Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Who's going to buy him? Even Leverkusen aren't crazy enough to take him back. One year loan deal to Turkey was probably our only option to be rid of him. 

Wish we knew what kind of efforts were being made with him in terms of coaching. I just don't understand the problem is, you know. It doesn't make sense. I kind of foresee us holding onto him, and when he gets the chance to sub again, he'll score a goal and confuse us all.

The thing with Leon is that you can't say he's been hard done by any of the three managers he's had at Villa. They've all given him the opportunity to hit his stride, but he's just not been able to. A change of scenery might benefit him. I could see him doing well in Serie A.

On 13/08/2023 at 18:16, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Some clubs/leagues and players just don't work out.

I think this is one of those cases.

Wouldn't surprise me if he went to another League and did well.

I think his confidence, morale and maybe even motivation is shot.

On the motivation front I don't think it's necessarily because he's " lazy ". Just think he's frustrated about how it's gone for him as well plus the Injuries etc 

I'm sure both you and I would equally love some sort of magical redemption, but I've stopped holding my breath.

Villa fan first, unless he's playing for Jamaica of course. Lol

I like Leon but can’t shake the feeling that he’s also just not physically up for the prem. Can’t win any shoulder challenges and opponents either put a hand on him to slow him down or just roll him over. 

He will be fine in a less physical league ala Carles Gil but I think his time is done here unless up against specific weak opponents. 

It’s funny because he has a decent Jamaica record where CONCACAF is nothing but physical brutality but that’s a different sort of game than then prem. 

• Like 1

Ever since the injury against Everton he’s been a shadow of the player who ripped it up for Leverkusen.

The premier league is also the most physically demanding league anywhere and I think he’s a little bit too slow to adjust and adapt to it. 

A shame because I was genuinely excited about him being a Villan. 

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Ever since the injury against Everton he’s been a shadow of the player who ripped it up for Leverkusen.

The premier league is also the most physically demanding league anywhere and I think he’s a little bit too slow to adjust and adapt to it. 

A shame because I was genuinely excited about him being a Villan. 

Agreed. You look at the old reels and just gotta scratch your head. Reminds me a little of what happened with Marcus Rashford in 2020-21. He got injured, came back, and his scoring rate plunged. But a year later, he was back to scoring. Basically same age as Bailey, too. Where is Leon?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Agreed. You look at the old reels and just gotta scratch your head. Reminds me a little of what happened with Marcus Rashford in 2020-21. He got injured, came back, and his scoring rate plunged. But a year later, he was back to scoring. Basically same age as Bailey, too. Where is Leon?

This is not the bailey we current have 

I never see him beat players like this

Come on leon bring back this beast!

• Like 1

I just don't think he trusts his body that's the issue.  It's as if he really sprinted he is scared something will pop.

You would hope Diaby inspires him. Not a great first game but I think he might surprise a few the weekend.  Maybe off the bench though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Now that I’ve seen him for us, this actually still looks a lot like Bailey here. If you don’t touch him, he can do a lot of his tricks but in the prem, defenders are faster and stronger and won’t let him get away with that. 

Probably does the bits in training, like Coutinho, where you just can’t (and don’t want to) replicate the physicality, but in game, it doesn’t translate. 

• Like 2

Why don't we just get behind him, he will offer us something this season and will move on next summer. He is a good but inconsistent player. He cost us 25m and it's unlikely we have paid much of the 5m add ons

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Wouldn't hurt to bulk up a bit too I'd imagine. 

Been saying this.

This is something he should take up on himself though, or even the club should have encouraged.

Then again we don't know the ins and outs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Why don't we just get behind him, he will offer us something this season and will move on next summer. He is a good but inconsistent player 

...... no, I really don't agree. Define "good" !!!

Decent impact sub but has never been a 90 minute player ...... never, not once, ever !

Edited by Paul33
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Spoony said:

I can’t believe he’s still here let alone starting. I’m rarely desperate for a player to be sold but he just can’t be gone soon enough. 

The fact he does start, is a blemish/stain on all what we are trying to do.

As soon as I saw his name on the team sheet on Saturday, I baulked......now I accept, one player doesn't necessarily create a performance directly.....but indirectly it can have an adverse effect on the rest of the team.

Players themselves know, who is putting it in, and who isn't, even if they stay stumm, in post match interviews....but when players invite clumsy challenges, and go to ground with the regularity he does, it has to affect the team.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Why don't we just get behind him, he will offer us something this season and will move on next summer. He is a good but inconsistent player. He cost us 25m and it's unlikely we have paid much of the 5m add ons

We have no alternative, but to get behind him, if selected....(in the ground we do).....but a blind man would see his shortfalls.....and the likely hood of it changing is slim.

We simply cannot go with a player who goes to ground with every innocuous tackle he receives, or invites clumsy challenges, by not moving away with the ball.....He is clearly a liability.

If we have any notion of progressing, we have to remove players, who are dragging the rest down....as distasteful as that is, its the law of the jungle...ignore that, and we are toast.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

We have no alternative, but to get behind him....in the ground we do.....but a blind man would see his shortfalls.....and the likely hood of it changing is slim.

We simply cannot go with a player who goes to ground with every innocuous tackle he receives, or invites clumsy challenges, by not moving away with the ball.....He is clearly a liability.

If we have any notion of progressing, we have to remove players, who are dragging the rest down....as distasteful as that is, its the law of the jungle...ignore that, and we are toast.

Zaniolo and Ramsey will hopefully mean less Bailey needed this season. He can play his part and he had some good games last season so could do well. It's his last season here anyway and he'll be moved on next summer with 1 year left on his deal. So I'm not going to get worked up about him. It is what it is. He's squad depth

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Now that I’ve seen him for us, this actually still looks a lot like Bailey here. If you don’t touch him, he can do a lot of his tricks but in the prem, defenders are faster and stronger and won’t let him get away with that. 

Probably does the bits in training, like Coutinho, where you just can’t (and don’t want to) replicate the physicality, but in game, it doesn’t translate. 

Personally, I think we have been a bit of a sucker for that for too long.....you have said it all, the Prem, won't let you get away with it.....its all well and good having the tricks and flicks, (which he rarely shows by the way) but there is also a pragmatic requirement in this league too.

He is a luxury player, with out the luxury, if you get my drift.

I think we should have seen enough, to have made a firm opinion, of what we have here.

The Bailey experiment has failed i am afraid.

We need someone for his position who has the pace and football guile to be a success much the opposite of Leon.

Please Bailey fans don't start with the “get behind him” or  “he was great at leverkusen” comments.

He has had enough time and support to show what he can do and unfortunately he just can't cut it in the premier league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Personally, I think we have been a bit of a sucker for that for too long.....you have said it all, the Prem, won't let you get away with it.....its all well and good having the tricks and flicks, (which he rarely shows by the way) but there is also a pragmatic requirement in this league too.

He is a luxury player, with out the luxury, if you get my drift.

I think we should have seen enough, to have made a firm opinion, of what we have here.

It’s part of why we miss JJ and Buendia so much. JJ known for brushing off tackles during his runs. Buendia, while not always pulling it off, was never afraid to barge shoulders and said his second sport would be rugby. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â