VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Best place for this I guess…

I’m on a bank holiday sesh and I’m in a pub called Doctor Duncan’s. I nip outside for a ciggie. One of the bar staff and a punter are having a conversation about the red old style phone box opposite. The bar staff fella says the only other red phone box he knows is in Meols….

I interrupt and say that phone box in Meols is 0151 632 3003. 
They think it’s bullshit. 
Ring it then….

Ferrrrk

I am now a god :D 

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, blandy said:

Cracking boozer

It is, my recollection of last night is that for a city centre boozer the prices were good too. 4 of us, round was never £20

• Like 1

I'm no Ed Sheeran fan, but it's good that he won that stupid Marvin Gaye court case. How many similar songs are there? Take these two - Frankie Miller's "Ain't Got No Money" (1975) and Bob Seger's "Fire Down Below (1976). (I think Seger may have owned up by doing an actual cover of the Miller track in 1978). 

McCartney at the BBC tonight on BBC4, initially it looked like it may be him in the 2010s doing Beatles covers, thankfully it’s shifted to the 70s and his solo and Wings catalogue. That said he did a soloish acoustic  version of Yesterday from the 70s and you forget, not you Bickster, other Yous, you forget how good a song it is. 

• Like 1

A very interesting post from Mr Mooney; sometimes difficult to distinguish between a similar 'riff' and downright plagiarism. For instance ; who thought "My Sweet Lord " was nicked from "He's So Fine". The one that comes to my (particular ) mind is this :-

Edited by veloman

26 minutes ago, veloman said:

A very interesting post from Mr Mooney; sometimes difficult to distinguish between a similar 'riff' and downright plagiarism. For instance ; who thought "My Sweet Lord " was nicked from "He's So Fine". The one that comes to my (particular ) mind is this :-

Steely Dan liked lifting from jazz records, but usually as obvious 'quotations' - the intro to 'Rikki Don't Lose That Number' IS Horace Silver's 'Song For My Father' (in a different key). 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001lcj9

A little radio wander around the record shops of Cardiff.

Spillers: Obviously

Kelly’s: I realised a few days ago Kelly’s has been there for ever, I’ve thumbed through the records for ever, I have never ever bought a single thing from there

Cardiff Record Exchange: A truly excellent used record store and a genuinely nice guy that always does this weird negotiate himself down thing. You go to the counter with a record that’s got £15 on it and he’ll say, give us £13, call it £12, shall we make it a tenner? If he has 3 copies of a record, they’ll have 3 prices. They’ll all be the same, he just noticed some people like to buy the cheap one, some people like to buy the expensive one, some people play safe and go for the middle one.

Flipside: I’d never heard of this place, and will now seek it out.

@XannThats a great video, they could do another one on the Indian influence in both reggae and rastafarianism itself too.... Jackie Mittoo, Lee Gopthal....

And don't get me started on Chutney music :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Having a Kinks evening again.

If you could only have 1 song, the one you rescue from the waves, bloody hell it would have to be good to be better than Lola.

Do love a bit of The Kinks. Personal faves include Victoria, Big Sky and Supersonic Rocket Ship.

The best of collection is regularly played on long car journeys with the family. 

• Like 2

I can remember the kinks ultimate collection being advertised about 20 years ago and 18/19 year old me, not knowing loads about them, thought “Oh yeah, ‘You really got me’, ‘Lola’…maybe there’s one or two others I know…”.

Over the next 30 or so seconds I must have thought “Damn I didn’t know they did that one too!” about half a dozen times. I was out buying it within a day or so. 

I suppose my point is that despite their numerous well known classics, I think there’s an unassuming quality about them. I kinda feel they should be more on the level the like the stones and the who are in the public consciousness but for whatever reason, I don’t think they are.

• Like 2

I’ve got a couple of early Who albums and a ‘best of’ double album but they don’t get played and it’s space I need so they’re on the list for the next storage tub.

I’ve never owned a Stones album, other than I’m fairly sure somewhere I’ve got some early ‘best of, that would only cover 60’s and a bit of ‘70’s.

But yeah if you did a poll, I’m sure people would name them bands long before they remembered to say Kinks.

32 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I can remember the kinks ultimate collection being advertised about 20 years ago and 18/19 year old me, not knowing loads about them, thought “Oh yeah, ‘You really got me’, ‘Lola’…maybe there’s one or two others I know…”.

Over the next 30 or so seconds I must have thought “Damn I didn’t know they did that one too!” about half a dozen times. I was out buying it within a day or so. 

I suppose my point is that despite their numerous well known classics, I think there’s an unassuming quality about them. I kinda feel they should be more on the level the like the stones and the who are in the public consciousness but for whatever reason, I don’t think they are.

They should be talked about in more reverend tones that you know… that bunch of scousers I'm bound to mention. Certainly wrote better songs

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â