VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Posted (edited)

IMG-0096.webp

IMG-0095.jpg

IMG-0098.webp

37 years ago today I saw the first show of the 6-show Dylan & Dead tour. I was 21 and my two favorite artists finally teaming up had me sky high! Expectations could not have been any higher: the Dead’s reverence for Dylan was legendary; the band was riding an all-time wave of popularity, with their then-new album In the Dark being a massive hit; and their form was incredible following Garcia’s coma of the previous year and his subsequent return to what was for him excellent health. There were also a ton of rumors of things (acoustic set, Dylan songs that had never been played on stage, crazy covers) from tour rehearsals that spiked expectations even further. The boys had stated they were 100% game for whatever Dylan wanted to do & were set to deliver history. What could go wrong?

The Dead came out first and played a two-hour set that was superb and really set the table for what was to come next. The anticipation was insane during the break. It was hot as hell and the crowd of 75,000+ was as jacked up & ready as could be. Then they come out and Dylan basically sabotaged the whole thing. 🙄 He later admitted to changing the key of nearly every song midstream from what had been rehearsed. At the time I recall thinking he was showing that he was the boss, no matter how big they were. It was not awful, to say the least, but at the time it seemed like a major opportunity was squandered. The band tried their damnedest to spin gold but Dylan just wouldn’t do his part. It was clear at the show and later from video that the band was looking at each other nearly every song with expressions that said “WTF is Dylan doing?” In time I have come to appreciate the show/tour more but after nearly 4 decades still left with a major case of what might have been 

In his book Dylan wrote that his legendary epiphany occurred just months after this tour (on the fall tour of Europe with Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers) and it lead him to realize how he was wasting his talent and it made him recommit to performing. I just wish said epiphany had been months earlier than this tour 🙄

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yep. Still **** Tory Lytham

Embrace it, you’re one of those quirky niche places now where tourists google up the info on their way in to town and declare ‘oh wow look, they’ve still got a tory, and a goat cheese festival that dates back to Elizabethan Truss days’.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Yep. Still **** Tory Lytham

My daughters were at the festival on Thursday (mainly to see Hozier). 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

Never understood their appeal if I'm honest

Oh, is he a 'they'? 

Been revisiting Little Simz since seeing her Glastonbury set on TV. She is brilliant - one of the most talented British artists out there at the moment

IMG_0490.jpeg

• Haha 1

What? Did you used to think your mum just made up folk singers so you’d go to bed?

Oh they are very real my friend. They’ve suffered for their music, and now it’s your turn.

• Haha 1

Shame that we never really got to hear a Fripp/Wetton/Collins album of any sort. They had some interesting sounding rehearsals during Fripp's Exposure sessions.

• Like 2

The lightning seeds are playing a few hundred yards away. Sounds pretty good, but they’re tempting fate playing “Football’s coming home”, just as England are about to kick off. Cracking scheduling though, and they sound like the best that’s been on so far this week.

…And they’ve got the togger on the screens at the sides of the stage and the commentary on the PA. so much for watching it a bit later, not knowing the score…the commentary is louder than the bands.

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

What? Did you used to think your mum just made up folk singers so you’d go to bed?

Oh they are very real my friend. They’ve suffered for their music, and now it’s your turn.

The stamps, mate, the stamps 

I stepped into that one. You lot are as relentless as you are predictable 🤣

• Like 1

Whats the consensus on Keane @Seat68? I recall they were seen as a bit bland, but I've grown to like their music as i've got older. I think he has a great voice. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â