VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

The Song That Connects Jackson Browne, Nico and Margot Tenenbaum

When he was 16, Jack Browne sat down at his parents’ kitchen table in Fullerton, Calif., and started picking out a tune on an old Kay guitar.

In 1965, the fledgling songwriter and high school junior — inspired by books, records and his own suburban disaffection — began weaving together an existential number about loss and regret called “These Days.”

It would be a year until he finished the song, nearly a decade before he recorded it properly. By the time Jackson Browne, as he would be known professionally, cut it for his 1973 album “For Everyman” — which will be reissued on Sept. 20 — it had already been done in two distinct, definitive versions: the first by the German chanteuse and Velvet Underground collaborator Nico, then later by the Southern rocker Gregg Allman.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Best version is the one on For Everyman (David Lindley!) 

Gregg Allman's is very good. 

I can't take Nico's singing seriously, 

Nicos for me is the best but I do like Glen Campbells version. I appreciate both depending on the listener could be beaten. 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

A band I used to love, this version is new to me. Great stuff. 

Fairly obscure, recorded for a tribute album iirc. But its on that best of double album compilation pictured in the video.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Not to be confused with their own "These are the Days"

Might be THE most boring live act I have ever witnessed. Saw them open for R.E.M. twice and good lord were they ever snoozy. Only close competition was Natalie Merchant herself, again opening for R.E.M., on a bill that included an at the time barely known band called Radiohead. She did a cover of Sympathy for the Devil that was the most egregious musical crime I have seen with my own two eyes 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Might be THE most boring live act I have ever witnessed

I've seen far far far worse than 10kM

One that springs to mind is a Liverpool band who had a small amount of success and exposure called Cook Da Books, in the early 80s Liverpool and Manchester were the epicentres of alt/indie/Post-Punk, this band were signed on the back of that and f**k knows why.

So anyway there was a series of gigs at the Garden Festival site one of them was Cook Da Books, we were selling tickets for the gig in the Student Union and we fancied a quick blag into the gig for a few beers in a different venue so we turned up on the premise of returning the tickets (we hadn't sold any!). WIthin 2 minutes of being there, me and my mate were roped in as spotlight operators (We knew how to - no one else apparently did its not hard) - we had a French Lighting Director who was calling the shots via headsets and we were up a scaffold tower. The comms were awful, my mates packed in almost straight away so I was having explain this Ms Frenchie so a plan was hatched that I had to pass instructions onto my mate via hand signals, this is already insane and we only wanted to blag in for a few pints. So this rather empty show was lit very well despite the difficulties and despite all that going on....

Cook Da Books were still f***ing boring

I'd also seen them elsewhere without the added distraction of spotlight operating through the medium of mime. Still shite

There are probably others I'll remember at some point

Oh yes Voice of the Beehive, there's a phot of me somewhere doing front stage security in the State Ballroom, totally bored and smoking a ciggie with them onstage. They weren't as bad as Cook Da Books though

Just now, bickster said:

One that springs to mind is a Liverpool band who had a small amount of success and exposure called Cook Da Books, in the early 80s Liverpool and Manchester were the epicentres of alt/indie/Post-Punk, this band were signed on the back of that and f**k knows why.

So anyway there was a series of gigs at the Garden Festival site one of them was Cook Da Books, we were selling tickets for the gig in the Student Union and we fancied a quick blag into the gig for a few beers in a different venue so we turned up on the premise of returning the tickets (we hadn't sold any!). WIthin 2 minutes of being there, me and my mate were roped in as spotlight operators (We knew how to - no one else apparently did its not hard) - we had a French Lighting Director who was calling the shots via headsets and we were up a scaffold tower. The comms were awful, my mates packed in almost straight away so I was having explain this Ms Frenchie so a plan was hatched that I had to pass instructions onto my mate via hand signals, this is already insane and we only wanted to blag in for a few pints. So this rather empty show was lit very well despite the difficulties and despite all that going on....

I'd also seen them elsewhere without the added distraction of spotlight operating through the medium of mime. Still shite

Oh yes Voice of the Beehive, there's a phot of me somewhere doing front stage security in the State Ballroom, totally bored and smoking a ciggie with them onstage. They weren't as bad as Cook Da Books though

I’m starting to think you might be what is known as a “topper” 😉

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Obviously I'm aware it means you can top that, as in people's stories.

"I had the biggest cake!"

"I had a bigger cake"

etc

5 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I think it's gay slang bicks

Obviously in this context I'm a bottomer :D 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

Away from home so not certain and looked at wikipedia on why the hell I have heard of Cook Da Books. I either have a single by them or they appeared on an indie top 20 compilation. Either way, yes they are forgettable. 

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

What would we call it ? One upsmanship?

What I refer to as an 'Elevenerifer'.

As in, if you've been to Tenerife, they've been to Elevenerife.

I've worked with a few bellends like that over the years 😐

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

What I refer to as an 'Elevenerifer'.

As in, if you've been to Tenerife, they've been to Elevenerife.

I've worked with a few bellends like that over the years 😐

Was that when you were doing security for Voice of the Beehive :(

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â