VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Oh shit. 

It’s a straight up bargain at $/£ per disc. Same as the 66 and Rolling Thunder live box sets. Too bad it doesn’t include any sets of The Band (but hey, I still have all the boots). I understand why they aren’t included but would still like to have them. 

I’ll be seeing him in 26 days 

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Mate was talking to me about it, he's bought through some third man records subscription which apparently has something to do with jack white

Third Man is Jack White’s label (though it’s more than just a label)

6 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Third Man is Jack White’s label (though it’s more than just a label)

You can get the Dylan vinyl if you subscribe to the next quarter before the 31st July (£80)

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Oh shit. 

I laugh at this because of my dad. Same age as you and a Dylan fan. When ever Bob releases a box set he ponders the cost for weeks makes noises about how he can't justify it then waits for my sister and I to club together and buy it for him.

I think this might be a step too far though...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

It’s a straight up bargain at $/£ per disc. Same as the 66 and Rolling Thunder live box sets. 

Indeed. And I bought both of those. 

But the fact is, I don't even like the 1974 gigs. They're all too... frenetic. I have Before The Flood and a couple of boots of other shows, and I never play them. So, am I going to cough up best part of a hundred quid for a big box of music - 25 near-identical versions of 'Like a Rolling Stone' - just to see it on the shelf feeding my completist obsession? I have limits - I baulked at the 3CD Tell Tale Signs because of the price (obviously I obtained the music on the third disc by other means). I baulked at the ultra-deluxe Cutting Edge. And I baulked at the Complete Budokan. This one is in the balance. 

Edited by mjmooney

Posted (edited)

It very much ties in with the conversation we were having about going to multiple gigs by the same band. On balance, I prefer seeing a favourite artist as a memorable one-off special event that will live in memory, rather than it being an almost routine thing. Familiarity breeds contempt, perhaps. 

And box sets of tours are dangerously close to having the same effect. For years I heard about, but never actually heard, the famous 1966 Free Trade Hall 'Judas' gig. When I finally got my hands on the bootleg, it was wonderful, all it was cracked up to be. Then it was released officially. Nice. Then the whole tour box came out. Of course, I bought it, it's historic. But to this day, I've never played more than half of the discs. This is not The Grateful Dead playing wildly different sets, it's pretty much the same every night, with minor nuances. The Rolling Thunder '75 set was quite a bit more varied, but still repetitious. And there's less of it. I'd probably buy a similar box of the '76 leg if and when it comes out. But '74? I dunno. 

If they release a smaller set of just the unique tracks (songs that got played once only, and so far unreleased) as a single 'composite' show, I'll be all over it. 

Edited by mjmooney

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It very much ties in with the conversation we were having about going to multiple gigs by the same band. On balance, I prefer seeing a favourite artist as a memorable one-off special event that will live in memory, rather than it being an almost routine thing. Familiarity breeds contempt, perhaps. 

And box sets of tours are dangerously close to having the same effect. For years I heard about, but never actually heard, the famous 1966 Free Trade Hall 'Judas' gig. When I finally got my hands on the bootleg, it was wonderful, all it was cracked up to be. Then it was released officially. Nice. Then the whole tour box came out. Of course, I bought it, it's historic. But to this day, I've never played more than half of the discs. This is not The Grateful Dead playing wildly different sets, it's pretty much the same every night, with minor nuances. The Rolling Thunder '75 set was quite a bit more varied, but still repetitious. And there's less of it. I'd probably buy a similar box of the '76 leg if and when it comes out. But '74? I dunno. 

If they release a smaller set of just the unique tracks (songs that got played once only, and so far unreleased) as a single 'composite' show, I'll be all over it. 

That’s an enormous word salad just to say, “I’m a lightweight” 😉🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

That’s an enormous word salad just to say, “I’m a lightweight” 😉🤣

I've learned to wear my lightweight mantle with pride. 

• Like 1

I was worried my 11 Super Furry Animals records were looking a bit like I wasn’t rounded enough in my listening.

My brother does this 20 versions of the same record thing, because this one is from Japan and this one is a different shade of black. Personally, I get more enjoyment out of having one copy of the thing I want, and 19 randoms of discovery. Each to their own.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I've learned to wear my lightweight mantle with pride. 

I'll wear it proudly through the dives and the dancehalls
If you'll wear it proudly through the snakepits and catcalls
Like a fifteen year old kid wears a vampire kiss
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I'll wear it proudly through the dives and the dancehalls
If you'll wear it proudly through the snakepits and catcalls
Like a fifteen year old kid wears a vampire kiss
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed

My favourite Costello album, that. 

• Like 2

For no real reason other than topicality I thought I’d share this photo from my local vendor.

They post pictures of stock refreshes and new lines in.

spacer.png

a chunky looking Grateful Dead cd box

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â