Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

17 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm not a fan that attends Villa games, so it has absolutely zero impact on me, but I think the ticket prices constantly going up is grim.  There's so much money in football, we could comfortably keep prices low and encourage fans to attend from all economic backgrounds.

Your first line encapsulates it perfectly - and I don't think it has always been that way.  Before, fans were fans whose most important aspect was generating an atmosphere and supporting the team.  Now, fans are customers whose most important aspect is spending money at the ground.

If you want to compete you have to generate revenue 🤷‍♂️

if all clubs agreed not to do it then it would be a different matter

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bobzy said:

I'm not a fan that attends Villa games, so it has absolutely zero impact on me, but I think the ticket prices constantly going up is grim.  There's so much money in football, we could comfortably keep prices low and encourage fans to attend from all economic backgrounds.

Your first line encapsulates it perfectly - and I don't think it has always been that way.  Before, fans were fans whose most important aspect was generating an atmosphere and supporting the team.  Now, fans are customers whose most important aspect is spending money at the ground.

You realise keeping all ticket prices low means it will be impossible to get a ticket to a game for any fans who don't know season ticket holders or who don't have good booking history. By creating different price categories it makes it possible for fans who live further away to get a ticket to a game and go. Remember the ticket prices is not the expensive part of going to a game. When I lived in Dublin it was flights, accommodation, buying dinner and drinks, the match ticket, taxi etc. Visitng Birmingham to go to a Villa game is overall a big cost. We would rather be able to buy tickets, I don't care if it's £100 as the whole trip is running you over £400 anyway, if ticket is £50 or£ 60 is irrelevant really when you are making the commitment. 

What is relevant is the scarcity of tickets and how hard it is to get a few tickets. Also I like what the club are planning for around Villa Park when that opens so can go to ground early before game. 

What the club are doing is catering to the non locally living fans who want to go to games and that's great. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

You realise keeping all ticket prices low means it will be impossible to get a ticket to a game for any fans who don't know season ticket holders or who don't have good booking history. By creating different price categories it makes it possible for fans who live further away to get a ticket to a game and go. Remember the ticket prices is not the expensive part of going to a game. When I lived in Dublin it was flights, accommodation, buying dinner and drinks, the match ticket, taxi etc. Visitng Birmingham to go to a Villa game is overall a big cost. We would rather be able to buy tickets, I don't care if it's £100 as the whole trip is running you over £400 anyway, if ticket is £50 or£ 60 is irrelevant really when you are making the commitment. 

What is relevant is the scarcity of tickets and how hard it is to get a few tickets. Also I like what the club are planning for around Villa Park when that opens so can go to ground early before game. 

What the club are doing is catering to the non locally living fans who want to go to games and that's great. 

Such a good point as thats exactly the costs i have when i come as ill book a hotel to come weekend then its the travel food etc

At least most people live in brum and dont have to undertake those costs for home games

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This makes absolutely no sense. It’s expensive to go anyway so they may as well charge us more 😂

They're not catering to non local fans, they’re just getting the most revenue out of the fan base that they can. 

That’s not a negative. It is what it is. That’s modern football. But let’s not pretend it’s som generous offering to fans who live further away. 

If they cared about that they’d allocate more tickets to fan groups or make it a criteria that a certain amount go to foreign fans. 

This is about money. Call it what it is

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Such a good point as thats exactly the costs i have when i come as ill book a hotel to come weekend then its the travel food etc

At least most people live in brum and dont have to undertake those costs for home games

Hotels and Trains are really expensive now. They've gone up a lot. The slow train to Birmingham if you book a couple months in advance is £70 return. Then a Hotel is like £150 for a night which is madness. Throw in food and drink and you're already well over £250 before the cost of the ticket. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Hotels and Trains are really expensive now. They've gone up a lot. The slow train to Birmingham if you book a couple months in advance is £70 return. Then a Hotel is like £150 for a night which is madness. Throw in food and drink and you're already well over £250 before the cost of the ticket. 

The hotels in brum have really got expensive near new street now. Im suprised people pay the prices.

Also i agree the train tickets havw gone up alot. I use to be able to go for like £25 return now its treble that

This is main reasons i dont go as much anymore tbh cost as much as a flight to Cyprus these days 

Edited by Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This makes absolutely no sense. It’s expensive to go anyway so they may as well charge us more 😂

They're not catering to non local fans, they’re just getting the most revenue out of the fan base that they can. 

That’s not a negative. It is what it is. That’s modern football. But let’s not pretend it’s som generous offering to fans who live further away. 

If they cared about that they’d allocate more tickets to fan groups or make it a criteria that a certain amount go to foreign fans. 

This is about money. Call it what it is

It's simple, by creating different price points for tickets they are making the more expensive ones more available (ie there is less demand for those). This means it's easier to get a ticket to the game, not easier to get a cheap ticket, just a ticket. If we're dedicating a weekend and hundreds of pounds to go see Villa paying £40 more for a ticket with good seat is a good deal. Paying !£100+ for a ticket is also doable really a trip up will cost around £300 before the ticket anyway. It's a nightmare getting tickets if you don't know season ticket holders. 

50 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If you want to compete you have to generate revenue 🤷‍♂️

if all clubs agreed not to do it then it would be a different matter

How much do we make in a season on ticket sales? 

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The tickets aren’t the most expensive part for you. For most, they will be.

Aren’t tickets on booking history now anyway? You might have a further restriction perhaps, but it would basically operate on the same model.

