Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

What with all the impending news of having to sell Dougie, when I saw this thread my first thought was......

"bl**dy hell have we got to sell Bailey as well..."

7 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Of all the Villa players I wanted to take the summer off, it's this guy and Pau.

Thus, happy days.

Yeah. He needs to rest that knee. 

Seems very similar to the Keane situation we had here in Ireland. The Jamaican football federation seems to be a shambles, team not even having security with them. In truth he is making a stand for the benefit of the players that will come after him, trying to raise standards but of course he will probably get abused right now

On 15/03/2024 at 19:05, HKP90 said:

They are both right wingers?

We only had one winger....during our halcyon days, of winning the league and the Euro Cup.

depends on how Unai, wants to set up, this forthcoming season.

Edited by TRO

• 2 weeks later...

Poor guy is getting so many bad vibes thrown his way. Seems pretty unfair, to me. Bailey has legit concerns about safety if he has to train or do pressers in Jamaica (absolute highest homicide rate on the planet, for one), and he's already made it clear how disorganised the situation has been with JFF. I can understand why ordinary Reggae Boyz fans would be gutted not to have Bailey, totally get that, but I have a lot of sympathy for Leon, too, sorry. Calling him a spoiled brat is just denialism.     

He rejects the call up, says he won't play for them, and says they're an unprofessional circus, they respond by suspending him from representing them. Do these idiots not realise they've just proven his **** point? :D 

Enjoy the rest, Leon.

https://nationwideradiojm.com/jff-slaps-temporary-suspension-on-leon-bailey/

The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), has made the decision to temporarily suspend the selection of Leon Bailey to the senior Men’s National Team. This decision has been made in light of recent circumstances surrounding his comments and non-participation in the Copa America 2024 team, despite being selected.

Consideration was also given to his stated desire to take a break from national duties, and suspending his selection will guard against any further miscommunication.

The JFF values the contributions of all players and respects their individual decisions regarding national team participation.

We have also referred this matter to Mr. David Watt, the newly appointed Chairman of the Disciplinary and Ethics Committee.

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think back to his miss against Wolves when he was crying he felt he let the team and us down with the miss. He picked himself up and boy did he make amends and then some. He's a credit to himself. You got us Champions League with a sensational season Leon we'll always be grateful. 

Just look at the attacking stats. Statically THE BEST bar none winger or attacking midfielder in Europe. 

Let me list them. He's in the top 1% in Goals, xG, Assists, xAG, total Goal contributions, expected goal contributions, progressive carries, successful take ons, progressive passes received,. touches attacking penalty area.

He unfortunately fails the clean sweep as he's only top 3% in shots and top 7% in shot creating actions. He can improve on those next season hopefully. However nobody has higher attacking stats on fbref in football than Leon. Let that sink in. I've searched and can't find anyone. I can find people who are very close like Odegaard and Greenwood. 

https://fbref.com/en/players/3a233281/Leon-Bailey

He’s been incredible (thanks Unai) but aswell as his quality and form… I love the attitude and personality he’s shown. He’s really matured and even becoming a leader or wise head… so dedicated and invested. I think he really likes Unai and is willing to give his all for him… he loves the club too 😊

I’m delighted that he’s overcome his struggles and is blooming now.. what a story. He always said he was going to prove people wrong and he’s done it in emphatic style.

I won’t lie, I’m glad he’s not playing international games and is getting a well earned break and rest (needed it). Still performed admirably while carrying a knock… he’s really setting an example for the other players. Bailey at 100% is frightening for any opposition.

Same goes for Ollie really (Unai regularly praise him and states how he sets the standard for other players, dedication and work ethic, commitment) and I’m delighted that both of them have signed new deals and committed to the club, makes them even more likeable.

Leon is our most dangerous weapon really, I think even more than Ollie (that’s an interesting debate!)… the two of them have been awesome and we will, thankfully, get to see a lot more of them… tear up the CL boys! They’re up to it.

If other players can step up to their level… wow… we will be in amazing shape.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s been incredible (thanks Unai) but aswell as his quality and form… I love the attitude and personality he’s shown. He’s really matured and even becoming a leader or wise head… so dedicated and invested. I think he really likes Unai and is willing to give his all for him… he loves the club too 😊

I’m delighted that he’s overcome his struggles and is blooming now.. what a story. He always said he was going to prove people wrong and he’s done it in emphatic style.

I won’t lie, I’m glad he’s not playing international games and is getting a well earned break and rest (needed it). Still performed admirably while carrying a knock… he’s really setting an example for the other players. Bailey at 100% is frightening for any opposition.

Same goes for Ollie really (Unai regularly praise him and states how he sets the standard for other players, dedication and work ethic, commitment) and I’m delighted that both of them have signed new deals and committed to the club, makes them even more likeable.

Leon is our most dangerous weapon really, I think even more than Ollie (that’s an interesting debate!)… the two of them have been awesome and we will, thankfully, get to see a lot more of them… tear up the CL boys! They’re up to it.

If other players can step up to their level… wow… we will be in amazing shape.

Exactly.

Watkins, Leon, McGinn, Konsa, Pau, Maatsen, Martinez - players who would slot in at Arsenal or Liverpool and not be out of place at all. We need to keep raising that level by a longer term plan and stability at all levels of the club. 

I think it's on Heck now to get our finances to catch up. United are keeping a Tier 2 Coach. Spurs seem to have an idealist which is a weakness. Chelsea could go either way. Newcastle have less squad depth than we do and have no assets to make a big profit on bar one of their two best players (even then it's only a chunk of profit they get). Liverpool have a transition to make and it's always tough after a generational coach like Klopp.

Emery starts getting Diaby, Tielemans, JJ, Rogers and our new RB up to l the level Leon and Watkins and Konsa are at then we are in business. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly.

Watkins, Leon, McGinn, Konsa, Pau, Maatsen, Martinez - players who would slot in at Arsenal or Liverpool and not be out of place at all. We need to keep raising that level by a longer term plan and stability at all levels of the club. 

I think it's on Heck now to get our finances to catch up. United are keeping a Tier 2 Coach. Spurs seem to have an idealist which is a weakness. Chelsea could go either way. Newcastle have less squad depth than we do and have no assets to make a big profit on bar one of their two best players (even then it's only a chunk of profit they get). Liverpool have a transition to make and it's always tough after a generational coach like Klopp.

Emery starts getting Diaby, Tielemans, JJ, Rogers and our new RB up to l the level Leon and Watkins and Konsa are at then we are in business. 

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Bailey put on double intensity work on weak foot lol.

These posts always amuse, like Bailey isn't everyday since he was 16 working on his left foot. "I'm a 26 year old CL player, I'm going to improve my weak foot now!"

He was a different  player in 23-24 to what we had seen in 21-22 and 22-23. Not sure I can ecall a player improving to such an extent so suddenly.  Maybe Delph second half of 12-13, but Leon genuinely went up so many levels last season. He was unbelievable. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â