VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

14 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And then there's 'Faithful'... 

There's a few other good albums. She got me to buy both Runts and they're very pleasant listening. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Great bill👍🏼

BT W on the subject of Rundgren, love his stuff, got loads of his albums but seems to have gone a lot weird snd unllstenable over the last few years.

As for Kings of Leon they were great until Sex on Fire, at which point they all had shaved and had haircuts, and sadly looked and sounded like a **** boy band.

Todd has had pockets of “weird & unlistenable” throughout his career but as you said has really ramped it up of late. To be fair, he’s more than earned the right to do whatever he wants

The GD set from the show I posted is truly great. 74 was a high water mark for them. This show is one of the rare ones of the era for which there doesn’t exist a complete soundboard recording but have no fear, there is a legendary audience recording, one of my all-time faves 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xann said:

A Psych behemoth :) 

From the middle ground? 'Something/Anything?' is a classic album collector title.

Both you want to find in a record shop with a Todd section.

Got the interesting oddball relation to Wizard. Also from '73 on Bearsville with Todd at the controls. Fairly niche.

Off top of my yet to be caffeinated head, all more than worth your time 

Something/Anything. Both Runts. Oops! Wrong Planet. A Wizard, A True Star. Hermit of Mink Hollow. Nearly Human. Initiation. The 3 Nazz records. Ra (if you’re feeling adventurous)

23 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Todd Rundgren. I have no idea if he got the approval but he was massively desperate for it. 

Love me some Todd

Been having a re-jig of the record racks to try a free up some space, this is my small collection of Rundgren.

spacer.png

Bugger, another one found hiding in the Linda Ronstadt section:

spacer.png

Also got half a dozen Utopia LPs

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Been having a re-jig of the record racks to try a free up some space, this is my small collection of Rundgren.

spacer.png

Bugger, another one found hiding in the Linda Ronstadt section:

spacer.png

Also got half a dozen Utopia LPs

Very nice! I have all of those except for Global

• Like 1

On 04/06/2024 at 20:26, bickster said:

Woah, what's this about? I know how the festival scene works, but how is someone with Nadines following dipping out from Glastonbury? I've never heard a single thing about her that's negative, she's a great artist, and (as far as I know) a very wholesome and conscious artist? 

4 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Off top of my yet to be caffeinated head, all more than worth your time 

Something/Anything. Both Runts. Oops! Wrong Planet. A Wizard, A True Star. Hermit of Mink Hollow. Nearly Human. Initiation. The 3 Nazz records. Ra (if you’re feeling adventurous)

Clocked out at 'Todd'.

Most of the music I own recorded from the mid 70s to the late 80s will be classical or not from US/UK.

There is Nazz in the house on singles collections, and 'A Wizard' has spurred me to listen to the albums from time to time.

Got a bit of Garage and Psych. If I saw 'Complete Nazz' cheap in the wild it might be a goer?

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This thread has become very Todd Rundgren heavy. 

He does quite a good heavy.

• Haha 1

Cardiff Record Exchange has moved to new slightly larger premises which is good.

A couple of observations based on the photos on twitter. Deeper shop, more records on display. Space between racks still too tight for two middle aged blokes to pass without physical intimacy. Records still rammed in so tight you can’t flick browse.

Overall ranking (pre visit): improving. Still good not great.

So Orville Peck has done a song with Kylie Minogue and Diplo. Its awful. All the hard work @chrisp65 has done swaying me over to likng Peck has been undone. Still, there is this. 

• Like 1

Well based on that review, and my complete non opinion of Kylie, I shall steer well clear of that.

He’s not the most prolific is he, I’ve been watching and waiting for another album but he does like to space them out.

Posted (edited)

The Case of the Missing Qs - a Sherlock Holmes mystery. 

My CD collection used to fit on the purpose-built shelves in the living room. But as the numbers increased, more and more had to be relegated (promoted?) to the man cave in the attic, where they resided in a bookcase. Eventually they overspilled that, and started getting stashed in a random collection of different sized cardboard boxes. In the course of this diaspora, the alphabetical filing system broke down, and anarchy reigned. 

This could not be allowed to continue, so I purchased ten large standard CD-sized storage boxes (as below), and began the big re-sorting project. All went well, and the records are now safely filed, and the boxes labelled.

Except... 

The 'Q' section was nowhere to be found. Admittedly, this was (unsurprisingly) the smallest set - Queen (yeah, I know, but the first four were OK), Quicksilver Messenger Service, and Quiver. But they had gone. Disparu. I checked the living room shelves (the 'most played' collection) - not there. Lukewise the attic bookcase. And all the odd boxes. Not a trace. 

Now, barring the unlikely eventuality that burglars with a specific love of bands beginning with 'Q' had broken into the house and surreptitiously made off with them, I have no explanation. The wife has no opinion (positive or negative) on those albums. It's far too specific to be the work of the grandchildren. So I'm baffled. 

It's not the end of the world  - apart from the rather obscure Quiver (without The Sutherland Brothers), it's all on Spotify. But it's still bugging me. 

I am becoming Inspector Clouseau. 

cd-box-wcd.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Haha 1

Absolute proof from an advocate, the risks and disadvantages of alpha numeric filing.

File by spine colour, highly likely you’d only have lost some of the Q’s and a small number of other letters.

On that, I can report based on a study of a significant number of albums, that blue is a weirdly rare spine colour, well behind red, yellow, green, brown and obviously nowhere near the big boys, white, and black.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Case of the Missing Qs - a Sherlock Holmes mystery. 

With no Qs, you'll get no answers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

the big boys, white, and black.

All mine are currently white. Due to a coating of dust from the floor and walls in the same room which are undergoing (when I'm not dicking about on VT) some restoration. I only gave them their bi annual take from the shelves and clean/dust about a month ago, and am going to have to do it all again when I've finished decorating and stuff. Still more sanding to do, though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, blandy said:

All mine are currently white. Due to a coating of dust from the floor and walls in the same room which are undergoing (when I'm not dicking about on VT) some restoration. I only gave them their bi annual take from the shelves and clean/dust about a month ago, and am going to have to do it all again when I've finished decorating and stuff. Still more sanding to do, though.

Jeebus, I get arsey about ‘normal’ dust. When I was sanding the floor on the weekend I basically went full tape down the other doors and opened front and back doors to get a horizontal chimney going!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Jeebus, I get arsey about ‘normal’ dust. When I was sanding the floor on the weekend I basically went full tape down the other doors and opened front and back doors to get a horizontal chimney going!

Yeah, me too. But it's like this - to get them out the way before, or remove them after and clean and put back - similar amount of effort really and the "I need to fix this problem, and I've actually got the vibe to do it" was there. If I'd spent the next 2 hours moving CDs, it'd have gone - I'd have been "I haven't listened to this one in ages"

• Like 1

Anyone going to Download ? I think 'Busted' are on at some point; wouldn't have thought they would have fitted in with the Download goers but I know little about them; and I could have got it wrong !

7 minutes ago, veloman said:

Anyone going to Download ? I think 'Busted' are on at some point; wouldn't have thought they would have fitted in with the Download goers but I know little about them; and I could have got it wrong !

Maybe Download are trying to copy the old Reading vibe where they always picked an act guaranteed to be bottled off?

50 Cent, Daphne and Celeste et al

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â