Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Fair enough but I think something just feels wrong about this whole arrangement and has done since day one. I just don’t get the feeling this is where he wants to be and it seems like the move was done for the wrong reasons (building his English profile? His family pushing him this way for one reason or another? It never felt like he was in control of this move). Pure speculation but I just don’t feel like it’s ever going to click. Kind of get a similar feeling with Ings that the fit just somehow isn’t right. 

Well the issue is our manager doesn't want to play wide players and its disturbing. Aside Bailey who is a top winger we had Traore I think 8 goals, 8 assists last season, El Ghazi 10 goals last season and Trezeguet who is capable of a few back post goals and one of our best youth talents in Philogene Bidace

Yet our manager has no idea about using width. When put on wide players vs Arsenal they looked confused

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Guy came in late made some decent cameos, got injured made some decent cameos, got injured again and now is struggling to make a proper impactful come back 

Of course some fans have written him off... 

Put this year in the bin and wait for next year, he'll be the same as sanson, he'll deserve a chance but who knows if he'll get it

I know players can’t choose when they get injured so this is probably a stupid comment- but he has to do everything he can to make sure he’s fit for pre-season. For players on the fringes that period where the manager takes stock and starts afresh is absolutely crucial. I wager that if Sanson had been fit this pre-season it would have radically changed his prospects of being a first team player 

13 hours ago, paul514 said:

Leon Bailey has played in 3 games where he has played more than 45 minutes...... I'd bet Haaland has played more than that against English teams.

His minutes totalled up doesn't even equate to 6 full games which BTW he has 3 goal contributions in....

So do you think hes a better player than Harvey Barnes?  I don't know myself. ive seen Barnes rip us apart. He might well be better but as yet I haven't seen it. 

Didn't Gerrard start him early on? He was certainly playing at Palace and then think he got injured after 20 minutes v Man. City so not like it's impossible for him to get games in this formation.

I think to fully get him going we need to go back to 4-2-3-1 though and not convinced Gerrard will do that anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think with two really good holding players in midfield in a 4-2-3-1, Bailey-Coutinho-Buendia as the three would be absolutely devastating.

It's actually similar to what Arsenal do. Bailey would be the direct Saka type hopefully on the right, Buendia drift infield like Smith Rowe and Coutinho the Odegaard who keeps play ticking over and pops up on edge of the box with goals.

Big problem with all that however is we don't have a Partey type who can sit infront of the back 4 and do the basic stuff well.

52 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's actually similar to what Arsenal do. Bailey would be the direct Saka type hopefully on the right, Buendia drift infield like Smith Rowe and Coutinho the Odegaard who keeps play ticking over and pops up on edge of the box with goals.

Big problem with all that however is we don't have a Partey type who can sit infront of the back 4 and do the basic stuff well.

It's something i'd like to see us try with the remaining games, perhaps when Nakamba returns, but I don't see SG changing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Gerrard start him early on? He was certainly playing at Palace and then think he got injured after 20 minutes v Man. City so not like it's impossible for him to get games in this formation.

I think to fully get him going we need to go back to 4-2-3-1 though and not convinced Gerrard will do that anytime soon.

Gerrard started both him and Traore then they got injured, Bailey featured a fair bit when Gerrard first came through the door,  it’s not unusual for someone coming back from a serious injury to be gradually nursed back to fitness with mins off the bench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Not even Partey has been doing things well until one or two months ago. He’s been hopeless for the most part of his time at Arsenal (even admitting it himself, rating his time at the club as 4 out of 10).

It’s no surprise they’re playing well now Partey has improved, but weird how they managed even relatively well before that.

4 hours ago, duke313 said:

I think with two really good holding players in midfield in a 4-2-3-1, Bailey-Coutinho-Buendia as the three would be absolutely devastating.

Sign Phillips and Bissouma and that becomes a possibility.

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Who as the '1' ? 

I’m not totally averse to keeping Watkins and Ings as strikers for next season, with them competing to be the ‘1’. Ideally, I’d like an upgrade but we absolutely have to spend big money on two new midfielders. 

Our midfield is bottom half quality, without a doubt. I actually think we have a solid defence and enough in attack to challenge the top 7/8 as long as we get the midfield right, which we don’t at present.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m not totally averse to keeping Watkins and Ings as strikers for next season, with them competing to be the ‘1’. Ideally, I’d like an upgrade but we absolutely have to spend big money on two new midfielders. 

Our midfield is bottom half quality, without a doubt. I actually think we have a solid defence and enough in attack to challenge the top 7/8 as long as we get the midfield right, which we don’t at present.

I was just wondering how the lad Archer might turn out in the lineup

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duke313 said:

I think you could be right

Would also need a striker to knit it all together - not convinced either of our strikers are right. 

8 hours ago, duke313 said:

Probably need a different manager though, unless Gerrard opens up to the 4-2-3-1 like Smith did last season.

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Haaland. 

Chain him to the holte hotel in between matches. 

The attachment device of choice these days is the zip tie. You need to get down with the trumpets or we’ll never keep modern, progressive players at the club. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â