Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

We should be playing 4-2-3-1 with Bailey starting on the left of the three

Why? I don't understand the obsession to accommodate a player that's looked poor bar small cameo vs weakened Everton team

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Why? I don't understand the obsession to accommodate a player that's looked poor bar small cameo vs weakened Everton team

He is an excellent player and we have very good wide forwards. It accommodates giving coutinho no defensive responsibilities, let’s the full backs get forward with protection.

10 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

We’ve often looked weak with a midfield two. Usually need one more player to do defensive work.

Depends if they are told to solely defend/progress the ball and that's it. I believe it is the best system to get the best out of the players we have and the best system if we buy a DCM or two in the summer.

On 08/03/2022 at 04:29, Demitri_C said:

Poor?? Bit harsh

Agreed...how many people thought Buendia was poor...until he settled and was the best player in the team.

Bailey looked good early in the season...who can forget the pass for McGinn's goal against Watford, or the corner and goal against Everton. (Don't tell me Everton was depleted...the corner went in off our now-very-own Digne.) He obviously has quality.

He's spent a good portion of the season injured. Give him some time before you write him off. Maybe it doesn't work out, but he isn't poor.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TomC said:

Agreed...how many people thought Buendia was poor...until he settled and was the best player in the team.

Bailey looked good early in the season...who can forget the pass for McGinn's goal against Watford, or the corner and goal against Everton. (Don't tell me Everton was depleted...the corner went in off our now-very-own Digne.) He obviously has quality.

He's spent a good portion of the season injured. Give him some time before you write him off. Maybe it doesn't work out, but he isn't poor.

Yeah i agree. He hasnt started a game in months either.  He is rusty without question. When he gets a extended run in the team he will do well.

We seen really stocked now which is great. We have him traore and buendia as options on the bench.

Really impressive.  Not many teams have such attacking options like we have

• Like 1

Bailey is actually one of the players who's presence in the team correlates with the team playing well. His stats in the Bundesliga prior to him coming in were also really good.

But at the end of the day, I think he's played rather poorly in all his past sub appearances since coming back from his latest injury. He's just looked well off the pace at worse and ineffective at best so its hard to justify giving him a starting position in the team anytime soon.

I want to see him adapt to be one of the forwards if he can. He can't play a sole 10, that's for Coutinho and Buendia. 

I just hope Gerrard gets to this fluid front 3 who can play as a 2 1 or a 1 2. Bailey might play well beside Coutinho as a forward who makes runs in behind a Watkins who can drift wide. 

I still feel we have the wrong group of attacking players for the system. Excluding the youth, we have 2 forwards (Ings/Watkins) and two 10s (Coutinho/Buendia) and 4 wide players (Bailey/Traore/AEG/Trez). 

I'd keep Bailey this summer and see how the first half of the season goes. Potentially sending him on loan for the 2nd half of season if things aren't working out.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I want to see him adapt to be one of the forwards if he can. He can't play a sole 10, that's for Coutinho and Buendia. 

I just hope Gerrard gets to this fluid front 3 who can play as a 2 1 or a 1 2. Bailey might play well beside Coutinho as a forward who makes runs in behind a Watkins who can drift wide. 

I still feel we have the wrong group of attacking players for the system. Excluding the youth, we have 2 forwards (Ings/Watkins) and two 10s (Coutinho/Buendia) and 4 wide players (Bailey/Traore/AEG/Trez). 

I'd keep Bailey this summer and see how the first half of the season goes. Potentially sending him on loan for the 2nd half of season if things aren't working out.

He is coming in, cold.....what I mean by that is, he needs to find a little partnership with someone, someone to play off and settle in to the team....it will come.

He needs to know the movement of the other lads to get the little one, two's going.......just as he's about to lose the ball, he needs to play it and not dwell on it...to keep confidence rolling.

.........The quickest way to lose confidence, is giving the ball away cheaply.

I think, when he comes on, he likes to stay on the ball, to prove himself....that could be, his mistake, he needs to move the ball quicker to get in to the game.....and that's the way he will settle and gain confidence.......The explosive runs can come, when he has his mojo back and he is back in the groove.

Edited by TRO

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Looked sharp. I'd really be looking to get him starting matches 

Think it makes sense v Arsenal as Saka will likely rip Young to shreds if Digne is out.

Cash was also badly exposed at Emirates so makes sense to tweak formation and have wide player with decent pace to get back and help out.

Little rusty at times, understandably, wasn't quite acclimated to the game when west ham got their first, as he was high up the pitch and allowed the double up on Cash. 

Showed his class a few times though, would love to see him get a run of games with Coutinho.

On 10/03/2022 at 11:50, AntrimBlack said:

Bailey is going to find it difficult to get into the team.

So many players pushing for places now. It is a great problem to have.

Thing is, it doesn't seem like a problem at all at the moment, as the first XI are always the same unless injured or suspended.

Â