up to speed.  

This then gives us the option to play a combination of 2, 3, or 4 defensively minded defenders dependant on the opposition, and dependant on the side we need to be more defensive, similar to how City play 3 or 4x CBs in some games . 

So-

LB attacking- Maatsen

LB defensive- Mings

LCB #1- Torres

LCB #2- Hermoso

RCB #1- Konsa

RCB #2- Carlos

RB attacking- Cash

RB defensive- Nedeljkovic

All options covered…..

• Like 3

I mean he's just value for money so might aswell get him. 

Guess he would play LCB LB or LCB in a 3. Just wonder if he will be happy not being first choice but he would get 30 games a season. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â