VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Most boring is a weird thing to remember. Worst bands, shittest gig we must have done a few times over. Most boring gig though?

I suppose doing lights in a village hall somewhere random for Dr Feelgood now I think of it. They didn't want any colour change or anything just static lighting. I think we changed a couple of lights from blue to white in between one of the early songs so you could see the singer a bit better and at the interval he wasn't happy. "I said no movement". etc. That kind of sapped all the fun out of the rest of the evening.

• Like 1

Boring: Brian May.

A bad gig made boring by playing his Ford advert song 3 times. Once mid set, then repeating it a few songs later, then erm, yep one more time as the encore. Weirdest shit set list I’d ever witnessed.

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Most boring is a weird thing to remember. Worst bands, shittest gig we must have done a few times over. Most boring gig though?

Increasingly I've been able to mentally check out at gigs if an act isn't doing it for me, whereas in days past I would have been paying slavish attention for the duration.  I've also recently found myself double-checking setlists for shows in advance so I can see if I'm due to get the songs I want and check if I'll be fussed enough by the closers or any potential encore with a view to slipping out before the throng and get an earlier train home.

Out and out boring... maybe when I've gone along to stuff that the wife wants to see and I've no interest in, but God knows she's been to enough the other way round so all's fair in love and war.  Mike And The Mechanics being the most recent example, like watching paint dry for me but at least it was seated.

32 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Increasingly I've been able to mentally check out at gigs if an act isn't doing it for me, whereas in days past I would have been paying slavish attention for the duration.  I've also recently found myself double-checking setlists for shows in advance so I can see if I'm due to get the songs I want and check if I'll be fussed enough by the closers or any potential encore with a view to slipping out before the throng and get an earlier train home.

Out and out boring... maybe when I've gone along to stuff that the wife wants to see and I've no interest in, but God knows she's been to enough the other way round so all's fair in love and war.  Mike And The Mechanics being the most recent example, like watching paint dry for me but at least it was seated.

Yeah I sometimes use setlist.fm just to see what I might get to see for this very same reason.

As for the most boring concert I've been to, not sure honestly, most have been great. I was a bit disappointed seeing KAS:ST though when I saw them, because the set they played was nothing like a lot of the music they're known for and generally a little stale. Left after a few songs since the DJs before they came on did a better job.

• Like 1

Most boring is easy for me, Mumford and sons headlining reading, I actually don't mind them, it started well too, from memory it ended ok but **** me there was like or 7 or 8 song section in the middle that was just dreary 

Second would be elbow supporting Coldplay, maybe a bit harsh on them as it was the day after watching oasis but the come down was massive 

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Most boring is easy for me, Mumford and sons headlining reading, I actually don't mind them, it started well too, from memory it ended ok but **** me there was like or 7 or 8 song section in the middle that was just dreary 

Second would be elbow supporting Coldplay, maybe a bit harsh on them as it was the day after watching oasis but the come down was massive 

I really can imagine Elbow being boring. Placebo for me but loads of contenders. 

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I saw them twice, once at Neil Young’s Bridge School Benefit and also opening for U2. Such a massive serving of meh. 

Dude gets to go home to Carey Mulligan, so who’s laughing now? 🤣

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I really can imagine Elbow being boring. Placebo for me but loads of contenders. 

Like I said a lot of elbow (and Coldplay) was more the come down from oasis

We were kind of in a shit position in the crowd and the words "we'll wait for a lively one to come on and then when the crowd move we'll make a move" thinking we'd get nearer the front, that crowd never budged all night 

I have just visited The Tangled Parrot, Carmarthen.

There is a chance it’s the second best record shop in the world.

I haven’t bought anything today, but other half is on notice I will be back before the end of the week once I’ve processed all the stuff I’ve just seen and worked out what I ‘need’.

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I haven’t bought anything today, but other half is on notice I will be back before the end of the week once I’ve processed all the stuff I’ve just seen and worked out what I ‘need’.

Bit of sensory overload?

I'd be the same, yet my old man will just see something he likes and buys it. Whatever it is. A new pair of shoes, a weekend away, or as last week proved, a new car. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Xela said:

Bit of sensory overload?

I'd be the same, yet my old man will just see something he likes and buys it. Whatever it is. A new pair of shoes, a weekend away, or as last week proved, a new car. 

We get like that when we reach A Certain Age. You can't take it with you, and all that. I don't want to buy a car, but stuff like books, records, clothes, guitars, gadgets, etc. - where once I would have been frugal, now I just think "**** it", and buy. It's fun. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We get like that when we reach A Certain Age. You can't take it with you, and all that. I don't want to buy a car, but stuff like books, records, clothes, guitars, gadgets, etc. - where once I would have been frugal, now I just think "**** it", and buy. It's fun. 

Ain’t no pockets in them shrouds 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Bit of sensory overload?

Yes, it literally was.

A Welsh music section that had 3 or 4 albums I’d been looking for plus a bunch of stuff I’d never heard of. A dub section where the stuff I knew was all at the correct price which makes me think the stuff I didn’t know was also properly priced. They had a Krautrock section where everything looked interesting, a whole bunch of Finders Keepers compilations. 

I think I could easily have spent a couple of hundred, but the dearest thing was £24.

An evening on Discogs working out what’s best acquired whilst I can.

• Like 1

Johnny Marr vs Morrissey is about to get very amusing :D 

Marr has legally won the right to the Smiths name, meaning he can tour as The Smiths with a different vocalist :crylaugh:

Morrissey appears to be rewriting history claiming that only he formed The Smiths

I don’t think Marr has won the exclusive right to use the name so we could be about to witness a rerun of the Mud touring lineups. Mud and Les Gray’s Mud etc

And what’s the odds of Marr touring with Rick Astley as the singer…

• Haha 1

Green Day appear to be getting the Ticketmaster / Dynamic Pricing pushback in Australia now $500 (Australian) for a ticket 

It's so obviously wrong but the people paying those prices are also so obviously imbeciles

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â