VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Finishing pints at Magnolia Brewing on Haight St. in San Francisco and about to walk down the street to legendary Amoeba Records, one of the finest record stores in all of the land. I’ll be thinking of you lads 🍻

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

Among my friends I've always had the reputation of being The Music Nerd. Y'know, has a big record collection, goes to a lot of gigs, is a walking encyclopaedia of music trivia, etc. And it's true that music (along with books) is as essential to my life as food and drink. 

But I've realised that, compared to some, I'm a complete lightweight. I've got friends (of my age) who go to two or three gigs a week, week in week out. Like the couple who couldn't understand why I didn't want to go to Ireland to stand in the rain to watch Bruce Springsteen. I like Springsteen, but my view is that I saw him in 2013, really enjoyed it, and... that was enough. I go to maybe one local gig a month (or less), almost always for mates who play in local bands. I buy about four or five albums a year - some friends are still buying that many every week. 

I feel almost guilty about it. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Among my friends I've always had the reputation of being The Music Nerd. Y'know, has a big record collection, goes to a lot of gigs, is a walking encyclopaedia of music trivia, etc. And it's true that music (along with books) is as essential to my life as food and drink. 

But I've realised that, compared to some, I'm a complete lightweight. I've got friends (of my age) who go to two or three gigs a week, week in week out. Like the couple who couldn't understand why I didn't want to go to Ireland to stand in the rain to watch Bruce Springsteen. I like Springsteen, but my view is that I saw him in 2013, really enjoyed it, and... that was enough. I go to maybe one local gig a month (or less), almost always for mates who play in local bands. I buy about four or five albums a year - some friends are still buying that many every week. 

Music as a competitive sport is a real thing. First question will almost always be ‘how many records you got?’.

It’s your hobby for your pleasure, do it your way.

People come to my house expecting to see wall to wall records and speakers from a Notting Hill sound system. They leave bemused.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

obi strips are an inconvenience serving no good porpoise

Yup pain in the arse Japanese nonsense

• Like 2

On 27/06/2024 at 01:39, mjmooney said:

Don’t. There will always be someone above and someone below you on whatever scale it is. For example, went to see one of my favorite bands, Drive by Truckers, twice last week in San Francisco. They have a hardcore, devoted fanbase and people travel to see them frequently. A lot of people I know from the DBT community came from all over the 🇺🇸 for these shows, as The Fillmore has a special spot with the band and fans, plus San Francisco is a great place to be in the summer. So I’ve probably seen them close to 50 times over nearly 20 years of seeing them. That’s a lot, generally speaking, but just among my close friends I know a lot of people who have seen them well over 100 times (can say the same for friends in fan base of Wilco, Neil Young, et al.). Does that make me a lightweight? I don’t really care if it does, but since we’re having this discussion I don’t think it does. I do me and others can do as they do. Bottom line, it’s not something I waste time thinking about. That all made sense to my COVID-addled brain, hope it does to y’all as well 😉

I haven’t known you long, but I served with lightweights. I knew lightweights. Lightweights were friends of mine. Mjmooney, you're no lightweight. 

• Thanks 1

On 27/06/2024 at 01:59, chrisp65 said:

Music as a competitive sport is a real thing. First question will almost always be ‘how many records you got?’.

It’s your hobby for your pleasure, do it your way.

People come to my house expecting to see wall to wall records and speakers from a Notting Hill sound system. They leave bemused.

100% 🤣

21 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

So I’ve probably seen them close to 50 times over nearly 20 years of seeing them.

Other than friends' local bands (which I - literally - don't count), the band I have seen the most times is The Who. 

Four times.

In 50 years.

I love them, but even that was probably two gigs too many, tbh. I just don't get the multiple gigs thing at all. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

Other than friends' local bands (which I - literally - don't count), the band I have seen the most times is The Who. 

Four times.

In 50 years.

I love them, but even that was probably two gigs too many, tbh. I just don't get the multiple gigs thing at all. 

