Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

8 hours ago, Powehi said:

I get this, but the double standards with him and Ramsey is annoying me. With Bailey, its 'we can't afford to carry him right now!!' with Ramsey its 'he's coming back from an injury' (which seems to have been the line for ages) 'needs more time' 'we know our JJ will get there'

Needs to be the same treatment applied to all the players in our squad who are returning from injury or out of form.

Indeed, Ramsey just like Bailey has not hit his previous levels or even looked close.

I know we have tweeked how we play but it shouldn't have blunted 2 of our most talented attackers.

On 23/10/2024 at 19:45, cheltenham_villa said:

I think Unai knows that right now we're probably playing well enough to keep Leon in the team and hope he can find form. At some point this season we will need him to be on form. 

A lot of his best form last year came from the bench, coming on and helping get the goal to kill off a team. 

Losing form is a wretched thing to happen to you, because so many speculative forces zoom around in your head as to why. In many cases they don't know what's causing it, paradoxically it's the same when confidence is sky high, rarely does the player know why.

I think one of the major things is "trying too hard".....meaning trying too hard to overcome it.

I suspect taking him out of the pressure cooker, he thinks he's in, and ease him back, gradually, will help.

Getting on his back is counter productive, and all we will be doing is giving in to OUR own frustrations.

He will be, beside himself with this guys.....Let's help him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 24/10/2024 at 10:04, brummybloke said:

Indeed, Ramsey just like Bailey has not hit his previous levels or even looked close.

I know we have tweeked how we play but it shouldn't have blunted 2 of our most talented attackers.

Both will get their mojo back....It's just a matter of time.

The problem is right now, We are flying and the fans are looking for top performances from everyone....and nearly everyone is delivering, so a a couple of players slightly below par, will stand out.

Nothing wrong with high standards, but we need to get behind them who are struggling for form.

The machine is clearly well oiled and it takes top performances to stay in the first eleven....But we as fans will be defined by our ability to stay loyal to the players, who are not having the best of times.

Let's not get carried away with being too entitled, We are doing great, and we do have room for a bit of empathy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Losing form is a wretched thing to happen to you, because so many speculative forces zoom around in your head as to why. In many cases they don't know what's causing it, paradoxically it's the same when confidence is sky high, rarely does the player know why.

I think one of the major things is "trying too hard".....meaning trying too hard to overcome it.

I suspect taking him out of the pressure cooker, he thinks he's in, and ease him back, gradually, will help.

Getting on his back is counter productive, and all we will be doing is giving in to OUR own frustrations.

He will be, beside himself with this guys.....Let's help him.

If you think back to the start of last season, Bailey wasnt starting, he was terrorising tired defences for the last 30 minutes of games. Eventually it was impossible not to start him due to his form. Id start by trying to recreate that.

Ive also seen many others make the case that last year he was often really playing a second striker role similar to the one Rogers is now in. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Good interview with Bailey on Sky. Admits since his injury he is finding it hard to get back to form and is no where near where he needs to be. But says he's working as hard as he can to get back to where he needs to be.

I guessing after Christmas we will see his form return.

I guess for now we should keep him on bench get him later. Jaden has to start featuring more he’s done well defensively but needs to offer more offensively. Our next couple of games are tough, we’ll demand more from players.

2 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

I guess for now we should keep him on bench get him later. Jaden has to start featuring more he’s done well defensively but needs to offer more offensively. Our next couple of games are tough, we’ll demand more from players.

Unfortunately he's in the situation where he needs minutes to gat his form back. He won't get to full fitness in training and sitting on the bench.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Unfortunately he's in the situation where he needs minutes to gat his form back. He won't get to full fitness in training and sitting on the bench.

Good he was taken out of firing line and put on the bench. He won't get his confidence back by falling over his own feet while the whole stadium is watching. Put him on tired defences in the 2nd half.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

It took him forever to get back to form after his last injury spell. He has nowhere near the pace he had before the injury. 

Need him to come into form though. Few players offer the 1v1 ability that he can when on form. 

He’s lackin go a bit of confidence and also has that “second season” syndrome (yes I know it’s it second season, but last ye was his big year) where he is being hit harder and double teamed. First few minutes after coming in he was wiped out by the Bournemouth defence. 

12 hours ago, DeepDish said:

He wasn't as indecisive today as he has been in the last matches. And he had a nice assist, so let's hope he can build on that.

Yea it was a nice assist, showed more composure than he has been. I think it will be a big boost for him, hopefully he can keep that for the Palace game.

23 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Good interview with Bailey on Sky. Admits since his injury he is finding it hard to get back to form and is no where near where he needs to be. But says he's working as hard as he can to get back to where he needs to be.

I guessing after Christmas we will see his form return.

By all accounts he is a great trainer as well. Any problems he’s having won’t be down to lack of trying.

• Like 2

I’m getting a little tired of him tbh. He’s really only had one purple patch here. If he really is as injured as he says why on earth is he even playing? The constant running into nothing falling over and losing the ball is seriously tiresome. 

• Like 1

It is testament to Bailey that he is actually playing and not sitting on the side-lines; many players with injuries just take the time off and wait until the injury has subsided.

However, I guess with a bit of luck he'll find some fitness and consequently his form again soon.

Last season he was very good and consistent; I do feel for him as he is trying hard.

I was very critical of Bailey early on but now I know of his injuries which blighted his first season. He has credit and he needs time and our support.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â