FWIW, I’d have a free for all… I’m guessing they don’t do that because of ticket resales :D 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The hotels in brum have really got expensive near new street now. Im suprised people pay the prices.

Also i agree the train tickets havw gone up alot. I use to be able to go for like £25 return now its treble that

This is main reasons i dont go as much anymore tbh cost as much as a flight to Cyprus these days 

It's crazy that Ryanair flighs from Dub to Brum are cheaper than the train from London !! I agree, I can't believe the price of Hotels in central Brum now. Hotels in England in general far more expensive than Spain or Greece 

14 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Uproar would be justified and it wouldn't be a fair market value. United have 184m social media followers, we have 12m. I'm also 100% sure that many many more people watch United games than ours, regardless if they play in Champions League or not.

This is my exact point.  We've just signed a record deal that could be worth over double our previous deal (possibly depending on conditions) and yet the suggestion is that we are faffing around because Utd sign a deal three times bigger.  When Man City blew everyone out of the water with their sponsorship deal (which also didn't match what they should have been able to get) in order to compete there was no "fair value" assessment.  It was brought in so that clubs like Utd can continue to bring in massive amounts of money and argue that it is fair and then block other clubs doing the same by saying it isn't fair.  These rules make it much harder for clubs like us to close the gap and in fact only serve to help increase the gap - as someone else said if we increase our sponsorship by 10% and Utd do the same they move further ahead.  But if we were to increase our sponsorship again by 200% then someone somewhere would call foul play.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The tickets aren’t the most expensive part for you. For most, they will be.

Yes, that's my entire point though. I and the other who have to travel to Birmingham and stay overnight to see Villa play, we pay a lot in total to go to a game and the ticket is a small part of it. What is the most difficult part and most annoying is getting tickets. If the price increases make tickets more available then that's great. 

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It's crazy that Ryanair flighs from Dub to Brum are cheaper than the train from London !! I agree, I can't believe the price of Hotels in central Brum now. Hotels in England in general far more expensive than Spain or Greece 

Its like london hotel prices in Central alot of these brum hotels near new street now. Never use to be like this.

They really are. Guess they are going to blame covid for that. But while people pay they will still keep ripping us off

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

At least the hotels in the city centre are opening up additional price points to make it easier for those who can afford it to find a room and it's good to see the train operators are also helping to make sure that there's less chance of you having to stand by letting more people pay a higher price. It's offering the choice to pay those rates that's helping customers find availability. I personally think there's scope to double those hotel prices as I don't use a hotel very often.

Bingo. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

It's simple, by creating different price points for tickets they are making the more expensive ones more available (ie there is less demand for those). This means it's easier to get a ticket to the game, not easier to get a cheap ticket, just a ticket. If we're dedicating a weekend and hundreds of pounds to go see Villa paying £40 more for a ticket with good seat is a good deal. Paying !£100+ for a ticket is also doable really a trip up will cost around £300 before the ticket anyway. It's a nightmare getting tickets if you don't know season ticket holders. 

I'm not disagreeing that it will make it easier to get a ticket.

What I'm saying is that's a symptom of what they're doing. It's not the cause.

They're not doing that because they want to make tickets more available for foreign fans, they're doing it because they'll get more money.

You're doing a lot of mental gymnastics to twist these price rises into a positive

LIke I said, I know prices have to go up. It absolutely sucks, but it's part of trying to dine at the top table.
But let's take our tongue out of Heck's arse and stop pretending this is actually the club doing a favour for the fans. That's absolute nonsense

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

LIke I said, I know prices have to go up. It absolutely sucks, but it's part of trying to dine at the top table.
But let's take our tongue out of Heck's arse and stop pretending this is actually the club doing a favour for the fans. That's absolute nonsense

I'll be honest, I don't think they do need to go up.  We don't need to squeeze the fans.

I've looked at our 22/23 accounts because that came up first and I can't be bothered going any further - overall revenue was £218m with gate receipts accounting for £19m of that figure - or, around about 9%.  Apparently this followed a 10% ticket price increase, so we can broad strokes assume that £17m would be the base figure if ticket prices didn't increase.  If we treated the fans well at a time of economic hardship, our revenue would have been £216m, with gate receipts accounting for around £17m.

It's absolutely **** all in the grand scheme of things - but other aspects have absolutely flown up.  Wages increase of £57.2m in the year.  How about we try and really, really penny pinch on the footballers earning a **** fortune rather than penny pinching the fans? It's just not needed - I don't buy that we need to increase ticket prices to "compete".

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I'll be honest, I don't think they do need to go up.  We don't need to squeeze the fans.

I've looked at our 22/23 accounts because that came up first and I can't be bothered going any further - overall revenue was £218m with gate receipts accounting for £19m of that figure - or, around about 9%.  Apparently this followed a 10% ticket price increase, so we can broad strokes assume that £17m would be the base figure if ticket prices didn't increase.  If we treated the fans well at a time of economic hardship, our revenue would have been £216m, with gate receipts accounting for around £17m.

It's absolutely **** all in the grand scheme of things - but other aspects have absolutely flown up.  Wages increase of £57.2m in the year.  How about we try and really, really penny pinch on the footballers earning a **** fortune rather than penny pinching the fans? It's just not needed - I don't buy that we need to increase ticket prices to "compete".

Unfortunately I think we're in the scenario where they "need" to squeeze every ounce of revenue out of everything.

And by "need" I mean to hit their target of £400m revenue. What we actually "need" is subjevtive

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â