Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

Just now, A'Villan said:

His first touch against Newcastle after coming on that earned us a free kick on the right flank not far from the byline.

And, if you haven't seen it:

one touch and a youtube video from before he joined us isn't particularly relevant imo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

one touch and a youtube video from before he joined us isn't particularly relevant imo

Fair enough. It was a few touches before he was fouled. 

I think he'll go on to be of the calibre of Adama Traore or Saint Maximum.

Maybe better.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I've been very forward with my views on our Summer window. It was a complete mess. Bailey and Ings were brought in without any plan or idea to use them. It may have been a data decision, I don't know.

We signed Buendia to play alongside Grealish behind Watkins. Fine. But then Grealish left and we signed Ings and Bailey. Why? Why did we sign another striker on huge money and another right sided attacker when we'd signed Buendia to play there? And then, to top it all off, we moved to a 3-5-2 which exclusively doesn't use wingers, nor a number 10 (Buendia).

It was a mess and it was ill thought out. Purslow himself admitted it was a mess, he just didn't realise he had when he said they'd replaced Grealish's output with the players they'd signed. That's a bonkers way of working. You can't just tally up his goals and assists and bring in players who play different positions with similar numbers in a hope to recreate that. 

At least in January, we signed Coutinho to finally replace the gaping hole left by Grealish. 

Anyway, back on topic. Bailey is collateral damage in the change of system and manager. I actually think he's got a lot of potential, but i'll be god damned if I know how he's going to fit into this system and show it. 

He's been unlucky with injury, hasn't really got a run of games.  I think we'll see him as one of the narrow 10s, SG had Ryan Kent playing a similar role at rangers and he's traditionally a winger, so perhaps he will try Bailey in that role.  

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

He's been unlucky with injury, hasn't really got a run of games.  I think we'll see him as one of the narrow 10s, SG had Ryan Kent playing a similar role at rangers and he's traditionally a winger, so perhaps he will try Bailey in that role.  

I hope we see a lot of him too, but he's vying for that place with Coutinho and Buendia, so it's a tall order for sure. 

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Nine goals and ten assists last season in 30 games in the Bundesliga, 15 goals and 12 assists in all competitions, 28 goals and 22 assists in 120 appearances total in the Bundesliga, 10 goals and 5 assists in 27 appearances in the Europa League. He's one of the most proven players at the top level that we have, and sooner we can get him fit and in the team the better, he has the kind of stats the likes St Maximin and Adama can only dream of.

Spot on. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Nine goals and ten assists last season in 30 games in the Bundesliga, 15 goals and 12 assists in all competitions, 28 goals and 22 assists in 120 appearances total in the Bundesliga, 10 goals and 5 assists in 27 appearances in the Europa League. He's one of the most proven players at the top level that we have, and sooner we can get him fit and in the team the better, he has the kind of stats the likes St Maximin and Adama can only dream of.

Nobody is doubting those stats, but where does he fit in?

5 minutes ago, useless said:

He has one less assist than Saint-Maximin and he started 4 games, ASM started 22

He probably has the same as Traore has in his last 2 Premier League seasons 

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Nobody is doubting those stats, but where does he fit in?

That is what I am worried about. We seemed so strategic in summer 2019 with the players we brought in to fit a system.2020 was a bit of a dogs breakfast in all honesty.  And now we have changed the manager who has different ideas than Deano.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

That is what I am worried about. We seemed so strategic in summer 2019 with the players we brought in to fit a system.2020 was a bit of a dogs breakfast in all honesty.  And now we have changed the manager who has different ideas than Deano.

Yep. We bought one of the most highly sought after wingers in Europe and now we don't play with wingers.

I really want Bailey to get a run, but I just don't know how we're going to go about doing that. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. We bought one of the most highly sought after wingers in Europe and now we don't play with wingers.

I really want Bailey to get a run, but I just don't know how we're going to go about doing that. 

The Gerrard rumours had been about since the end of 2020 as well. So if we were very interested then why would we sign a big money winger when we were going to bin Smith eventually 

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yep, no strategic thinking in terms of which top class manager fits these players. Just a punt on a manager who'd done well in a two team league against Neil Lennon. His tactics are very rigid and easy to work out weakness of (the flanks); and now he has a bunch of better managers around him with the personnel to make an impact. I think he's getting found out in all honesty, I hope I'm profoundly wrong. 

Bailey is a fantastic player who if he doesn't fit the system, we need to consider the system and play different systems in different games. 

Edited by Dale

Ryan Kent played every game for Rangers when available, he's much closer in style to Bailey than he is to either Buendia or Coutinho, so no reason why Bailey can't be used in the same way. At Rangers Gerrard also often used to play Roofe as a wide forward, Bailey can be used like that as well, this idea that he always plays with two No.10s is a bit of a myth.

37 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Fair enough. It was a few touches before he was fouled. 

I think he'll go on to be of the calibre of Adama Traore or Saint Maximum.

Maybe better.

Which would be great, and he has lots of potential and I hope he realises it with us

But he's shown very very little in a Villa shirt thus far

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Which would be great, and he has lots of potential and I hope he realises it with us

He's played very little in a Villa shirt in fairness to him. 

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think that's a tad harsh purely because he's played the equivalent of less than 5 games for us.

I feel gutted for the lad because he's an absolute baller but his settled has been completely derailed by injury.

53 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think that's a tad harsh purely because he's played the equivalent of less than 5 games for us.

I feel gutted for the lad because he's an absolute baller but his settled has been completely derailed by injury.

I don't know why it's harsh. I'm not writing him off or questioning his ability. I'm just stating we've seen very little from him

Â