Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

17 hours ago, Philosopher said:

I think it had as much to do with Luiz going off for Buendia. As soon as Buendia came on they scored a their second. The DM or one of the two central midfielders infront of the DM is supposed to help defend in those counter attack situations. Not really fair to blame Bailey in that situation as he had been fouled at the start of the counter!

Bailey is looking sharper now. He was definitely better then Buendia. Pushing for a place soon i think.

He is nowhere near as good as Buendia.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Looked good when he came on, would love to see him start against Arsenal 

He was much better yesterday, but the only place he will get a start, I think, will be up front in lieu of Watkins or Ings.

But he has nothing like the energy of either of them, and is defensively poor. He would basically be best as an old-fashioned centre forward.

37 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

If you do that then you have 2 players in Ings and Bailey who can't complete 90 minutes. Hindsight and all but voting against 5 subs was probably not in our best interest this season. 

Why cabt ings last 90 minutes? My understanding its not to do with his fitness just that he opts to keep ollie instead.

28 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

He was much better yesterday, but the only place he will get a start, I think, will be up front in lieu of Watkins or Ings.

But he has nothing like the energy of either of them, and is defensively poor. He would basically be best as an old-fashioned centre forward.

I think it's far too early to judge Bailey tbh. Probably needs a summer and then a bit of luck with injuries/suspensions to get a run in the first XI before we'll ever really know what he's capable of in the Premier League.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I think it's far too early to judge Bailey tbh. Probably needs a summer and then a bit of luck with injuries/suspensions to get a run in the first XI before we'll ever really know what he's capable of in the Premier League.

I reckon he needs to pack on some muscle.

It might slightly affect his top pace, but it will have him better equipped for the rigors of this League and the competitors.

As he still has the skill. He wouldn't need to go full Adama either.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why cabt ings last 90 minutes? My understanding its not to do with his fitness just that he opts to keep ollie instead.

Per football reference he has started 18 and played the full 90 six times.  I just assumed fitness since Danny does a lot of running off the ball. You may be right as well so I'm not sure. 

Either way I really hope we implement the 5 subs rule next season. Kinda pointless to have all this quality on the bench otherwise. 

51 minutes ago, MCU said:

I know he was number 9 for Leverkusen but did he ever play down the middle? I'm slightly worried he's going to fall out of favour here and that's nothing against him. We're spoilt for choice in the attacking area now and I feel the pressure will really be on him to impress when he gets the odd 20 minutes here and there. I think he's a quality player and we really need to try and adjust squeezing him in somewhere otherwise he'll be off. I know he's been injured lately but looked quite sharp when he came on yesterday.

From what I saw there he was generally wide right and would hit double figures with a few assists thrown in for likes of Patrick Schick.

A terrific player for a counter attack system.....when 100% fit.

Have Jamaica called him up even though they can't make the WC? Watch him get injured and miss the rest of the season.

His potential is frightening, I can’t see anyone apart from Coutinho can offer much better. Buendia to compete though. He just needs to fix some decision making (such as his shot rather than send it to Young), although his shots are perfect as well.

I’d like to see him roaming upfront as a second striker, I think he’d be very effective. 
Has to start against Arsenal as we’ll be counter attacking them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It might slightly affect his top pace, but it will have him better equipped for the rigors of this League and the competitors.

He’s kinda skinny for a sprinter, if he did it right he’s keep or gain pace

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Jamie Vardy, is a whippet of a man....but he uses his best attributes, to scare the bee jaysus out of most defenders.

You can be a fast sprinter to do that.....but you have to have the sharp brain and first touch to capitalise, too...he has all that.

Gabby had the pace to die for.....just didn't have the brain of Vardy.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

He is nowhere near as good as Buendia.

In the match yesterday he did he was better than Buendia (for me). As for who is the better player that has yet to be seen. Buendia is quality, but Bailey hasn't really had a chance to show his. Buendia took half a season to get up to speed and he still isn't on Coutinho's level.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Was it at least partly his fault we conceded the first goal yesterday?

West Ham created an overlap down his flank which gave them the space to pick out the cross, had Ings still been on we may not have conceded it.

No way. Too harsh to put any blame on him for that goal.

9 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

No way. Too harsh to put any blame on him for that goal.

He gave the ball away for the second one too thinking about it. 

I’m not sure we concede the first one had we not made that change, all ifs and buts though.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

In the match yesterday he did he was better than Buendia (for me). As for who is the better player that has yet to be seen. Buendia is quality, but Bailey hasn't really had a chance to show his. Buendia took half a season to get up to speed and he still isn't on Coutinho's level.

Buendia had an assist, Bailey was responsible for a West Ham goal, so no.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

He needs to show he belongs at this level.

That is the challenge for him.

A bit like Sanson though, that both need minutes to show they belong at this level.

• Like 1

Â