VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Oh look, one of the biggest selling vinyl albums in the world ever and its on light blue vinyl, I must rush out :D 

You can even find very good copies of original 1977 presses well under a tenner, hell you might even find one in a charity shop

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh look, one of the biggest selling vinyl albums in the world ever and its on light blue vinyl, I must rush out :D 

You can even find very good copies of original 1977 presses well under a tenner, hell you might even find one in a charity shop

I've never heard it. My parents always told me not to listen to Rumours.

• Haha 2

Hey, why did Brian Jones stop "fitting in" with the Stones? Was it more his personality or his drug use or his style of music? I can never really resolve this in my mind, and for some reason, the question keeps calling.

spacer.png

Went and watched a Fleetwood Mac tribute band a few months back in Stratford. They were very very good.  I know you’ll have the people who like the Peter Green stuff , but that Rumours lineup were fire . Fantastic music. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Hey, why did Brian Jones stop "fitting in" with the Stones? Was it more his personality or his drug use or his style of music? I can never really resolve this in my mind, and for some reason, the question keeps calling.

spacer.png

Wasn’t part of it he want to be “the main guy” and it just wasn’t going to happen? Maybe I’m boiling down Keith’s autobiography on the subject there somewhat but I kinda came away with a sense there was a little bit of a would be power struggle, one in which Mick/Keith/“the management” weren’t going to lose.

If that is the case he could have adopted a similar approach to what Ian Stewart did.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Wasn’t part of it he want to be “the main guy” and it just wasn’t going to happen?

It's strange because he seems so much associated with the early Stones image. I guess I also had this idea he did more than actually did? I can't think of any Stones song I know that;s a "Brian Jones" song but how could there not be?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's strange because he seems so much associated with the early Stones image. I guess I also had this idea he did more than actually did? I can't think of any Stones song I know that;s a "Brian Jones" song but how could there not be?

He wasn't really a writer. None of them were, at the beginning. They were strictly a covers band, with Brian - as the walking encyclopaedia of American blues music, the de facto musical director. 

But then along came The Beatles, writing their own material, and the Stones' management told them they needed to come up with some original songs. Jagger and Richards agreed to have a go, and soon established themselves as their own version of Lennon and McCartney. Jones couldn't, or wouldn't, write - possibly because he was too busy sampling the sexual and pharmaceutical benefits - and the ego-massaging - that came with celebrity. 

Before long, they'd left the purist r&b policy behind. His blues database no longer required, Brian made himself useful to the new swinging pop Stones by mastering a variety of exotic instruments - harpsichord, dulcimer, recorder, sitar, etc., and ramped up the hedonism - while Mick'n'Keef morphed into hardnosed breadheads, and decisively took control of the band. 

By the time of Beggars Banquet, Brian was surplus to requirements, and mostly off his head. By bye, Brian. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

He wasn't really a writer. None of them were, at the beginning. They were strictly a covers band, with Brian - as the walking encyclopaedia of American blues music, the de facto musical director. 

But then along came The Beatles, writing their own material, and the Stones' management told them they needed to come up with some original songs. Jagger and Richards agreed to have a go, and soon established themselves as their own version of Lennon and McCartney. Jones couldn't, or wouldn't, write - possibly because he was too busy sampling the sexual and pharmaceutical benefits - and the ego-massaging - that came with celebrity. 

Before long, they'd left the purist r&b policy behind. His blues database no longer required, Brian made himself useful to the new swinging pop Stones by mastering a variety of exotic instruments - harpsichord, dulcimer, recorder, sitar, etc., and ramped up the hedonism - while Mick'n'Keef morphed into hardnosed breadheads, and decisively took control of the band. 

By the time of Beggars Banquet, Brian was surplus to requirements, and mostly off his head. By bye, Brian. 

What a great summary. It makes me realise how Spinal Tap weaved in some of the themes of Brian Jones and the Stones, too, perhaps even unconsciously. I think part of what has made him so inscrutable to me is that his actual personality seems so hidden behind the image and drugs and sitars, etc.

