VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

58 minutes ago, bickster said:

Only one song but all 4 members playing together on stage

There is a pretty great interview going hand in hand with this. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There is a pretty great interview going hand in hand with this. 

The Rick Beato one with Mills? 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Rick Beato one with Mills? 

I enjoyed that one too Mike, but this one. Its good, relaxed and they all get their 2 minutes. 

• Thanks 2

I'm also hearing that Paramore have kinda fallen out with Taylor Swift because she's insisting on writing their set list for them

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm also hearing that Paramore have kinda fallen out with Taylor Swift because she's insisting on writing their set list for them

****! Really. It would get a hard **** off from me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I have no stake in this as I don't care for either act, but the absolute chutzpah of that. 🤣

• Like 1

To paraphrase the Paramore news story I read

Paramore, who are a great band in their own right and have a stage time of 6pm to 6.45pm, are rumoured to be having their set list picked by swift

So the main question should be when did Paramore hire Micheal O'Leary to do their PR?

IMG_9930.thumb.jpeg.ba26b3fa6084a839f619bbcae654d97f.jpeg

This one had been in the “to be read” stack for ages, finally got around to it. Was never a huge prog fan, though had my flirtation with Crimson, Yes, Genesis, et al. back in my teens. Moved on from it but still occasionally break out a few of the classics. That said, it all mostly sounds ungodly dated to me now.

Despite no longer really being a fan I absolutely loved this book. It was heavily hyped and totally lives up to it. Weigel could have narrowed his focus a bit with respect to the bands he featured, but that’s picking nits. Very entertaining, quite funny, and he doesn’t punch down, even in places where it would have been justified.

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

27 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Was never a huge prog fan, though had my flirtation with Crimson, Yes, Genesis, et al. back in my teens. Moved on from it but still occasionally break out a few of the classics. That said, it all mostly sounds ungodly dated to me now.

Check out Big Big Train. Particularly the "English Electric: Full Power" album. 

On 13/06/2024 at 11:07, mjmooney said:

The Case of the Missing Qs - a Sherlock Holmes mystery. 

My CD collection used to fit on the purpose-built shelves in the living room. But as the numbers increased, more and more had to be relegated (promoted?) to the man cave in the attic, where they resided in a bookcase. Eventually they overspilled that, and started getting stashed in a random collection of different sized cardboard boxes. In the course of this diaspora, the alphabetical filing system broke down, and anarchy reigned. 

This could not be allowed to continue, so I purchased ten large standard CD-sized storage boxes (as below), and began the big re-sorting project. All went well, and the records are now safely filed, and the boxes labelled.

Except... 

The 'Q' section was nowhere to be found. Admittedly, this was (unsurprisingly) the smallest set - Queen (yeah, I know, but the first four were OK), Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Quiver. But they had gone. Disparu. I checked the living room shelves (the 'most played' collection) - not there. Lukewise the attic bookcase. And all the odd boxes. Not a trace. 

Now, barring the unlikely eventuality that burglars with a specific love of bands beginning with 'Q' had broken into the house and surreptitiously made off with them, I have no explanation. The wife has no opinion (positive or negative) on those albums. It's far too specific to be the work of the grandchildren. So I'm baffled. 

It's not the end of the world  - apart from the rather obscure Quiver (without The Sutherland Brothers), it's all on Spotify. But it's still bugging me. 

I am becoming Inspector Clouseau. 

cd-box-wcd.jpg

I found them! 

Stashed away behind a shelf of DVDs. And it wasn't just 'Q's - there were 50-60 odd others from the second half of the alphabet, that I'd completely overlooked. 

Now I need to buy more storage boxes... 

• Like 2

Stats are in from chrisify for the first half of the year. Music bought not leased, by geographical identifier:

Wales: 48%

Rest of UK: 16%

Sweden: 12%

Turkey: 8%

Jamaica: 8%

USA: 4%

Niger: 4%

By genre:

absolute bin fire: 100%

noodling & prog: 0%

Anticipated releases:

Georgia Ruth

Ynys

Pepe Deluxe

Causa Sui

yes, I am currently two thirds of the way through the mostly deadly dull report ever for the office, hopefully this will be the diversion that means I’ll get back on track and finish and press send before 5:00 as I’ve promised for several days…

Mine is 

USA  6

England 2 

(I never could do percentages) 

They would probably all fall under the general heading of folk-rock. 

• Like 1

Ot keeping track but outside of older british purchases I have bought exclusively american, all of them would be filed under country. The latest is Hummingbird by Carly Pearce and its looking like my end of year album of the year. 

There should be a moratorium on two word title bands, first word Japanese

Television, Breakfast and now House. Stop it 

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

There should be a moratorium on two word title bands, first word Japanese

Television, Breakfast and now House. Stop it 

It won't surprise you to learn I haven't heard of any of them. 

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â