Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think back to his miss against Wolves when he was crying he felt he let the team and us down with the miss. He picked himself up and boy did he make amends and then some. He's a credit to himself. You got us Champions League with a sensational season Leon we'll always be grateful. 

Just look at the attacking stats. Statically THE BEST bar none winger or attacking midfielder in Europe. 

Let me list them. He's in the top 1% in Goals, xG, Assists, xAG, total Goal contributions, expected goal contributions, progressive carries, successful take ons, progressive passes received,. touches attacking penalty area.

He unfortunately fails the clean sweep as he's only top 3% in shots and top 7% in shot creating actions. He can improve on those next season hopefully. However nobody has higher attacking stats on fbref in football than Leon. Let that sink in. I've searched and can't find anyone. I can find people who are very close like Odegaard and Greenwood. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/3a233281/Leon-Bailey

Best season put in by a wide attacker since Ashley Young. If he manages to maintain this production for a year or even 2 then you have to start thinking of him as the best winger in the PL era for us. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

A lot of players seem to be doing work before pre-season. Leon, JJ, Digne, Kosta to name a few. Maybe it’s always been the case, but shows how committed they all are to improving and being in great condition. 

Champions' League must concentrate the mind more than a little. 

Big season coming up. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

A lot of players seem to be doing work before pre-season. Leon, JJ, Digne, Kosta to name a few. Maybe it’s always been the case, but shows how committed they all are to improving and being in great condition. 

I hope they’ve also had time to have a good rest (in mind and body) before a long gruelling season starts. 

53 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

They also know that competetion will be fiercer in the coming season and places will be under threat.

Alot of them will be excited and want to be in the best shape possible for a potential CL campaign as well.

JJ in particular I know his proper breakthrough came when he was putting in extra work with AJ that summer as well

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Champions' League must concentrate the mind more than a little. 

Big season coming up. 

In fairness, I actually think outside fitness work for them, is tame in comparison to the rigors of proper 90 minute games and in season training.

I reckon the work they put in off season with just be to maintain and make sure they are ready for pre season etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

He was a different  player in 23-24 to what we had seen in 21-22 and 22-23. Not sure I can ecall a player improving to such an extent so suddenly.  Maybe Delph second half of 12-13, but Leon genuinely went up so many levels last season. He was unbelievable. 

McGinn’s improvement from SG to Unai was remarkable…

could say similar for Dougie who was our best player in 2023…

Mind you, they were held back by a Scouse clown…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Â