VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

4 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Jerry absolutely nails it here. The industry, his own “support system,” and his fans all failed Elvis by not having the imagination to offer him something better than Las Vegas, endless touring, & an early grave 🙄

Very true . Jerry himself got himself into a terrible state on several occasions. That famous interview he did in the 80s or 90s where he’s sat there chopping up a massive ball of coke and snorting it during the interview.  Weed , Acid , coke , then crack and heroin plus being overweight he was a dead man walking . 

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Very true . Jerry himself got himself into a terrible state on several occasions. That famous interview he did in the 80s or 90s where he’s sat there chopping up a massive ball of coke and snorting it during the interview.  Weed , Acid , coke , then crack and heroin plus being overweight he was a dead man walking . 

Indeed. Despite all the drugs, and it was a lot, Jerry’s even bigger issues were a lifetime of cigarettes and an absolutely heinous diet, mostly junk food and feeding a ravenous sweet tooth. He got really healthy, especially by his standards, from 87-90 when he discovered scuba diving and reasonably healthy living, but he backslid into the Persian (smoking heroin) hard in late 91/early 92 and from there it was a slow, inevitable decline.

Shows in 94/95 were tough to witness, the writing on the wall was clear as a bell. But they had too many people counting on them (they legendarily treated their employees so well that Fortune 500 companies studied them on it) to keep touring so they show kept going on and on and on. He always said the in the later years the drugs were really all about making the grind of the road tolerable.

Too bad they never got to do the residency thing that is now so popular. I have no doubt he would have had a handful of more years if they could have played in just once place at length. 

TL;DR- Jerry was worked to death 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

He sure as hell didn’t look his age when he died. Tough game on the road all the time I’d imagine even for a  band like the dead who were road warriors .

He aged so hard that last 4 years or so. It all caught up to him at once. And here I sit nearly 5.5 years older than he was at death yet looking at least 15 years younger than he did…at least in my opinion 😉

Due to the nature of the music I love  not being that popular, I snagged nearly 40 CDs of 90s country music for around 28 quid. That will be my listening for the next 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

IMG-0556.jpg

Watched this last night. Dude has led a life! Great story, should be interesting to most regardless of whether one likes Springsteen (and no doubt most of you here don’t). Story broken into at least four parts (I was a bit buzzed.): pre-Bruce Jersey with bands like Southside Johnny et al.; Bruce; Sun City/Disciples of Soul; and later years (Sopranos/Lillehammer/his satellite radio show). I loved it, found the Sun City part to be my favorite. Feels like a film that has something for just about anyone who is into music. The guy just oozes reverence for rock & roll. Seems smart as hell and his heart is in the right place. It’s just too bad he dresses like he does 🤣

• Like 1

A question for the reggae fans. I know that there’s always been an association with Ethiopia due to Rastafari and Rastafarianism and that comes through in a lot of the reggae songs reggae albums and in some cases the name of the artist. Does Ethiopia have its own reggae scene, does it have a scene that is not linked to Jamaica and the West Indies? 

49 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

A question for the reggae fans. I know that there’s always been an association with Ethiopia due to Rastafari and Rastafarianism and that comes through in a lot of the reggae songs reggae albums and in some cases the name of the artist. Does Ethiopia have its own reggae scene, does it have a scene that is not linked to Jamaica and the West Indies? 

Short answer, yes.

Slightly longer answer, yes it does but I think Ethiopia has had long periods of time where they’ve had quite a lot to deal with from famines and crushing poverty and war, so it stutters. Back about 10 years ago there was a bit of a scene. I recall lots of YouTube videos of dreadlocked white boys with sound systems out in the Ethiopian villages in awe of local talent.

I think Ethiopia had a decent music scene then at some point a few decades ago various governments sort of cracked down on anything that had a chance of being subversive or relaying unapproved messages.

• Thanks 1

I see Catfish and The Bottlemen have announced a couple of dates for next year. Spurs stadium and Cardiff Principality stadium. This month they play below a Gallagher at Reading/Leeds festival. How the hell are some tin pot indie band hoping to fill 2 stadiums? Pink, Beyonce, Billy Joel have played these places. 

On 07/08/2024 at 17:12, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Do you guys know (of) David Haslam?

Probably a stupid question 

Strange the way these things happen. Now Dave Haslam and I have a good number of mutual friends, we moved in similar circles back in the 80s and 90s albeit separated by 35 miles of the M62. I’m damn sure we've been in each others airspace a good number of times but doubt we've had much of a conversation. He would have been considerably more up the pecking order in any social pyramid than me… Even when he was a band I worked for's label boss at Play Hard.

