VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

One for the drummers and sabbath fans. Not saying bill was the best but he had his own way of playing and I love his style. 

I'm not the biggest Sabbath fan, but BW is a great drummer. You can hear the jazz influences. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I'm not the biggest Sabbath fan, but BW is a great drummer. You can hear the jazz influences. 

Great bloke too . A lot of musicians from that era were very well educated in terms of music with what came before them. Just naturals. I like drummers that bring those jazz elements to a band.  Unfortunately for bill he lost his edge in the 80s and beyond. Addictions issues made him homeless and begging on the streets of LA. He turned his life around but never kept himself fit and heart problems followed. He’s been sober since the mid 80s mind.  

Any used record shop will give you a decent copy of this for under a tenner. Discogs has them for £10 including postage. I paid £6 for an as new perfect copy.

HMV:

spacer.png

• Like 3

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Any used record shop will give you a decent copy of this for under a tenner. Discogs has them for £10 including postage. I paid £6 for an as new perfect copy.

HMV:

It's ONLY £29.99 at the Indie HMV

… and that’s still at least £10 too much for a back catalogue repress of an album made 50 years ago. The costs apart from the physical materials are vastly reduced.

Remember back in the distant past, you used to be able to buy cheaper back catalogue albums in ranges like Nice Price, that’s the way it should be now. My copy of Marquee Moon still has the Nice Price sticker on it and it wasn’t that many years after it was originally released. Sure, it’s quite a thin record but all that audiophile 180g pressing nonsense is a con. My copy of Marquee Moon must be 40+ years old now and still sounds absolutely great. Most people don’t have the ears or the equipment to notice any discernible difference between a normal record and an audiophile pressing. Most of those that claim they can are just pretentious lying knobs.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

… and that’s still at least £10 too much for a back catalogue repress of an album made 50 years ago. The costs apart from the physical materials are vastly reduced.

Remember back in the distant past, you used to be able to buy cheaper back catalogue albums in ranges like Nice Price, that’s the way it should be now. My copy of Marquee Moon still has the Nice Price sticker on it and it wasn’t that many years after it was originally released. Sure, it’s quite a thin record but all that audiophile 180g pressing nonsense is a con. My copy of Marquee Moon must be 40+ years old now and still sounds absolutely great. Most people don’t have the ears or the equipment to notice any discernible difference between a normal record and an audiophile pressing. Most of those that claim they can are just pretentious lying knobs.

Take it you aren’t a member of Steve Hoffman forums ?

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Take it you aren’t a member of Steve Hoffman forums ?

I am, but the only thread I'm following is the one for the Joni Mitchell archives. 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

One of the eBay shops I follow regularly has used hifi equipment priced in the thousands, and I don’t mean a hifi set up, I mean a cartridge, or some cables. I think that’s just a whole different hobby that feeds in to this whole audiophile thing. Personally, I like records, if I had good ears and an interest in perfection I’d surely be going digital and building an acoustic listening room.

But I’ve got tinnitus and solid bouncy walls and a giant dining table in the room and I’m listening to records that were recorded whilst someone chatted in the background. So yeah, I’ll happily pick up the Nice Price version.

That was basically the conversation in Spillers yesterday when I returned records I said were fine to be sold. The question was, as someone of a certain age that buys vinyl, was I happy with the quality of those records or would I have returned them if I hadn’t been warned. They were absolutely fine and anybody not cleaning a record and then expecting perfection is just that pretentious dim knob.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I am, but the only thread I'm following is the one for the Joni Mitchell archives. 

It’s a decent forum but full of those twits Bicks doesn’t like 🙂  some very good info on there if needed. 

• Like 1

Well that’s pissed on my chips. Marquee Moon is currently £15.99 in HMV (£26 in Norman on coloured vinyl and £28 on clear in RT)

Previous price in HMV £35 (it’s currently in a sale)

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Music forums among one or two other things. A lot of audiophiles on there . Good stuff though. 

Sounds like something I'd hate. Audiophile rocket polishing isn’t something I’d want to engage with

46 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Today I learned that the debut self titled album by Boston isn't a spaceship on the cover, its an upside down guitar. 

Well, a guitar-shaped spaceship. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Today I learned that the debut self titled album by Boston isn't a spaceship on the cover, its an upside down guitar. 

You really are branching out into the rock world 

22 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I thought my music taste was wide and varied. Clearly its not coming across as that. 

33 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Would you call Boston Rock? Or Muzak for Poodle Parlours? 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â