VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

There’s this one bloke, let’s call him Beach Boy Rob…

I'm sure @rjw63 will correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that he's more into the collection/completion aspect than trying to detect subtle differences in sound via top-end audio systems. 

28 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

(Referring to the Steve Hoffman forums). 

Classic example in the current SHF Joni Mitchell thread: 

This sort of thing baffles me. 

My history with the same album reads: 

Had the original vinyl. 

Got the first CD release, got rid of the vinyl. 

Got the remastered CD in the nicely packaged box set. Got rid of the old CD. 

The end. 

Yeah it’s bollocks. I’ve got cloth ears so it all sounds the same to me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Mostly, I'm I have this on vinyl or CD. 

The End

(there are a few exceptions)

Yeah, even I have a few examples of multiple versions of the same album.  But that is almost always because they have slightly different track listings, or a noticeably different mix. In a handful of cases I've kept the LP for 'sentimental' reasons (the 'playing copy' would be the CD). 

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm sure @rjw63 will correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that he's more into the collection/completion aspect than trying to detect subtle differences in sound via top-end audio systems. 

Mos Def

People complained about the the mixing on the Sail On Sailor boxset when it came out.

Sounded fine to me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, even I have a few examples of multiple versions of the same album.  But that is almost always because they have slightly different track listings, or a noticeably different mix. In a handful of cases I've kept the LP for 'sentimental' reasons (the 'playing copy' would be the CD). 

Depending on if it's an LP I really like, I will get multiple versions, eg: standard, promo, test pressing, and or various overseas releases.

Maybe. Sometimes.

😺

• Like 1

Today I learned that Glenn Danzig is approx 5'3". Do you think that's why he was always so mad, and a bit of a dick? 

I think I had an image in my mind that because he looked like a pretty buff dude in the 80s he was massive. 

7 minutes ago, hogso said:

Today I learned that Glenn Danzig is approx 5'3". Do you think that's why he was always so mad, and a bit of a dick? 

I think I had an image in my mind that because he looked like a pretty buff dude in the 80s he was massive. 

Yeah I've seen him live a few times and he's as wide as he is tall 😄

He is supposed to be a bit of a dick but i love The Misfits and most of his solo stuff so I can let a bit of rock star shit go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

He’s not much taller than the containers of cat litter he carries in that famous photo 🤣

The missus has worked out how the record player works… l'm a little uneasy with this.

It’s not what she plays as they are all my records… it’s the potential for damage and misfiling after use. I may have to lay ground rules.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

The missus has worked out how the record player works… l'm a little uneasy with this.

It’s not what she plays as they are all my records… it’s the potential for damage and misfiling after use. I may have to lay ground rules.

My record player is on a shelf high above the people that live in the house, the tallest of the people that isnt me is 5ft. No records get played by them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Misfiling is a dealbreaker 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My record player is on a shelf high above the people that live in the house, the tallest of the people that isnt me is 5ft. No records get played by them. 

It has only now occurred to me that in 42 years of marriage, I don't recall my wife ever playing an LP or CD. 

• Shocked 1

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It has only now occurred to me that in 42 years of marriage, I don't recall my wife ever playing an LP or CD. 

Tape in the car?

11 minutes ago, Xann said:

Tape in the car?

Nope. And she likes music, with some very definite favourites. She might suggest something, but it's always been me that's actually put it on. It seems to be 'my job'. 

Seeing the chatter in the Oasis thread, makes me remember the bands that had those big formative influences on me.

I guess the very first must have been Nazareth, but then quickly taken over by an obsession with The Jam. Then I guess after that, the bands were definitely favourite bands but not any longer in that obsessive early years way. I guess we got taken up in the two bands that could release a great album AND put on a great and regular gig, so it became Super Furry Animals and Alabama 3.

Not least with the last two because, whatever you think of Weller retrospectively, he said he’d wrap up the Jam in a few years and never reform, and he stuck to it. It would have been very easy to just think **** it, and cash in a tour once a decade.

I actually traded some vinyl with a dealer today, first time I’ve ever done that. I traded a load of stuff from the gifted haul from a couple of months ago. Dire Straits, The Police, Simply Red, Paul McCartney, Wings a Music For Pleasure Beatles album, Level 42, just a bunch of albums I'd never play. He offered me £60 for them as a trade, so I just took 3 albums and a 12” to that value in exchange. Good deal from my POV, cost me nowt. I even watched him sell at least 3 of them before I left the shop :D 

£60 was way more than I was expecting tbh given the reputations dealers have. I got a Mogwai soundtrack double album, a Cabaret Voltaire 12” (on Factory), A Mick Harvey album of re-interpretations of Serge Gainsbourg tunes and a brand new repress of a Cluster album.

When you’ve invested absolutely nothing in what your selling, can’t be a bad deal.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â