VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

a great new service from Rough Trade

If you have a mint copy of Dark Days gatefold double vinyl original pressing by Super Furry Animals, youu can now sell it to Flipvinyl by Rough Trade, and you my friend will have money in the bank. To be precise, 8p

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

a great new service from Rough Trade

If you have a mint copy of Dark Days gatefold double vinyl original pressing by Super Furry Animals, youu can now sell it to Flipvinyl by Rough Trade, and you my friend will have money in the bank. To be precise, 8p

I'd rather take them to the tip to be honest (obv a charity shop really)

Now we have one of these parasite shops in town I went in and looked at their 2nd hand section. Overfrigginpriced isn’t an exaggeration. I'm checking the prices on Discogs App as I go. If they are paying low too they are making an absolute killing on S/H.

Records I own and know the rough price and are in much better condition than their item were being charged at prices that quite frankly were embarrassing. If I was selling my copy on Discogs I'd be embarrassed to charge that much. Copies with covers I’d grade at G+ at best and they are charging median Discogs price plus about 30-40%

I prefer HMV and I bloody hate HMV

• Like 1

For some reason ITV is on and they are covering horse racing from Goodwood. Not my thing but as the female presenter is introducing the show and walking down the course, they are playing some music…

She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult

It’s just utterly bizarre. It must be one of the most inappropriate pieces of background music in a TV programme I’ve ever heard :D 

And it wasn’t just an instrumental bit, full on Astbury singing.

Are Goths secretly into horse racing?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Gonna keep my mouth shut 🤐

From the maker of Walk The Line is not a positive in my view. Nowhere near as bad as I saw the light but as music biopics go it was poor. Those with more than a fleeting knowledge of Dylan may have the same issue with this. 

• Like 1

Oh if we’re talking about music biopics, I watched that Bob Marley one the other day…

I was interrupted and just didn’t go back to watch the rest.

27 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

From the maker of Walk The Line is not a positive in my view. Nowhere near as bad as I saw the light but as music biopics go it was poor. Those with more than a fleeting knowledge of Dylan may have the same issue with this. 

I have only a fleeting knowledge of Johnny Cash, and I enjoyed Walk The Line, while assuming it was probably quite inaccurate. 

The Dylan community seems to be so far keeping its powder dry on the basis of this trailer. Generally positive reaction to TC's performance, while the nitpickers are focusing on stuff like: "But he arrived in NYC with a SUITCASE! NOT a rucksack!" 

Dylan himself is involved, and I suspect he may get up to his usual tricks in manipulating the facts - especially with regard to Joan Baez and (the apparently fictionalised) Suze Rotolo. But that's par for the course for both Hollywood and the man himself. 

I await it with interest. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I have only a fleeting knowledge of Johnny Cash, and I enjoyed Walk The Line, while assuming it was probably quite inaccurate. 

The Dylan community seems to be so far keeping its powder dry on the basis of this trailer. Generally positive reaction to TC's performance, while the nitpickers are focusing on stuff like: "But he arrived in NYC with a SUITCASE! NOT a rucksack!" 

Dylan himself is involved, and I suspect he may get up to his usual tricks in manipulating the facts - especially with regard to Joan Baez and (the apparently fictionalised) Suze Rotolo. But that's par for the course for both Hollywood and the man himself. 

I await it with interest. 

I was a nitpicker Mike and I couldn’t get past it unfortunately. I will watch the Dylan film mainly due to only having the briefest of knowledge about him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I was a nitpicker Mike and I couldn’t get past it unfortunately. I will watch the Dylan film mainly due to only having the briefest of knowledge about him. 

I am a massive nitpicker and know a ton about Dylan-who I will be seeing in about 9 hours- and I suspect I will have extreme difficulty in suspending my disbelief. Same with the coming Springsteen film about the making of Nebraska starring the guy from The Bear

17 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

If I only had a $ for every time I have heard some variation of that 🤣

Nah you’d just waste it on bootlegs :crylaugh: 

So the White Stripes album has had a good few plays and it’s time to stick it on the rack…

spacer.png

its hooj!

that’s no exaggeration for drama, that is how it sits in the rack!

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So the White Stripes album has had a good few plays and it’s time to stick it on the rack…

spacer.png

its hooj!

that’s no exaggeration for drama, that is how it sits in the rack!

Studio One Dub Fire Special is filed wrong, should be with the orange stuff to the left :D 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, bickster said:

Studio One Dub Fire Special is filed wrong, should be with the orange stuff to the left :D 

Art, not science.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/08/2024 at 07:17, bickster said:

Briefly whistles and runs away

I heard Sugar Magnolia or one of their more popular numbers in a bicycle repair shops recently. All the very, very relaxed repair guys seemed to be enjoying that Dead in there often, and it sounded kind of good to me -- somehow in the context of a bike shop, it worked. Then the main Deadhead got fired, and they started playing metal afterwards, and I stopped going to that shop. They were a lot more uptight. Didn't like the feel of the place. I guess the Dead are like a vibe more than songcrafters, but they seem sweet to me and all about good times -- until you get fired, I suppose?

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â