Villa's Woman's team and their topics

CarryOnVilla

Question

A question has arose to where do topics for Villa Ladies and their players belong?

Some users would like it all to have it's own sub-forum, So it's not "cluttering the the main Villa Talk sub-forum". Some other users suggesting it's better place for the topics to have their own sub-forum, as they wont get lost in the shuffle of a busier sub-forum. Others state these topics as "annoying".

Me and some others feel the Ladies team topics should remain in the main Villa Talk sub-forum. I'm suggesting it should stay there because that sub-form is used for all things Aston Villa, from all the male teams, players, the executives, the owners, the clubs vision and other things regarding the club, The Villa ladies and their players should have equal place within this sub-forum, because they are equally part of the club. Another user stated, "despite having little interest in Woman's football or Villa Ladies, being exposed to the ladies team's topics on the main sub-forum has made them more interested than they had before." I feel this passive exposure will help other users to gain more appreciation to the female side of the game, in particular, Villa's brand of it. One club, one support.

Some compromises were suggested, One that is limited posts regarding the ladies team. Another was to have a [W] at the beginning of the topic header so other users know what topic is regarding.  

How do other users feel? also what do the moderators and site owners feel? 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
typo
  • Like 2

I think people don’t like going much further than page one in On Topic. If someone wants to write or read about Matty Cash, it’s seen as a pain to have to find it on page two or three. 

That’s how I perceive the supposed problem. I don’t have an issue with the current set up in case it wasn’t clear from my stance in On Topic.

People who are unhappy about threads they don’t like being near the top of page one of On Topic seem to be unaware that complaining IN those threads they don’t like means they bring them to the front.

Utterly self defeating.

If there is little to no interest in the women’s team, which seems to be the suggestion, the women’s threads will drop down the pages and be out of the way. If that’s what they want, they can help that happen by not posting in them.

Just now, limpid said:

Topics about Villa Women are tagged "Villa Women". If people don't want to read them, don't read them.

I don't understand the issue.

Screenshot 2021-07-01 15.30.19.png

that was a thing that also came up. The user who brought it up, didn't notice the tag... Maybe the tag could have a unique colour to stand out more?

13 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

that was a thing that also came up. The user who brought it up, didn't notice the tag... Maybe the tag could have a unique colour to stand out more?

It's currently the maximum contrast possible (white on black). Any other colour will stand out less.

Might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the tag wasn't initially present when the second thread was posted. The tag is fine, but if an untagged thread about a player with a gender neutral name is posted then there's always going to be confusion.

If the threads are tagged appropriately at creation I don't think there will be any problems.

Edit: although if I am wrong, having a different colour on the tag might be helpful too so I wouldn't object to that either!

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Like 2
4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Might be wrong, but I'm fairly sure the tag wasn't initially present when the second thread was posted. The tag is fine, but if an untagged thread about a player with a gender neutral name is posted then there's always going to be confusion.

If the threads are tagged appropriately at creation I don't think there will be any problems.

Agreed, but that's down to whoever creates the topic. A mod will fix them, or people can report the topic for a quicker response.

4 minutes ago, limpid said:

Agreed, but that's down to whoever creates the topic. A mod will fix them, or people can report the topic for a quicker response.

Yeah, that's fine. To be honest I wasn't even aware there was a separate tag or I'd just have suggested that in the thread, but I do know now.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, limpid said:

Topics about Villa Women are tagged "Villa Women". If people don't want to read them, don't read them.

I don't understand the issue.

Screenshot 2021-07-01 15.30.19.png

It was not tagged, about 6 people commented on that fact but it seems everything after page 1 was deleted without being read then.

A name like Remi is gender neutral. One poster mentioned he felt clickbaited. 

Can an ignore thread option be added, much like the ignore poster option so it doesn't show up for those not interested?

15 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It was not tagged, about 6 people commented on that fact but it seems everything after page 1 was deleted without being read then.

A name like Remi is gender neutral. One poster mentioned he felt clickbaited. 

Can an ignore thread option be added, much like the ignore poster option so it doesn't show up for those not interested?

Anything can be added if we pay for a developers time.

It takes fractionally more effort to report a post which isn't tagged properly than it would to ignore a thread.

If the women's threads were to be split from the men's, would the academy ones or those about owners/CEOs etc also be split? 

Personally, I have zero interest in women's football but I'm happy for them to remain where they are as I generally ignore most of the threads in there now anyway.

It might be helpful if as suggested a more distinctive tag was available or some form of ignore thread option to help those are annoyed by this steer clear. 

I think the easiest answer is probably to just delete the entire crazyness that is On Topic but that's clearly not gonna happen. 

5 hours ago, limpid said:

Anything can be added if we pay for a developers time.

It takes fractionally more effort to report a post which isn't tagged properly than it would to ignore a thread.

I think @Mark Albrightonhit it on the head that people are lazy and don't want to have to scroll past the threads to find the one they want.

Any ideas if hiring the developer to create the ignore thread option be an easy fix or if it would be quite costly? 

5 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Any ideas if hiring the developer to create the ignore thread option be an easy fix or if it would be quite costly? 

Absolutely no idea. We don't have enough subscribers to cover keeping the site advert free. We would need to bring adverts back to raise the funds and I don't want to do that.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, limpid said:

Absolutely no idea. We don't have enough subscribers to cover keeping the site advert free. We would need to bring adverts back to raise the funds and I don't want to do that.

We're short on subscribers now? 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

We're short on subscribers now? 

We are always short on subscribers. The ad revenue from non-members more of less covers the shortfall.

We just took a hit from the reserves as the site theme needed updating after the last software release (it always does).

27 minutes ago, limpid said:

We are always short on subscribers. The ad revenue from non-members more of less covers the shortfall.

We just took a hit from the reserves as the site theme needed updating after the last software release (it always does).

Just signed up. Not a lot right now but hopefully every little helps. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know you just wrote this 

creeping secret agent GIF by Manny404

Whilst I'm very glad to have a follower (just need one or two more to feel like a real cult leader) don't feel you need to read all my posts, they're really not that interesting.