Yet yesterday I posted something on threads and now he's following me and interacting with my posts :D

On 19/08/2024 at 10:21, Seat68 said:

I see Catfish and The Bottlemen have announced a couple of dates for next year. Spurs stadium and Cardiff Principality stadium. This month they play below a Gallagher at Reading/Leeds festival. How the hell are some tin pot indie band hoping to fill 2 stadiums? Pink, Beyonce, Billy Joel have played these places. 

Things happen quickly in the world of popular music. This is like when I thought Ed Sheeran was starting to do pretty well, probably headlining the acoustic tent at Glasto, and soon to be ready to get onto a mid-billing on a bigger stage. Then I found out he was selling out five nights at Wembley Stadium. Gobsmacked. 

Catfish probably have a massive following from a generation that has barely heard of Pink or Billy Joel. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2024 at 11:21, Seat68 said:

Because there is no one else...

Same as why Liam Gallagher is still headlining reading

Gerry Cinnamon is also top of the bill, same as catfish, if these bands came out in the mid 00s their careers would go the same way as the likes of the bravery 

Edit - that said I do think R&L will regret not putting fontaines DC as a headliner or at least 2nd on the bill / headline the other stage, album out this weekend and I'd expect it to get hugely positive reviews and make a lot of noise 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Things happen quickly in the world of popular music. This is like when I thought Ed Sheeran was starting to do pretty well, probably headlining the acoustic tent at Glasto, and soon to be ready to get onto a mid-billing on a bigger stage. Then I found out he was selling out five nights at Wembley Stadium. Gobsmacked. 

Catfish probably have a massive following from a generation that has barely heard of Pink or Billy Joel. 

I wish I had never heard/heard of Billy Joel 😉

16 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I wish I had never heard/heard of Billy Joel 😉

I think this is the Boston thing all over again - I suspect BJ (KW...) gets far more radio overkill in the US than he does here. Can't say I'm much of a fan, but he did a few things (as with Boston) that I don't mind hearing once a year or so. 

• Like 1

@bickster - Red Rum Club, I'm a music man all day every day, I'm a data man all day every day, I literally look at algorithms for fun (yes I know)

I understand 99% of the suggestions on Spotify and that, but this week I had Red Rum Club recommended to me.

Jesus Christ they're horrendous. I've never known a suggestion so poor. Have they spent millions on marketing recently? Absolute pish.

39 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think this is the Boston thing all over again - I suspect BJ (KW...) gets far more radio overkill in the US than he does here. Can't say I'm much of a fan, but he did a few things (as with Boston) that I don't mind hearing once a year or so. 

I don’t know, I believe I’d feel the same about his music whether I heard it once or a thousand times. Hard to pinpoint just precisely what it is about him that does me wrong. I find there to be a level of cheesiness to his stuff that I just can’t get past.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, T-Dog said:

@bickster - Red Rum Club, I'm a music man all day every day, I'm a data man all day every day, I literally look at algorithms for fun (yes I know)

I understand 99% of the suggestions on Spotify and that, but this week I had Red Rum Club recommended to me.

Jesus Christ they're horrendous. I've never known a suggestion so poor. Have they spent millions on marketing recently? Absolute pish.

Yep, absolute gubbins, awful band. Not aware of any new pots of cash. Massive in Liverpool and nowhere else. They can sell out 2k capacity venues here, three men and a dog elsewhere

On 11/08/2024 at 11:20, Rugeley Villa said:

Music forums among one or two other things. A lot of audiophiles on there . Good stuff though. 

(Referring to the Steve Hoffman forums). 

Classic example in the current SHF Joni Mitchell thread: 

I had the original early pressing on CD and then the remastered one before this current one. I've also had an original vinyl and the vinyl redone a few years ago, and also vinyl and CD of her Love Has Many Faces boxset which feature some of these tracks...and I know the material like the back of my hand. the New CD is super nice and definitely my fave cd of the three I have had. was curious to hear the MFSL SACD but I think that got cancelled? or delayed forever.

curious to get this on the new vinyl pressing at some point as well. one can't have enough of Hejira

This sort of thing baffles me. 

My history with the same album reads: 

Had the original vinyl. 

Got the first CD release, got rid of the vinyl. 

Got the remastered CD in the nicely packaged box set. Got rid of the old CD. 

The end. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

(Referring to the Steve Hoffman forums). 

Classic example in the current SHF Joni Mitchell thread: 

This sort of thing baffles me. 

My history with the same album reads: 

Had the original vinyl. 

Got the first CD release, got rid of the vinyl. 

Got the remastered CD in the nicely packaged box set. Got rid of the old CD. 

The end. 

Mostly, I'm I have this on vinyl or CD. 

The End

(there are a few exceptions)

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â