VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

I see razorlight are on their way back with the original line up

They're one of them bands (maybe one of the biggest from the time) that were ok, middle of the pack, couple of decent songs but nothing special about them and they got the push whereas others didn't, not sure if it was borrel or what but they didn't deserve it, punched way above their weight 

Modest mouse, go team, arcade fire even the zutons and the futureheads all better albums in 04 but it'll be the year of razorlight and the killers and Franz Ferdinand (maybe a bit harsh on FF)

And seeing as I had to Google what came out in 2004...

20 years on from a grand don't come for free, what an album 

Did see Kanos Instagram during Glastonbury streets set and thanking him for the tour around that album starting so much for him, I do at times wonder just how influential that album and the streets in general are 

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I see razorlight are on their way back with the original line up

They're one of them bands (maybe one of the biggest from the time) that were ok, middle of the pack, couple of decent songs but nothing special about them and they got the push whereas others didn't, not sure if it was borrel or what but they didn't deserve it, punched way above their weight 

Modest mouse, go team, arcade fire even the zutons and the futureheads all better albums in 04 but it'll be the year of razorlight and the killers and Franz Ferdinand (maybe a bit harsh on FF)

Didn’t take long for me to start calling them Razorshite, encapsulated everything that was wrong with landfill indie

So many better albums in 2004, some you’ve mentioned but also, Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum, Nick Cave - Lyre of Orpheus / Abatoir Blues, Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse, The Killers - Hot Fuss, PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her, Interpol - Antics, hell even the pariah Morrissey released his best solo album - You are the Quarry. There’s others that aren’t really my cup of tea by the likes of Green Day, Keane that are still better than Razorshite.

Yeah I wasn’t a fan :D 

• Like 4

On 28/07/2024 at 10:13, bickster said:

Didn’t take long for me to start calling them Razorshite, encapsulated everything that was wrong with landfill indie

So many better albums in 2004, some you’ve mentioned but also, Mark Lanegan - Bubblegum, Nick Cave - Lyre of Orpheus / Abatoir Blues, Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse, The Killers - Hot Fuss, PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her, Interpol - Antics, hell even the pariah Morrissey released his best solo album - You are the Quarry. There’s others that aren’t really my cup of tea by the likes of Green Day, Keane that are still better than Razorshite.

Yeah I wasn’t a fan :D 

Agreed, they had a frontman that was completely unlikeable, weak as the urine of a 2 year old and still they were unfathomably popular. My overriding memory of them, the only memory of them was they were playing on stage at Reading Festival when I called the estate agent and was told that an offer had been put in on my house. Literally nothing else. The worst of all of those shit bands.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2024 at 16:37, Seat68 said:

No prizes for this but guess the station I have on whilst eating my tea. 

However my opinion on Razorshite should be tempered by this.

I think if it wasn’t for the relative success of “America”, which I still hear from time to time, they’d have been more or less forgotten. Basically the mainstream success of that song kept them from being, I don’t know…Hard-Fi.

I also found Borrell to be weirdly unlikeable. Can’t really recall why. That interview he did looking back at landfill indie was enjoyable though, to be fair.

On 30/07/2024 at 10:08, Seat68 said:

The worst of all of those shit bands.

Oh-ho-ho, challenge very much accepted.

Actually **** it, there's a perfectly reasonable answer only one post up.  Hard-Fi *shudder*.

And that's before we even get into the realms of The Ordinary Boys, The View, The Kooks (the rule of any band name that's "The [insert word]s" is shite is fairly consistent for this era), The Spinto Band, The Fratellis, The Dead 60's, The Departure, Rumble Strips...

2004 itself is not beyond redemption; the 65daysofstatic, YOURCODENAMEIS:MILO, Idiot Pilot, Reuben and Hope Of The States debuts all dropped in 2004.  Crimes by The Blood Brothers, as well, and if memory serves the second Bark Psychosis album.  Good, good shit.

• Like 1

One for the wondering chat but will post it here.

Just a general musing about No Woman No Cry. Is it fair to say that’s the definitive most-people-are-really-only-familiar-with-the-live-version song?

I don’t think I’ve ever heard the studio version “in the wild” as it were.

Another live recording that I think might be more ubiquitous than the studio version is Frampton’s Show Me the Way. 

But Bob at the Lyceum Theatre is the number one for this vaguely niche musing of mine, right?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Just a general musing about No Woman No Cry. Is it fair to say that’s the definitive most-people-are-really-only-familiar-with-the-live-version song?

Another live recording that I think might be more ubiquitous than the studio version is Frampton’s Show Me the Way. 

But Bob at the Lyceum Theatre is the number one for this vaguely niche musing of mine, right?

MC5 Kick Out The Jams springs to mind straight away for me, not only is it the better known version but its been sampled a number of times especially by the KLF (twice to my knowledge)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

On the road again by Willie Nelson, the live version is the one that is always played, from the film Honeysuckle Rose. I see a studio version exists but I can't locate where from or the year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I think I've heard the studio 'No Woman' once, and it sounded odd, just because it wasn't the familiar (live) version. And you're also right about the Frampton. Both acts' biggest hit albums were the live ones. 

I'm trying to think of another example. Maybe Dr Feelgood, with the 'Stupidity' live album? 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

Legend has the live version, Natty dread has the studio version, Mooney is right the vast majority of people will pick up legend 

Bicks is right too there's a fair few JC songs that in my mind are live songs, FPB, boy named sue, SQ

Not for most on here but I think only the live recording of Noel Gallagher dead in the water exists 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

I think I've heard the studio 'No Woman' once, and it sounded odd, just because it wasn't the familiar (live) version. And you're also right about the Frampton. Both acts' biggest hit albums were the live ones. 

I'm trying to think of another example. Maybe Dr Feelgood, with the 'Stupidity' live album? 

I think you’re on the right lines with the success of their respective live albums being a factor. In my mind Thin Lizzy’s version of “Rosalie” is the live recording as opposed to the studio version which ties in with the relative success of “Live and Dangerous”.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â