Yeah, you’ve mentioned that. It’s the kind of thing lightweights don’t get 🤣 

seen the Who maybe 12 times, including July 4, 2002, the second show after John Entwistle’s death 

For a while back there, most gigs would have been Super Furry Animals. But now it’s Alabama 3. Never the same twice, always a deeply deeply cultural experience. It’s a minimum of once a year, I meet up with people I only meet at ‘3 gigs.

Here’s to a dozen more, it’s basically a night out with mates with live music we love. Why would you not buy a ticket?

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For a while back there, most gigs would have been Super Furry Animals. But now it’s Alabama 3. Never the same twice, always a deeply deeply cultural experience. It’s a minimum of once a year, I meet up with people I only meet at ‘3 gigs.

Here’s to a dozen more, it’s basically a night out with mates with live music we love. Why would you not buy a ticket?

How were they after the death of D Wayne?

Every year there’s a music festival a very short walk from the house. This year it started last Night. Lord Huron were sounding good through the open windows. Tonight the **** walls are shaking and the streets are rammed. I think it’s maybe James on at the moment, then Johnny Marr then Shania Twain. Or maybe Johnny Marr was before James. Anyway, it’s good that there’s stuff on in the Town, but ‘ kin ell, the wind needs to change direction. Too loud.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Every year there’s a music festival a very short walk from the house. This year it started last Night. Lord Huron were sounding good through the open windows. Tonight the **** walls are shaking and the streets are rammed. I think it’s maybe James on at the moment, then Johnny Marr then Shania Twain. Or maybe Johnny Marr was before James. Anyway, it’s good that there’s stuff on in the Town, but ‘ kin ell, the wind needs to change direction. Too loud.

Really? Just been talking about changing our plans and foregoing Brean for up near you. Going to stand on Brean beach then and flick the Vs across to the welsh. 

Just now, Seat68 said:

How were they after the death of D Wayne?

I went to the gig in Brixton, where an effigy with his death mask was centre stage. It felt like the end, it was a tribute but in the good and the bad sense. I got a feeling that was them signing off.

But they’ve survived it, embraced it. The last couple of gigs have been as chaotic and joyous as ever. The last album was decent, genuinely a good album.

Probably see them just before Christmas next, Forum, Kentish Town.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Really? Just been talking about changing our plans and foregoing Brean for up near you. Going to stand on Brean beach then and flick the Vs across to the welsh. 

I shall oil the shit trebuchet.

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

Every year there’s a music festival a very short walk from the house. This year it started last Night.

Is this Lytham? 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Four times.

In 50 years.

Sincere, 100% snark-free question: do you attend multiple ⚽️ matches? If so, how is that different from seeing a band multiple times? Especially in the case of the bands I see/have seen multiple times, who don’t use setlists/never play same show twice, don’t have the same patter/banter, etc., on top of the fact that every night, every venue, every crowd is completely different. Mind you, the bands I am referring to in my case are (mostly) those who don’t rely on a “show,” but are simply musicians who just come on stage and play. Like a match, the outcome and context and general atmosphere is never the same. 

9 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Sincere, 100% snark-free question: do you attend multiple ⚽️ matches?

Never had a season ticket. And I haven't been to a live game for five years, Conceivably may never go to another. But that's as much due to financial and geographical reasons as anything. 

But now I come to think of it, maybe it's similar - maybe I didn't want to go to matches more than a few times a year. 

We we talking about The Who, and I just remembered one of Townshend's lesser-known songs... 

Too Much of Anything (gets too much for me). 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Never had a season ticket. And I haven't been to a live game for five years, Conceivably may never go to another. But that's as much due to financial and geographical reasons as anything. 

But now I come to think of it, maybe it's similar - maybe I didn't want to go to matches more than a few times a year. 

We we talking about The Who, and I just remembered one of Townshend's lesser-known songs... 

Too Much of Anything (gets too much for me). 

IMG-0093.gif

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â