VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

On 30/08/2024 at 10:18, rjw63 said:

Not sure I’m the first to ever mention this, but…

Go on YouTube and play the first thirty seconds of 10538 Overture by Electric Light Orchestra.

Then play the first thirty seconds of Changing Man by Paul Weller.

I wonder if Jeff Lynne sued?

Jeff Lynne is a supreme ripoff artist himself, so is fair game. 

IMG-0506.jpg

Went to this amazing exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco a few weeks back. Featured tons of visual stuff- posters, handbills, flyers, album covers- and a spectacular collection of artful playback devices, starting with Edison and going up to right now. 

Our favorite part of the whole thing was this:

IMG-0493.jpg

IMG-0492.jpg

The sound quality was truly spectacular 🤯 We could have sat there all day but alas had to eventually move on, as we had places to be. While we were there they only played classical and jazz. Would love to have heard some rock but not complaining one bit 

• Like 3

if you’re interested in people experimenting with making their own hifi equipment, there’s a meet up in the holiday Inn, Barnsley, the last weekend of October.

Lots of people with bedrooms dedicated to showing off what they’ve built.

I’m on a forum for the original Swiss Lenco, and they have a room available for LH members to set up their kit and play.

Very informal, sort of hifi equipment version of run what ya brung at drag race meetings. With the whole hotel booked out, there’s no issues around volume or soundproofing.

But I appreciate Chico to Barnsley in October could be a leap of the imagination.

I went to 'In Search of Repetitive Beats' at Birmingham Art Gallery/Museum last week.

It was an hour long, VR experience, about the 1989 acid house scene. I was too young to remember it myself, but I've followed it every since and always found it interesting.

It was incredible - and I mean INCREDIBLE. The documentary/story itself was superb, but the whole VR side of it too was so well done. I can't stop thinking about it :D 

Honestly, it goes on tour soon, if you've half an interest in that kind of scene, get yourself down there, worth every single penny. Mind blowing. 

It was so immersive, I keep finding hot rock burns on the seat of my Pug 205 and I've had a runny nose every since

Edited by T-Dog

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

if you’re interested in people experimenting with making their own hifi equipment, there’s a meet up in the holiday Inn, Barnsley, the last weekend of October.

Lots of people with bedrooms dedicated to showing off what they’ve built.

I’m on a forum for the original Swiss Lenco, and they have a room available for LH members to set up their kit and play.

Very informal, sort of hifi equipment version of run what ya brung at drag race meetings. With the whole hotel booked out, there’s no issues around volume or soundproofing.

But I appreciate Chico to Barnsley in October could be a leap of the imagination.

Damn, I’ll be in Minneapolis that weekend 

2 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I went to 'In Search of Repetitive Beats' at Birmingham Art Gallery/Museum last week.

It was an hour long, VR experience, about the 1989 acid house scene. I was too young to remember it myself, but I've followed it every since and always found it interesting.

It was incredible - and I mean INCREDIBLE. The documentary/story itself was superb, but the whole VR side of it too was so well done. I can't stop thinking about it :D 

Honestly, it goes on tour soon, if you've half an interest in that kind of scene, get yourself down there, worth every single penny. Mind blowing. 

It was so immersive, I keep finding hot rock burns on the seat of my Pug 205 and I've had a runny nose every since

I feel that younger people will not know about the repetitive beats legislation and just how **** awful those tory words removed were. 

• Like 2

This year’s Welsh Music Prize shortlist:

Aleighcia Scott – Windrush Baby 

Angharad – Motherland

Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard – Skinwalker 

CHROMA – Ask for Angela 

Cowbois Rhos Botwnnog – Mynd â’r tŷ am dro 

Elkka – Prism of Pleasure 

Georgia Ruth – Cool Head 

Gruff Rhys – Sadness Sets Me Free 

HMS Morris – Dollar Lizard Money Zombie 

L E M F R E C K – BLOOD SWEAT & FEARS 

Mellt – Dim Dwywaith

Pys Melyn – Bolmynydd 

Skindred – Smile

Slate – Deathless 

I’ve only picked up 4 (bold) of this year’s crop. I do like the Georgia Ruth one, I suspect Angharad could win it.

I’ll pick up the Pys Melvyn one eventually.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

This year’s Welsh Music Prize shortlist:

Aleighcia Scott – Windrush Baby 

Angharad – Motherland

Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard – Skinwalker 

CHROMA – Ask for Angela 

Cowbois Rhos Botwnnog – Mynd â’r tŷ am dro 

Elkka – Prism of Pleasure 

Georgia Ruth – Cool Head 

Gruff Rhys – Sadness Sets Me Free 

HMS Morris – Dollar Lizard Money Zombie 

L E M F R E C K – BLOOD SWEAT & FEARS 

Mellt – Dim Dwywaith

Pys Melyn – Bolmynydd 

Skindred – Smile

Slate – Deathless 

I’ve only picked up 4 (bold) of this year’s crop. I do like the Georgia Ruth one, I suspect Angharad could win it.

I’ll pick up the Pys Melvyn one eventually.

The Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard album was a lot better than their previous one - good to see live too. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

The Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard album was a lot better than their previous one - good to see live too. 

One of those I’ve had in my hand a couple of times, then spotted something else.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â