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

For no real reason other than topicality I thought I’d share this photo from my local vendor.

They post pictures of stock refreshes and new lines in.

spacer.png

a chunky looking Grateful Dead cd box

That GD is not an official release, so in this case it is actually a bootleg 🤣 this was Keith Godchaux‘s first show with that band 

Dave Alvin & Jimmie Dale Gilmore: seeing them here next Wednesday 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This, plus Keith & Mick did everything they could to marginalize him once their writing prowess gave them massive leverage. They systematically pushed him to the fringe and he wasn’t up to fighting back. I absolutely love the Stones but even the most diehard can’t defend how they treated Brian, whose hands weren’t clean themselves. As they say, it was complicated 

• Like 1

...and then got Mick Taylor in to replace him and then drove him away by refusing to give him any credit for his significant contributions to a lot of songs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

...and then got Mick Taylor in to replace him and then drove him away by refusing to give him any credit for his significant contributions to a lot of songs.

Him being addicted to smack was also a significant factor. Over the years he’s often said he would have died had he not left the band 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, il_serpente said:

It's interesting. I reading stuff from Stones that makes it sound like he was almost talent-less apart from his remarkable musicianship and not very nice often. I do feel like that Jones seemed to have been somehow canonised or defended (?) more in North American than in England. In responses such as @mjmooney to this question, which sounds very close to what the band itself says, there's a harder edge, whereas Jones seems a bit more of an object of pathos and veneration across the Atlantic? I think that division in perspectives, if one could call it that, is part of what makes it hard for me to grasp what he was all about.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

6 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I like the singles off the first two killers albums. I like them insofar that I won’t switch them off if they come on the radio.

I think Mr B’s success is in part because the verse is probably equally as catchy as the chorus. Blokey singalong pub tune. 

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The Killers is a really old song?

...Where has my life gone

Funnily enough, a few weeks back I was chatting music to a lad at work - we've been to a few pub gigs together - cover bands etc. Mr Brightside is usually the most modern song played. Generally its 60s to 90s, with the prime Britpop period being the latest. 

We got discussing what songs from the last 20 years, Mr Brightside apart, would you class a good pub singalong song? We didn't come up with many. Maybe Sex on Fire, and Seven Nation Army?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

We got discussing what songs from the last 20 years, Mr Brightside apart, would you class a good pub singalong song? We didn't come up with many. Maybe Sex on Fire, and Seven Nation Army?

Was in a bar a couple of weeks ago, a song came on and the under thirties were off.

Don't have a Scooby what it was?

It wasn't an obvious banger so I'm ignorant it's relevance, but you've reminded me to ask others that were there.

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Funnily enough, a few weeks back I was chatting music to a lad at work - we've been to a few pub gigs together - cover bands etc. Mr Brightside is usually the most modern song played. Generally its 60s to 90s, with the prime Britpop period being the latest. 

If the idea is there is a bar full of drunk blokes whom you need to get drunkenly singing/moving based on your selection on the jukebox…from the past twenty years -

Along with those you’ve listed, I’ll add Chelsea Dagger, Monster (what’s that coming over the hill), Ruby, and if I can creep past the 20 year mark, Buck Rogers probably fills that criteria too.

There’s probably one or two others I’m forgetting. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

If the idea is there is a bar full of drunk blokes whom you need to get drunkenly singing/moving based on your selection on the jukebox…from the past twenty years -

Along with those you’ve listed, I’ll add Chelsea Dagger, Monster (what’s that coming over the hill), Ruby, and if I can creep past the 20 year mark, Buck Rogers probably fills that criteria too.

There’s probably one or two others I’m forgetting. 

Good choices. I was thinking Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand as a possibility

Perhaps some of the Artcic Monkeys songs as well...

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

They really wont rest as a nation until they have delivered techno through every conceivable avenue.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â