Juan Pablo Angel

TheSufferingVilla

31 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Afraid so.

In the old villa forums (on the official site) it even had Barry out threads.

It was mostly because people said he wasn't quick enough and didn't have many tricks to beat defenders.

He had a poor 6 months with us in about 2003/4. 

I remember my brother defending him to a group of lads sat next to us in the holte end, saying "can you just get behind him, and he'll probably play well" about 5 mins later he scored lol.

But yea, there was quite a lot of people who wanted him gone before he turned into captain fantastic.

What position was he? He was left mid with a shaved head around 2003 and was definitely one of the best wide left in the country. He should have been in the Euro 2004 squad but Sven refused to pick him. Can't remember him getting much stick at all.

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He got lots of stick betweeen 04-06. Sure we nearly sold him for 3 million to Pompey and people thought we'd be getting better deal

Yeah I was going to bring this up.

I remember the Pompey link and I remember people not really being bothered that he was leaving.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I was going to bring this up.

I remember the Pompey link and I remember people not really being bothered that he was leaving.

I remember him being linked to Blackburn in a swap deal with David Dunn aswell.

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Having watched the highlights of some of Liverpool's recent matches, I've been particularly impressed with Wijnaldum, who looks excellent these days. I remember they bought him, for quite a lot of money, after a distinctly ho hum season at Newcastle where he didn't do much of any note.

On the one hand, this proves your point - it is possible to judge players' ability when they're part of bad teams, and in fact the best scouts can see things in seemingly average players that the fan on the terraces can't see. On the other, of course, it proves the opposite point that a player's ceiling might be radically higher than it initially appears to be, and that the addition of better quality teammates can bring out ability in a player that is something really different from where they were before. There's no point trying to decide which is the 'real Wijnaldum', the struggling plodder at Newcastle or the dynamo excelling at Liverpool, because they are both the real him, just at different stages in his career and with different players around him. 

Dragging this back to JPA, the relevance is that both his season when he was brilliant and his season (seasons?) when he was poor were 'the real him', and the logical conclusion is that he was both a player with a much higher ceiling than, eg Peter Whittingham, but that he was also not good enough to carry the team on his back a la Benteke. Neither brilliant nor shite; just somewhere in the middle. 

Not much to disagree with. He had a couple of decent seasons and some shit ones. I feel he was very overrated by a lot of fans, i think his record fee and his difficult start meant fans were desperate for him to be the star striker we all dreamed of and when he wasn't it had to be the fault of others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He got lots of stick betweeen 04-06. Sure we nearly sold him for 3 million to Pompey and people thought we'd be getting better deal

He was excellent as part of a back 3 but he really was average out wide. 

The move to centre mid brought out the best in him.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

yeah was a good move by MON though I think Villa fans at time felt he could play there. His 1st season at left mid he was good but he declined so much under O'Leary

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Maybe I'm missing some seasons or something. Where did he start playing after Southgate left, was he centre half? He did struggle a bit there without Southgate shepherding.  Maybe 2002 was 

He was definitely better in the middle but he was brilliant left mid for us. "Barry for England" was chanted every game for about two years before he finally got into the squad.

Always remember the Blues 2-2 in 2004, we fell apart when Barry went off injured. He used to dictate most of our play from the left.

Portsmouth link was 2006 and I'd have been gutted if he left.

Start of 2006-07 he played as left sided midfielder in the 4-3-3 we looked pretty good with. He didn't play midfield though, that was McCann and Petrov for most of the season.

Given it's MON I can remember him playing at left back a few times that season aswell.

He was switched to central midfield a few games into 2007-08 season around the time he got the England recall and started playing for them alongside Gerrard.

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Start of 2006-07 he played as left sided midfielder in the 4-3-3 we looked pretty good with. He didn't play midfield though, that was McCann and Petrov for most of the season.

Given it's MON I can remember him playing at left back a few times that season aswell.

He was switched to central midfield a few games into 2007-08 season around the time he got the England recall and started playing for them alongside Gerrard.

Are you sure he didn't play in the midfield 3 most of that season? I even recall Gabby playing wide right for most of it. I had a season ticket so I should know this, but I only remember him playing a couple of games at left back and none as a winger?

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I remember people buzzing that we stole Southampton out of £2m for Crouch.

55 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are you sure he didn't play in the midfield 3 most of that season? I even recall Gabby playing wide right for most of it. I had a season ticket so I should know this, but I only remember him playing a couple of games at left back and none as a winger?

Well start of the season we played 4-3-3 with Gabby and Luke Moore either side of JPA and we started really well.

Then Luke did his shoulder at Chelsea and can't really remember what we did tbh apart from Chris Sutton started a few games including his memorable flicked header winner at Everton.

You're probably right and yes Barry in a 3 was always better than Barry in a two as if he was alongside Petrov we could get bypassed too easily by teams playing 4-5-1.

• 2 years later...
20 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Anyone think he was under rated?

I wouldn't say so, I think most who remember Angel at villa think a lot of him

Given he played under 4 managers here shows they all knew he was a good player, not many South Americans were in the Premier league at the time, other than solano I don't think any lasted as long as he did

Will always be one of my favorite villa players 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â