James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

52 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Time to pounce then. 

Are you suggesting for their players or for NSWE to buy the club and use it as our feeder club?:D

Although, it might not be the worst idea ever. They always seem to produce good youngsters and make some decent signings.

Edited by sparrow1988

14 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Is this deal still on or off? 

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148862n0yw0p11n1384l6hz

do not think it has ever been on truth be told 

Edited by Follyfoot

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

The league needs a salary cap that is enforced. So many clubs just make up the numbers now, and we are one of them. We have a glimmer of hope that we might break into the top group, but unless clubs like Newcastle get bought by nation states, they have no hope of doing anything other than maybe getting relegated.

Well if that ended up being linked to your turnover then we would have no chance of ever even thinking about competing for a top 4.

20 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Well if that ended up being linked to your turnover then we would have no chance of ever even thinking about competing for a top 4.

I don't think it should be tied to turnover - should just be a league-wide thing. 

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

you got to have a dream to have a dream come true. There is something mystical about our great club and I think we will do it as I suspect ffp will be a different beast in the coming years 

That sounds great from a narrative standpoint but the reality is a team like Chelsea who is only 12 points ahead of us just spent ~ £200 million on strikers alone the last 2 seasons. We are in the same league as them in name only. 

You look at us under Lerner and Southampton now. If an owner pulls the plug then it's not a question of having a poor season but your club possibly falling off the map altogether. None of this is sustainable. Something much stronger than FFP is needed in the future. 

1 minute ago, Rightdm00 said:

That sounds great from a narrative standpoint but the reality is a team like Chelsea who is only 12 points ahead of us just spent ~ £200 million on strikers alone the last 2 seasons. We are in the same league as them in name only. 

You look at us under Lerner and Southampton now. If an owner pulls the plug then it's not a question of having a poor season but your club possibly falling off the map altogether. None of this is sustainable. Something much stronger than FFP is needed in the future. 

And yet we took 4 points off them last year. They buy the finished article, we buy rough diamonds, its all about the polishing of these diamonds and we polish well by the looks of it. For example would take Watkins over Werner every day of the week

Saints fans seem fairly convinced that if the right bid comes in, he leaves. They all seem to think that it would take north of £40m at the very least. 
I'm not sure we're in a position to do that deal. If we can get him for closer to 35m, then perhaps, but Saints well within their right to tell us to f*** off. 

£35m + add ons. Given the Grealish money is only positive to our accounts this year, means it's there for next three years FFP. We need to make signings this window on 3/4 year contracts with options for 1 more so it means the amortisation of the fee is mainly spread over the 3 years we have the Grealish money on our books to offset.

So people need to not focus too much on the transfer fee. If we signed Ward Prowse for 40m this year on 6m per year wages on a 4 year deal with option for 1 more year. That is better for our FFP finances than getting him for 35m next year

1 minute ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Something seems to really be up at Southampton. I could see this one actually happening, although if it does, it'll be right before the end of the transfer window.

We are 100% in for him. Wouldn’t be shocked if we got him for around the 40m mark, less than most expect as we will pay a lot upfront.

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Saints fans seem fairly convinced that if the right bid comes in, he leaves. They all seem to think that it would take north of £40m at the very least. 
I'm not sure we're in a position to do that deal. If we can get him for closer to 35m, then perhaps, but Saints well within their right to tell us to f*** off. 

£40m - £45m does sound reasonable for him, as he's as big a player for them, as some bloke who used to play for us until recently (whose name escapes me) was for us. Let's do it.  

2 minutes ago, John said:

£40m - £45m does sound reasonable for him, as he's as big a player for them, as some bloke who used to play for us until recently (whose name escapes me) was for us. Let's do it.  

There are definitely advantages to Ward Prowse over somebody like Doucoure or Sarr in that he comes in, hits the ground running and it's a low risk transfer. I guess thats what you weigh up with every transfer though, do you want to pay the premium for a player who knows the league or take a chance at a lower price on somebody coming in from abroad?

If we ended up with Ward Prowse and Damsgaard that would be a very tidy window. 

Play something like...

------------------------------Ings------------------------
Damsgaard---------------------------------Bailey
--------------------------Buendia----------------------
---------------McGinn-----------JWP----------------

Just a thought anyway.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

There are definitely advantages to Ward Prowse over somebody like Doucoure or Sarr in that he comes in, hits the ground running and it's a low risk transfer. I guess thats what you weigh up with every transfer though, do you want to pay the premium for a player who knows the league or take a chance at a lower price on somebody coming in from abroad?

Play something like...

Just a thought anyway.

I think mentally we are all (me included) going to have difficulty moving on from the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 setup as we've been playing to for so damn long now. The proof will be in the results I guess. Still is seems harsh to drop Watkins after the year he's just had!

5 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Play something like...

Just a thought anyway.

Crazy to think we'd have players like Watkins, Luiz, Traore and Sanson in reserve.

2 years ago, our only 2 wingers at the club were El Ghazi and Trezeguet.

Edited by Keyblade

Just now, villaglint said:

I think mentally we are all (me included) going to have difficulty moving on from the 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 setup as we've been playing to for so damn long now. The proof will be in the results I guess. Still is seems harsh to drop Watkins after the year he's just had!

It definitely does, but we decided that we wanted Ings so tough decisions have to be made. If we play 4-4-2 we'll get taken apart. Watkins will have to start from the left which I don't think is a great move.  

Just now, Keyblade said:

Crazy to think we'd have players like Watkins, Luiz, Traore and Sanson in reserve.

That's how you build success. You have a good season, and then the players who got you to where you are, then become squad players as you buy better. 

I think we're so used to having such a poor squad of players, we as fans can't quite fathom how we've ended up with two strikers like Ings and Watkins. Two strikers that would start for 80% of the teams in the league. The reality is though, we're likely to play up to 50 games this season and when Ings isn't playing, Watkins plays and when we're chasing games, both of them will be on the pitch. There is plenty of game time to be had for both players. 

This idea that because we have two good players in one specific position means one has to play out of position and shoehorned into the side will cost us. We need to sign a left sided forward and Ings and Watkins can then fight for the shirt. If one is injured, the other comes in. If the left winger we sign is injured, Watkins can cover.

A squad is important, we just need to get the balance right. This is why JWP would be an important signing. We seem to have a lot of players that can play the 8/10, but nobody that can play the 6 very well (I don't rate Luiz or Nakamba much). 

39 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

But what is our net spend so far this summer? 

It's about zero, meaning we can afford 40m for JWP.

Just now, maqroll said:

But what is our net spend so far this summer? 

It's about zero, meaning we can afford 40m for JWP.

Agreed, but we need a new attacking player as well. I think we've probably got another 80m to spend this Summer on two players. I hope anyway. 

10 minutes ago, villaglint said:

You know what I think I will get over it if we win matches.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â