VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Just now, Seat68 said:

I agree completely, all points and the descriptions, although I would split out Style Council into early and late, but yes agreed. 

I couldn’t honestly say I’d know much that Weller has done in the last few years, I very quickly lost interest post TSC, I’ve probably got a couple of singles somewhere and maybe the CD of the first solo album, but I wouldn’t know if he’s released 20 albums or no albums in the last decade.

I might have been saved by absolutely not being a completist and not needing to turn up at a middling rock concert aged 50 with a 1990’s Weller / mod haircut like you see on some people.

He did recently do a gig in London where he was a sort of guest appearance at a Michael Rother gig. I was curious to hear how that might have panned out, but not curious enough to get a ticket or hunt it down on youtube since. It would have been Rother I was paying to see.

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’m not one for noodling lead guitarists, we didn’t fight two world wars to put up with that shit. But then again, the 22 seconds of guitar from 1’48” are acceptable. Raw and perfectly imperfect. Perhaps there should be a rule, a maximum of 22 seconds or its just prog.

I like the Television Tom Verlaine style, and am happy for it to go on for ages. Same with Neil Young - some of his stuff goes on for 20 odd minutes and it's brilliant. Yonks ago @bickster and myself saw Doves in Liverpool and they ended the night with an extended jam of The Cedar room and that was brilliant, too.

Can't beat a band really going at it and into their own music, just reveling in playing the music.

The Style Council, however, were bobbins.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Phase 4: Post TSC. Dad rock shite.

'Wild Wood' is the only Weller album (Jam included) that I actually like. 

So perhaps it's actually granddad rock. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Yep, (though I like the jam), but since the Jam, it's all bobbins apart from Wild Wood.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, blandy said:

I like the Television Tom Verlaine style, and am happy for it to go on for ages. Same with Neil Young - some of his stuff goes on for 20 odd minutes and it's brilliant. Yonks ago @bickster and myself saw Doves in Liverpool and they ended the night with an extended jam of The Cedar room and that was brilliant, too.

Can't beat a band really going at it and into their own music, just reveling in playing the music.

The Style Council, however, were bobbins.

Yeah, agree on Television, and quite like that youtube clip. I wouldn’t count that youtube as a gratuitous guitar solo, that’s a whole band getting in to it and there just isn’t any singing!

I have got three or four Neil Young albums, on the insistence of Ash at Spillers, to make me a more rounded and acceptable person. Can’t say I return to anything other than Zuma very often.

• Like 1

I like me a bit of Wishbone Ash, Allman Brothers or Grateful Dead noodling once in a while, so there. 

What I can't stand is the Vai/Satriani/Malmsteen speedfreak school of shredding. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I think it’s Stanley Road is the one I’ve got, but it would literally be in a drawer unit out the garage, so not even in a sealed box, and just the CD as I guess mentally it was a disposable purchase not something to be cherished.

I think Weller went from trying to be Pete Townsend to trying to be Neil Young. That’s a very loose theory, I really don’t know enough post TSC Weller to back up that argument.

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I have got three or four Neil Young albums, on the insistence of Ash at Spillers, to make me a more rounded and acceptable person. Can’t say I return to anything other than Zuma very often.

Have you got Psychedelic Pill? It's the one with the 20 odd minute tracks and the extended noodling. It's a belter.

• Like 2

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I think Weller went from trying to be Pete Townsend to trying to be Neil Young. That’s a very loose theory, I really don’t know enough post TSC Weller to back up that argument.

On Wild Wood, it was pretty clear he'd been listening to Traffic and early Joe Cocker. 

I was impressed, and bought Stanley Road on the strength of it. I thought it was dull, and haven't heard anything by him since to change my mind. 

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Have you got Psychedelic Pill? It's the one with the 20 odd minute tracks and the extended noodling. It's a belter.

Off the top of my head, I’ve got:

Zuma

Rust

The Times

and something else for the life of me I can’t remember what it was called and discogs is glitching out right now so I’ve no chance

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Beat me to it, I was about to sing the praises of Psychedelic Pill. It's Mrs M's first choice go-to album on a road trip. 

He's put out some proper dross since then, mind. 

• Like 1

On 14/11/2023 at 17:19, tonyh29 said:

probably one for the things you don't get thread , but I never understand how November Rain gets so much adoration   .. don't' get me wrong I like a bit of GnR and  its an Ok song , but Pearl Jams Alive shits all over it for epic guitar solo , slash;s solo on this is more style than substance  

image.jpg

59 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Beat me to it, I was about to sing the praises of Psychedelic Pill. It's Mrs M's first choice go-to album on a road trip. 

He's put out some proper dross since then, mind. 

Yep was about to say, it’s the last decent album he released

• Like 1

BBC4 showing Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice tonight. Really looking forward to this but can't recall if it was the one shown a couple of years ago, regardless it should be interesting. Hopefully it gives significant time to her Stone Poneys tenure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

BBC4 showing Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice tonight. Really looking forward to this but can't recall if it was the one shown a couple of years ago, regardless it should be interesting. Hopefully it gives significant time to her Stone Poneys tenure.

I'm sure I saw that only a few months ago. May have been on Sky Arts. 

11 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I'm sure I saw that only a few months ago. May have been on Sky Arts. 

It might have been, its from 2019 and so I expect it may have been on something. I know I have seen one documentary on her so it may have been this.

The missus inner music critic has been showing itself tonight. How can you listen to that shit?

My dear, that is the genius of Lawrence with his latest pop combo Mozart Estate and you are a Philistine. She’s definitely getting the Nightingales next for a full on Brum experience

33 minutes ago, bickster said:

The missus inner music critic has been showing itself tonight. How can you listen to that shit?

My dear, that is the genius of Lawrence with his latest pop combo Mozart Estate and you are a Philistine. She’s definitely getting the Nightingales next for a full on Brum experience

This coincides with a conversation I had with my wife on Sunday. Radio 2 were playing Son of my father by Chicory Tip and I mentioned that Denim used that sound on their song Middle of the road. She said who? I said we own it, Denim, you know Lawrence, who was Felt? She said who? Felt??? I said that menopause is hitting hard isn't it. 

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This coincides with a conversation I had with my wife on Sunday. Radio 2 were playing Son of my father by Chicory Tip and I mentioned that Denim used that sound on their song Middle of the road. She said who? I said we own it, Denim, you know Lawrence, who was Felt? She said who? Felt??? I said that menopause is hitting hard isn't it. 

That Tammy Wynette song should be ringing in her ears by now :D 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â