VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Radiohead offshoot The Smile must be on some sort of steroids, they’ve just announced their third album is coming out in October, the second release this year. It’s on  my list already.

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

Radiohead offshoot The Smile must be on some sort of steroids, they’ve just announced their third album is coming out in October, the second release this year. It’s on  my list already.

Guided by Voices says hold my 🍺🤣

On 25/08/2024 at 21:18, chrisp65 said:

Seeing the chatter in the Oasis thread, makes me remember the bands that had those big formative influences on me.

I guess the very first must have been Nazareth, but then quickly taken over by an obsession with The Jam. Then I guess after that, the bands were definitely favourite bands but not any longer in that obsessive early years way. I guess we got taken up in the two bands that could release a great album AND put on a great and regular gig, so it became Super Furry Animals and Alabama 3.

Not least with the last two because, whatever you think of Weller retrospectively, he said he’d wrap up the Jam in a few years and never reform, and he stuck to it. It would have been very easy to just think **** it, and cash in a tour once a decade.

I suppose for me, I'd think of the time before both the Madchester thing and the Seattle thing became massive influences on my teenage years as the formative times. Which would mean playing the Blues Brothers Soundtrack until the grooves on the album must surely be much smoother and deeper than people could conceive of. And subsequently searching out a briefcase full of blues and also playing that to death. A family friend lent me his Queen vinyl collection one by one (along with the required training in handling/storing etc) and I taped them all until I'd religiously built up my first anthology. I suppose, when I think of that process, so much was defined by what access to what stuff we had - in a way that would probably seem alien to the nippers of today with their spoitify's and their youtubes. My folks had a fair bit of vinyl although I would say 3 records were probably deemed interesting enough by nipper me to actually put them on the radiogram (yes I'm that old and it was a real thing in our lounge), namely:

The Who My Generation

th?id=OIP.i9Zsf2s9-FtMB5qBIN5CZQAAAA%26p

courtesy of my dad.

The best of Eric Clapton

th?id=OIP.4MKLg40q-EcJaYK28_25nAHaHY%26p

and The Best of Cream double vinyl

th?id=OIP.AA5RCgOcvsn0RaQ0xuYnUgHaHH%26p

both courtesy of my mum.

This is almost definitely why 'White Room' was the first song my school band ever learned and played live. And of the 3, the Cream one will still get played today. It's also the album that made me fascinated with Ginger Baker, who, alongside Animal from the muppets, made me want to be a drummer. I suppose, in hindsight, it might be the most influential album in terms of my amateur music career.

7"s and 12"s were a very different beast, but again access was probably the most defining factor. Whether buying Flash by Queen and Hole in my shoe by Neil at the school fete or my bro winning Walking in the sunshine by Bad Manners at a fun fair in Pelsall were the 'first' ever 7"s is probably up for debate due to my now hazy recollection, but the BBC single of the theme from Monkey was easily the most played thing we owned (Now the a-side is sadly so scratched it's unplayable - but Gandara on the b-side works just fine). The first 12" I remember was going into a record shop on Brownhills high street with my mum so she could get her copy of Blue Monday. We played all of those all the time.

Until I got my paper round and therefore my own spending money and started trawling the reduced section in Woolworths as often as I could and starting to build my own collection, and until as I said earlier the sounds of the Mondays and Roses and Soungarden and Nirvana and Pearl Jam start turning me into me, the above music probably had an amazingly formative effect on my tastes.

• Like 2

I suppose I'm also missing out my step uncle and his robotics dancing in Taunton town centre phase, which turned me and my brother onto Depeche Mode via Construction Time Again, which now I think about it we pleaded with our mum to play the tape we had taped off him in her car everywhere we went.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

That's an enemy not a friend :D 

I'll be totally honest bicks you made me lose my bet with myself! I thought you'd say it was tantamount to child abuse :D

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I'll be totally honest bicks you made me lose my bet with myself! I thought you'd say it was tantamount to child abuse :D

I thought that was obvious :P 

Not sure I’m the first to ever mention this, but…

Go on YouTube and play the first thirty seconds of 10538 Overture by Electric Light Orchestra.

Then play the first thirty seconds of Changing Man by Paul Weller.

I wonder if Jeff Lynne sued?

Edited by rjw63
Stupid wankpot keypad
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not sure I’m the first to ever mention this, but…

Go on YouTube and play the first thirty seconds of 10538 Overture by Electric Light Orchestra.

Then play the first thirty seconds of Changing Man by Paul Weller.

I wonder if Jeff Lynne sued?

Well known and it's just one of many many tunes Weller stole

Start by the Jam and Taxman by The Beatles, shows he started his rip offs well early in his career

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I don’t think Weller is at all shy about his influences, he’s never denied it or anything, I don’t think he’d feel ‘found out’ if someone challenged him. I think he’d probably just name some more we hadn’t spotted.

‘Value for money’ is a weird concept in music, in that you have to bloody like something or there’s zero value, and if you want it, you want it.

But I’ve spent just over £30 today and come away with two new release albums and a gig ticket.

On 30/08/2024 at 11:38, bickster said:

Well known and it's just one of many many tunes Weller stole

Start by the Jam and Taxman by The Beatles, shows he started his rip offs well early in his career

Funny that Weller then had such an influence on Noel Gallagher....

Or that Harrison also lost lawsuits for stealing 

But it does also remind me that I've still never gone and found the RS song that the verve nicked for BSS

42 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Funny that Weller then had such an influence on Noel Gallagher....

Or that Harrison also lost lawsuits for stealing 

But it does also remind me that I've still never gone and found the RS song that the verve nicked for BSS

It’s not a RS song as such, it’s a RS song recorded by their manager Andrew Loog Oldham with an Orchestra - The Last Time. It’s the strings bit they sampled

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â