Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So he is playing as well as he did last season, but all the other players in the team are suddenly now so good he's shite in comparison? 🤔

i disagree that he's playing as well as he did last season.

28 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i disagree that he's playing as well as he did last season.

I was being sarcastic mate.

My point is, the notion he's suddenly " not good enough for us " anymore would imply that he is not capable of a level which is good enough for this team.

Which most of us know is obviously untrue seeing as he was one of our top players last season, as well in the League and Europe, and consistently so.

It's the reason he got a new contract.

He is simply in horrific form.

I don't know why some fans are always so quick to want to totally write off a player as soon as they have a bad spell.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

Really really bad. Couldn't believe Emery left him on so long.

Away at Wolves last season was about now. That's where I totally gave up on him.

Then he went on to play like a man possessed for 6/7 months.

Do it again please Leon.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I was being sarcastic mate.

My point is, the notion he's suddenly " not good enough for us " anymore would imply that he is not capable of a level which is good enough for this team.

Which most of us know is obviously untrue seeing as he was one of our top players last season, as well in the League and Europe, and consistently so.

It's the reason he got a new contract.

I don't know why some fans are always so quick to want to totally write off a player as soon as they have a bad spell.

i don't think he's been good enough for us for most of the time that he's been here. if he'd be consistently good from when he signed and is just having a bad spell then i'd be more forgiving but for me, he's been a poor signing who just had a good spell last season. this is not his first 'bad spell'.

46 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i don't think he's been good enough for us for most of the time that he's been here. if he'd be consistently good from when he signed and is just having a bad spell then i'd be more forgiving but for me, he's been a poor signing who just had a good spell last season. this is not his first 'bad spell'.

Well, he'll be replaced eventually if the bad spell continues, and Jamaican sentiment aside it would just be another part of our evolution.

Saudi for 50 mill? đź‘€

Aside from this though, we have evidence he is more than good enough at his peak, so let's just will him to get back there asap, we'll need him and all the others 

It's a long season.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This!

He has been fairlly inconsistent during his time at Villa and his form has swung from brilliant to poor.

He certainly was frustrated and getting mad didn't help.

Knowing how dangerous he can be, Fulham loaded their defence on that side, which is why so much of Villa's attacking came down the left, where Digne prospered all afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

A whole season can hardly be called a good spell.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t doubt he was very good last season. Exceptional at times. 

But if you look at his entire Villa career as a whole, how much of it has he played well? 25%? 30%? He was abysmal for the first 18 months as a Villa player and he isn’t much better than that at the moment.

It’s a bit like Douglas Luiz. Fantastic for probably 6 months of his time here, average for the rest of it. 

Suppose that’s what makes a top player. Being able to do it constantly season after season. 

Luiz only  good for six months, that's another amusing take.

First year for Bailey was a complete write off due to the three separate hamstrings. Little different to Digne coming in and dislocating his shoulder a couple of times. You struggle to get the rhythm going. Look at Welbeck, started the season brilliantly but now might be out for a month or two so he'll probably struggle to recapture that form when he gets back.

These players have mostly been very good under Emery though. The worry for me is Bailey is getting weeks off due to not wanting to represent Jamaica currently yet he still looks as poor as before the international break. I thought end of last season he might have an operation to clear whatever was troubling him in the run in but that didn't happen yet he's still way off 100% fitness. 

His form is a huge concern at the moment, and he shouldn't be starting games the form he's in. He lost possession ten times yesterday, in the 60 minutes he was on the pitch. Some of his first touches went further than I can kick it.

• Like 2

The opposition try to target/double up on him now, so he will give the ball away more often. It also looks like he’s been asked to try and draw opposition players in and beat them on his own to leave them short in other areas of the pitch, as he doesn’t get the support from Konsa/Cash that Digne offers on the left.

Even if the end product and numbers are not there at the moment, he is still creating space for others around him and letting them thrive. If he is giving the ball away and we are losing games, that is the time to question him. 

I think he is afraid of pushing himself again due to a knock.

Personally, I would take him out of the team, get him fully fit & then bring him back.

Would be good to give Philogene a few more minutes.

And at a push, maybe even Nedeljkovic to give us a bit more solidity in front of Cash.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xela said:

Sounds daft but feels like he's missing Diaby, his mate. 

He played his best football when he was here. 

This is probably right. He seems a very emotional person, an losing your bestie, can really effect you.

Although, I am still convinced he's carrying a injury.

He was phenomenal last season, genuinely good enough to get in any team levels of good, I think it went a little underrated just how good he was, he wasn't just the Bailey we thought we were getting, as was sometimes stated, he was on another level to that, if it was known he could have been as good as he was last season we wouldn't have stood a chance of signing him

That wasn't a flash in the pan, it was across an entire season, this season is just eight games old, and Bailey has played about four games worth of football whilst returning from injury

10 hours ago, CVByrne said:

He's going to get a run of games now to get his match fitness. Once he gets going and the confidence again he'll be back to where he was last season.

i dont want to quote Guardiola, but here we go.....

He basically said that teams towards the top of the table cant wait for players to "play themselves in to form", you have to hit the ground running.

I dont deny Bailey was good for 6-7 months last season, but he has also had two years plus of being poor to average, interspersed with the good performances.

He is a good player, but for me he is a good but very inconsistent player who has some magic moments, rather that a consistent top player who has some drops in form.

i dunno, im not trying to cast shade at him, but he is terribly inconsistent if you take in to account his entire time with us.

4 hours ago, useless said:

He was phenomenal last season, genuinely good enough to get in any team levels of good, I think it went a little underrated just how good he was, he wasn't just the Bailey we thought we were getting, as was sometimes stated, he was on another level to that, if it was known he could have been as good as he was last season we wouldn't have stood a chance of signing him

That wasn't a flash in the pan, it was across an entire season, this season is just eight games old, and Bailey has played about four games worth of football whilst returning from injury

"entire season". You're reinventing the history. He wasn't even starting games at the beginning of the season. And by the end of the season he was as knackered and as poor as the rest of the squad. In reality he had about 6 fantastic months last season and not much else since he joined us.

Very injury prone and inconsistent player. If you look objectively, what he does for us now is a norm, what he did over these 6 months is an outlier. Not sure he can help it, difficult to get any sort of rhythm if you're prone to constant small muscle injuries.

No he was brilliant across the entire season, every player has a few off games here and there, and him not starting every game for us doesn't disprove how brilliant he was, we're a top four club, sometimes our very best players won't start games

Thirty five appearances in the league ten goals and nine assists, four goals and five assists in thirteen appearances in Europe, and that's only part of the story, as his performances were consistently good as well as his final product

Smacks of recency bias to dismiss all that as an anomaly, just because he's had a bad start to this season, especially as he's only played about five games worth of football and this whilst returning from an injury

But I'm replying to someone who seems to try and put a negative spin on everything, so not sure why I'm bothering

Ă—
Ă—

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Ă‚