VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Aren't Keane, Coldplay and Snow Patrol all the same band? 

Think that's unfair on Keane and Snow Patrol, and I say that as someone who doesn't care for either of them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

@Nor-Cal Villan I’m assuming  you’re of the age of The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane The Doors ? 

I was born in 66 so while I am a huge Deadhead, got to see them 137 times between 83 & 95, I didn’t get to experience the Doors or Airplane (not including their misguided 1989 reunion) in real time. I do like both bands a lot but nowhere near as much as GD (certainly my favorite band, end of).

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I was born in 66 so while I am a huge Deadhead, got to see them 137 times between 83 & 95, I didn’t get to experience the Doors or Airplane (not including their misguided 1989 reunion) in real time. I do like both bands a lot but nowhere near as much as GD (certainly my favorite band, end of).

I was born in 1983. First got into The Doors followed by Airplane then The Dead. Jefferson Airplane probably my favourite out the 3. Grace Slick in her heyday was the ultimate pin up chic for me. 

what’s your favourite album by GD 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was born in 1983. First got into The Doors followed by Airplane then The Dead. Jefferson Airplane probably my favourite out the 3. Grace Slick in her heyday was the ultimate pin up chic for me. 

what’s your favourite album by GD 

Yeah, Grace in her prime was a real hottie 

Honest answer to your question about GD albums: none of them if you mean studio. Don’t get me wrong, a handful are good (American Beauty, Workingman’s Dead, Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel) but none even remotely capture what they were as a live band. Of the official albums they released before Jerry’s death, Live/Dead is “the one”. I also really love Reckoning (live acoustic album from 1980 tour). All of the numerous volumes of the Dick’s Picks/Dave’s Picks series of live releases are very good to spectacular. 

Long story short: GD were a live band and their studio records aren’t a good representation of what they were about. Pretty much the opposite of every other band, which is a pretty solid description of how they went about things 🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Yeah, Grace in her prime was a real hottie 

Honest answer to your question about GD albums: none of them if you mean studio. Don’t get me wrong, a handful are good (American Beauty, Workingman’s Dead, Wake of the Flood, Mars Hotel) but none even remotely capture what they were as a live band. Of the official albums they released before Jerry’s death, Live/Dead is “the one”. I also really love Reckoning (live acoustic album from 1980 tour). All of the numerous volumes of the Dick’s Picks/Dave’s Picks series of live releases are very good to spectacular. 

Long story short: GD were a live band and their studio records aren’t a good representation of what they were about. Pretty much the opposite of every other band, which is a pretty solid description of how they went about things 🤣

Totally agree with all this mate. They lived for the road, one of the great live bands when they were on it , sometimes boring as **** when it weren’t working . Was listening to Touch Of Grey yesterday which is a great song. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Totally agree with all this mate. They lived for the road, one of the great live bands when they were on it , sometimes boring as **** when it weren’t working . Was listening to Touch Of Grey yesterday which is a great song. 

That happens when you’re trying to capture magic every night 👍👍

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

That happens when you’re trying to capture magic every night 👍👍

Can imagine you’d have been into Santana too. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

@Nor-Cal Villan - What do you make of 'Greyfolded'? 

I love it, but I am biased as I really like it when they get all weird & sinister with drums/space, Dark Star jams that lead to deep space, etc. For me the weirder the better. It’s one of a handful of things I had better not play if my wife is in the house 🤣 She loves GD as well but doesn’t dig the evil sinister insane space shit like I do 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Can imagine you’d have been into Santana too. 

Yeah but only the early stuff. The stuff he made millions off of, all those albums with guest singers (Supernatural) does nothing positive for me. He’s a great musician but is totally at the mercy of the material, and for my money the songs have never been much good after Gregg Rolie split. I would be happy had he stopped after the 74 live album Lotus. Of course he’s made fortunes since then, but in my opinion has done nothing that advanced his musical legacy one single inch 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Yeah but only the early stuff. The stuff he made millions off of, all those albums with guest singers (Supernatural) does nothing positive for me. He’s a great musician but is totally at the mercy of the material, and for my money the songs have never been much good after Gregg Rolie split. I would be happy had he stopped after the 74 live album Lotus. Of course he’s made fortunes since then, but in my opinion has done nothing that advanced his musical legacy one single inch 

I prefer the early stuff too . Not much time for his latter stuff but great guitarist . Lotus is superb.  Randy California/Spirit  was another from the west coast that I like. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I prefer the early stuff too . Not much time for his latter stuff but great guitarist . Lotus is superb.  Randy California/Spirit  was another from the west coast that I like. 

Man, I haven’t listened to Spirit in a very long time. You’ve motivated me to dig out Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus 👍👍

• Like 1

After the heavy rock scene from late 60s all through the 70s which I’d say is my favourite the west coast scene from the 60s/70s is next.  Prog was hit and miss for me. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He’s still a god in the Bay Area/Nor Cal in general. He’s coming around soon, with Counting Crows as opening act. Sounds like an ungodly snooze fest to me 🤣 and an extremely expensive snooze fest at that 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â