VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Finishing pints at Magnolia Brewing on Haight St. in San Francisco and about to walk down the street to legendary Amoeba Records, one of the finest record stores in all of the land. I’ll be thinking of you lads 🍻

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

Among my friends I've always had the reputation of being The Music Nerd. Y'know, has a big record collection, goes to a lot of gigs, is a walking encyclopaedia of music trivia, etc. And it's true that music (along with books) is as essential to my life as food and drink. 

But I've realised that, compared to some, I'm a complete lightweight. I've got friends (of my age) who go to two or three gigs a week, week in week out. Like the couple who couldn't understand why I didn't want to go to Ireland to stand in the rain to watch Bruce Springsteen. I like Springsteen, but my view is that I saw him in 2013, really enjoyed it, and... that was enough. I go to maybe one local gig a month (or less), almost always for mates who play in local bands. I buy about four or five albums a year - some friends are still buying that many every week. 

I feel almost guilty about it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Among my friends I've always had the reputation of being The Music Nerd. Y'know, has a big record collection, goes to a lot of gigs, is a walking encyclopaedia of music trivia, etc. And it's true that music (along with books) is as essential to my life as food and drink. 

But I've realised that, compared to some, I'm a complete lightweight. I've got friends (of my age) who go to two or three gigs a week, week in week out. Like the couple who couldn't understand why I didn't want to go to Ireland to stand in the rain to watch Bruce Springsteen. I like Springsteen, but my view is that I saw him in 2013, really enjoyed it, and... that was enough. I go to maybe one local gig a month (or less), almost always for mates who play in local bands. I buy about four or five albums a year - some friends are still buying that many every week. 

I feel almost guilty about it. 

Music as a competitive sport is a real thing. First question will almost always be ‘how many records you got?’.

It’s your hobby for your pleasure, do it your way.

People come to my house expecting to see wall to wall records and speakers from a Notting Hill sound system. They leave bemused.

• Like 2

Â