EURO 2020: General Chat

AXD

This doesn't really link to any one group stage and I can't seem to find a general topic.

Seems like the final of euro 2020 might be moved to Hungary due to covid restrictions

Uefa threat over Euro 2020 final at Wembley

Football body warns it will take match from London to Hungary unless quarantine waived for 2,500 officials

Thousands of VIPs will be allowed into England without the need to quarantine under plans to stop the final of the European Championship being moved from Wembley to Budapest, The Times can reveal.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uefa-threat-euro-2020-final-quaranting-hungary-budapest-0f3jhc99v

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

It seems mad to me that Copenhagen looked to have effectively a full capacity yesterday, and Budapest a few days ago. 

For a nation with a 'world leading' vaccination program and the numbers so far treated in the UK being confirmed hour by hour on leading News platforms, then why we're still delaying the return of everything is nuts. I would fully commend UEFA by moving the final. Give our Government a kicking over the never-ending hand-wringing considering where we are as a nation. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think we know what they really mean by 2,500 “officials”.

Of course, it's stated in the article later on they mean 2500 VIPs.

money guys don't want to spend 10 days in quarantine.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a record 9 own goals. To put that in context, there has only been 18 in the history of the Euros. 50% in one tournament!

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Obviously the result really sucks right now, but . . . this was actually a really good tournament IMO. It felt like there were a lot of good games to me, top entertainment for a month.

Controversial opinion, but maybe international football is Good Actually.

Smashing tournament, international football gets a bad reputation because qualifiers are boring. Top teams though is different

The Euros are usually better quality than a World Cup 

• Like 2

Best team won. Italy taking out all of Belgium-Spain -England with home advantage is a very good run and they also dug in v Austria who were excellent.

Will be very strong at world cup as it's short enough timeframe for Bonucci and Chellini to make it if they so wish.

Just lack a decent CF as both options there are very mediocre for what they've had in the past. Wonder if Mancini might do more of the false 9 thing as that completely threw England with Insigne-Chiesa-Berardi all interchanging positions and creating more space for midfield to pass into.

As good as this tournament was hated all the constant venue switches. Much better with one home nation so excellent to see Germany have the next one in 2024 as always a good tournament when they host it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Best team won. Italy taking out all of Belgium-Spain -England with home advantage is a very good run and they also dug in v Austria who were excellent.

Will be very strong at world cup as it's short enough timeframe for Bonucci and Chellini to make it if they so wish.

Just lack a decent CF as both options there are very mediocre for what they've had in the past. Wonder if Mancini might do more of the false 9 thing as that completely threw England with Insigne-Chiesa-Berardi all interchanging positions and creating more space for midfield to pass into.

As good as this tournament was hated all the constant venue switches. Much better with one home nation so excellent to see Germany have the next one in 2024 as always a good tournament when they host it.

I think Italy are hoping Raspadori develops further in 18 months. Immobile and Belotti run and work hard but neither are elite finishers

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I think Italy are hoping Raspadori develops further in 18 months. Immobile and Belotti run and work hard but neither are elite finishers

I've watched Immobile play loads for Lazio so I've seen him with my own eyes score many goals (Lazio seem to get even more penalties than Man. United during seasons) but never seen a player so ineffective once he plays outside of his own country, was poor at Dortmund and Sevilla and bad in the knock out stages here.

Belotti more of a box player aswell but stock not as high as a few years ago, probably the sort we could actually sign as back up for Ollie unless one of major clubs in Serie A want him, stayed too long at Torino.

One of the best tournaments in a while all because the 'lesser' nations played really well and were a match for the 'bigger' teams. Switzerland, Denmark, Austria played some lovely football. Hungary (apart from the racism from the fans) were energetic. The Czechs too impressed me. 

Italy thoroughly deserved that win. Spain I think would have suffocated England into submission because of how they use and keep the ball. 

• Like 2

The tournament gets interesting once it’s the final 8 or so. There are too many terrible games in the group stages, so I would want it to go back to 16 teams (never going to happen of course). Half of europe qualifies, so it doesn’t seem a tournament of the best teams.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â