Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I don’t think he’s fully fit at the moment but still our best option at RM.

If we're assuming he's not fully fit then a 100% philogene is definitely a better option than an 80% Bailey 

• Like 1

I know he's coming back from injury, but he just needs about 3 things to go right in a row for him, he's that kind of player.

He probably should have had a few more fouls that he has been given, and that would frustrate anyone.

It's strange to say that he's the weak link in the team right now (along with right back), especially after last year. 

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The posts about him being useless are way over the top…

At the moment, he really is useless ...... he really is !

I accept that he is low on confidence and off his game but Villa are a side trying to battle at the top end of every competition they take part in and we can't operate as some sort of therapy centre for struggling players ..... especially when we have others waiting in the wings. He needs to rediscover some sort of form (not that I think he ever had much to shout about) either playing with our development sides or even out on loan in a lower division. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zero7 said:

Is he genuinely playing with an injury or low on confidence and Unai is trying to play him into form? He was literally Bailey 1.0 not the 2.0 we had last season 

it's an assumption many have made on here despite emery saying that the squad is fully fit

5 hours ago, tomav84 said:

If we're assuming he's not fully fit then a 100% philogene is definitely a better option than an 80% Bailey 

Sure but I don't think Philogene is fully fit either. They are both carrying niggling knocks which effects there ability to beat their man. 

2 hours ago, Paul33 said:

At the moment, he really is useless ...... he really is !

I accept that he is low on confidence and off his game but Villa are a side trying to battle at the top end of every competition they take part in and we can't operate as some sort of therapy centre for struggling players ..... especially when we have others waiting in the wings. He needs to rediscover some sort of form (not that I think he ever had much to shout about) either playing with our development sides or even out on loan in a lower division

FFS 🤣 !!  

He was up there for one of our best players last term. A senior pro and you think playing in a development side or loaning him out to a lower division is going to happen. Just stop right there 😂.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think some of the criticism he is getting here (and in the match thread last night) is a bit harsh. Was he his brilliant self last night, no, but he wasn’t useless. A few things in my mind are worth considering (1) All wingers (not just Bailey) are fuelled by confidence, I feel that if one thing comes off, he will be recharged and take people on more, making him look like he is contributing more (2) Despite how long he’s been with us, this year has a bit of a feel of second year syndrome for him. Last year was the first time people from other teams really noticed him. Last year he was one of the best wingers in the league. That means that this year people have taken more time to analyse him, make tactical plans to deal with him or double up on him - he will need to adapt a bit to deal with this. (3) whether he is still carrying something or not, he is just coming back from injury - he will need a few games to play himself into form - at the start of the year, we all gave Ollie that bit of space, we should do the same with Leon.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

FFS 🤣 !!  

He was up there for one of our best players last term. A senior pro and you think playing in a development side or loaning him out to a lower division is going to happen. Just stop right there 😂.

Last season.. and the 2 seasons prior ? 

Who is saying play him in a youth team or sell him? Just you.

Most are saying drop him to the bench.

I was crying out for him to just take a touch and pass (or shoot or cross), just speed things up as the more he dallied with it, the more likely he was to trip over his own feet, which then dents his confidence even more.  Just needs to come on after an hour and get a goal, then he will go back on the right track again. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I was crying out for him to just take a touch and pass (or shoot or cross), just speed things up as the more he dallied with it, the more likely he was to trip over his own feet, which then dents his confidence even more.  Just needs to come on after an hour and get a goal, then he will go back on the right track again. 

Yep, he needs dropping.

If he is continually played, at some stage he will assist or score, and then people who are bizarrely ignoring how terrible he has been this season will try and say " told you so " 🤣 ignoring the multiple times per game he has given it away, made made decisions,  fell over, mis controlled it or played a pass in for the opposition to shoot.

Last year 100% quality, so far this season 25% the player he was last season.

• Like 1

Bailey had a pretty dreadful first 44 minutes last night where absolutely nothing went right for him, he was giving the ball away, slipping over or being outmuscled. He did make a great pass right at the end of the 1st half from which Rogers broke through for a one on one with a great touch past the defender, it was just a shame Rogers finish was a little weak and straight at the keeper. I though Unai would take him off at half time, but maybe the pass through to Rogers bought Leon a little more time.

Bailey also had a decent effort that went just wide after half time, but looking at the replays even if it was on target it sould have hit Pau. A good effort all the same. I think he needs to get a goal or an assist or two and he will kick on.

I don't think Philogene has done enough to force Unai into selecting him over Bailey just yet, but Bailey will have to watch out in future.

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

Yep, he needs dropping.

If he is continually played, at some stage he will assist or score, and then people who are bizarrely ignoring how terrible he has been this season will try and say " told you so " 🤣 ignoring the multiple times per game he has given it away, made made decisions,  fell over, mis controlled it or played a pass in for the opposition to shoot.

I think it’s more that as a confidence player, people think that a goal or an assist could turn things around for him.

Also it’s October. We’ve played 8 games in the league. Give him a chance.

Just now, brummybloke said:

Yep, he needs dropping.

Last year he was motivated by Diaby (kinda the same as Digne having serious competition in Maatsen).  He's just not been at it this season, needs dropping and try and buildup confidence from the bench against tired legs.  At least if he comes on as a sub it will limit the amount of times he can give the ball away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've no doubt he'll get back to form sooner or later, he just has to get through this phase, but Philogene is too good to leave out for long and it wouldn't be fair..
There is a sense of fighting with one arm at the moment but we're still beating them up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I think it’s more that as a confidence player, people think that a goal or an assist could turn things around for him.

Also it’s October. We’ve played 8 games in the league. Give him a chance.

I have, he has been consistently poor in every game he's played. He needs taking out for a couple games and coming on for last 20 mins. He is fortunate that Billy Jean is suspended for the next game as he may get yet another ( by now ) undeserved start.

Going from magic back to tragic is not what anyone wants, but for what ever reason, this season he is back to the 2 previous seasons before lasts form.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â