Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

He's coming back from an injury,.not being able to train fully. He needs time and patience, we owe him that, he will get fit , find form and if we give him a chance, get his confidence back.

On his day he can create from nothing and that's a very special quality to have as a player, Duran has it, Rogers as well show glimpses of it.

My prediction......Bailey will score and create some very important goals for us this season.

• Like 2

It’s harsh to criticise him when he’s clearly not fit. He’s definitely struggling for fitness after his injury a few weeks ago. Without his pace, he’s ineffective as he doesn’t have the physical attributes to shake people off and just gets shoved aside too easily. You just need to watch the John McGinn goal against Arsenal last season and the pace he showed in the build up. He’s well off that at the moment and I don’t think it’s from a lack of effort. 

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

‘He’s injured’, ‘He’s carrying a knock’.

Yawn. Played well for Villa for 25% of his time at the club. If we want to get to the next level, he’s a player we need to replace. Brilliant every now and again, but rubbish for the majority. 

we've got a fully fit squad. if either of these were the case, he wouldn't have started. he's fit, injury free, but unfortunately not good enough for us anymore.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

we've got a fully fit squad. if either of these were the case, he wouldn't have started. he's fit, injury free, but unfortunately not good enough for us anymore.

Strange take honestly. He was arguably our best player last season that got us to 4th place in the league and CL football. He is obviously struggling with confidence at the minute and possibly playing through pain.

Players sometimes go through patches of poor form, he hasn't all of a sudden lost his ability to play football. I think he deserves some patience from us fans.

• Like 2

There's something not quite right atm. He was one of our best players last season beyond doubt. He is good enough, but whether it's physical, mental or what, I think we're trying to play him through it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

There's something not quite right atm. He was one of our best players last season beyond doubt. He is good enough, but whether it's physical, mental or what, I think we're trying to play him through it.

Cynic would say he only played well for us when he was negotiating new contract. Don't know if that plays a part in it.

5 hours ago, Leeroy said:

He was absolutely dreadful today. I’m a big fan because when he’s on form he’s absolutely quality but he’s let his standards slip massively this season and it’s very disappointing. I don’t even think it’s fitness/injury, his attitude was rubbish today and that’s unacceptable.

I think Unai might have to bench him for a couple of games to give him the kick up the arse he needs. Trouble is we don’t have a great deal of depth on that right hand side.

Think McGinn at right midfield v Spurs and Liverpool away is a shoe in selection so might aswell put him there for Bournemouth aswell who have good pace on the counter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

So he is playing as well as he did last season, but all the other players in the team are suddenly now so good he's shite in comparison? 🤔

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

Strange take honestly. He was arguably our best player last season that got us to 4th place in the league and CL football. He is obviously struggling with confidence at the minute and possibly playing through pain.

Players sometimes go through patches of poor form, he hasn't all of a sudden lost his ability to play football. I think he deserves some patience from us fans.

i dont see it as an argument, he 100% wasnt.

an important player, who made some important contributions, of course, but our best player?, not in a million years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

‘He’s injured’, ‘He’s carrying a knock’.

Yawn. Played well for Villa for 25% of his time at the club. If we want to get to the next level, he’s a player we need to replace. Brilliant every now and again, but rubbish for the majority. 

Played better than 25% for Emery's time here. However this season does have a feel of 21/22.

This is also a consequence of not really replacing Diaby as last season we could've just stuck him out on the right for 4-5 games. Jaden is also having a stop start season with niggles and now suspended for Bournemouth so ultimately it's a case of parking SJM out on the right for the next month I suspect.

I don’t doubt he was very good last season. Exceptional at times. 

But if you look at his entire Villa career as a whole, how much of it has he played well? 25%? 30%? He was abysmal for the first 18 months as a Villa player and he isn’t much better than that at the moment.

It’s a bit like Douglas Luiz. Fantastic for probably 6 months of his time here, average for the rest of it. 

Suppose that’s what makes a top player. Being able to do it constantly season after season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tomav84 said:

Good for you, for knowing the fitness levels of our players. So fit enough to start but not good enough, yet Emery decided to start him rather than McGinn, Jaden and Buendia

If Emery sees a player - who is clearly a confidence player - he deems good enough to invest time and effort in, then in Emery I trust

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I guess a good question with Bailey is, has he been a good signing?

Thanks to his contributions in our Chamoions League qualifying season, i'd say its been an OK to decent signing

If we sold him today, im sure we xould recoup quite a lot of the money we invested in him

5 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Thanks to his contributions in our Chamoions League qualifying season, i'd say its been an OK to decent signing

If we sold him today, im sure we xould recoup quite a lot of the money we invested in him

Yep, all fair points. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

But if you look at his entire Villa career as a whole, how much of it has he played well? 25%? 30%? He was abysmal for the first 18 months as a Villa player and he isn’t much better than that at the moment.

It’s a bit like Douglas Luiz. Fantastic for probably 6 months of his time here, average for the rest of it. 

Suppose that’s what makes a top player. Being able to do it constantly season after season. 

Up nice and  early I see mate, is counting Emi Buendia’s jumping over gates not getting you to sleep 😄

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

You're saying all these statistics as if they're what's important. It doesn't matter if he was bad at the beginning. When he finds his feet in the league, which he clearly did last season, any adaptation period while he was injured a lot and while we were a worse team under inferior managers/charlatans is pretty irrelevant. 

Can he do it in an Emery team? Yes very clearly. He's having a moment, sure, but for me at least he's earnt a bit of patience. It's kind of sad how people need to be so hard line about one of our better players last season when they've had a few niggles this time around. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â