VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

Just now, bickster said:

This is no historical term, it's something the Stones invented for this album, it is their current personal term for it

Really? Then credit the Stones for a nice bit of wry term coinage, regardless of other connotations,  properly inferred or otherwise. 

Curious if you'd read that somewhere, that this is a term they came up with?

I know that area has been historically hardscrapple, so the term would seem like it's been around for a while.

Anyway, if some people deem it racistly offensive, it wouldn't be the first time the Stones have triggered people that way.

The lyrics to Brown Sugar are really cringe inducing, as are a few other lyrics in their catalogue. Shame, because Brown Sugar musically is a real barn burner. 

As for the new album, if the single sucks, it's likely the rest does too. 

They should've hired Dan Auerbach to produce the album. He produced one of Dr. John's last albums, and it was really solid. It was a throwback to his swampy 60's bayou stuff. Grimy and atmospheric. Perhaps Auerbach could've conjured the spirit of Exile on Main Street. 

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

or Mick read it and then thought he invented it when they were naming the album as he claimed yesterday

At least the Stones properly credited the Black artists whose songs they recorded early on, unlike the thieving Led Zeppelin who had the arrogance to try to claim them as their own.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Interview with Jagger on the radio yesterday

Was that the R4 interview with the guy that was singularly unimpressed?

He was asked what he thought of the music, he said it was typical Rolling Stones.

He was told it was impressive they were still doing it and he responded it wasn’t exactly difficult stuff to play.

He was told it could be their last album and said he doubted the Rolling Stones machine would allow death to stop the income stream.

It was quite funny.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Was that the R4 interview with the guy that was singularly unimpressed?

He was asked what he thought of the music, he said it was typical Rolling Stones.

He was told it was impressive they were still doing it and he responded it wasn’t exactly difficult stuff to play.

He was told it could be their last album and said he doubted the Rolling Stones machine would allow death to stop the income stream.

It was quite funny.

Nah, generic BBC 6MUSIC half hourly news so was brief, could well be same interview though

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Notably, the drum sound is obviously not Charlie, and it's distracting. It's an approximation of his high hat technique, 

To save me trawling all through it, which number exemplifies that please ? Not a wind -up or disputing it but I have a theory about Mr Watts hi-hat sound . Cheers

21 minutes ago, veloman said:

To save me trawling all through it, which number exemplifies that please ? Not a wind -up or disputing it but I have a theory about Mr Watts hi-hat sound . Cheers

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Steep learning curve?

If you are already familiar with DAWs I would say it's quite intuitive tbh. If you are completely new to music production, then yes the learning curve is quite steep. But as with anything, where there is a will there is a way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Charlie is only on 2 tracks on the album it seems, the rest is apparently played by session man Steve Jordan. Interestingly one of the Charlie Watts tracks also features noted hebephile, Bill Wyman. 

Unpopular opinion: 

I think the Stones single is all right. Not 'spend money on it' all right, admittedly, but 'don't switch off before the end' all right. Of course it isn't as good as 1969 Stones - they're in their eighties, FFS! - but perfectly decent generic rock. Which I'd still rather listen to than 90% of current music by 'contemporary' acts. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unpopular opinion: 

I think the Stones single is all right. Not 'spend money on it' all right, admittedly, but 'don't switch off before the end' all right. Of course it isn't as good as 1969 Stones - they're in their eighties, FFS! - but perfectly decent generic rock. Which I'd still rather listen to than 90% of current music by 'contemporary' acts. 

Yeah I was kinda gearing up to really dislike or mock that song. I will almost certainly never play it again, but it’s probably about as good as I could or would expect from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Charlie is only on 2 tracks on the album it seems, the rest is apparently played by session man Steve Jordan. Interestingly one of the Charlie Watts tracks also features noted hebephile, Bill Wyman. 

It turns out that IS Charlie doing a approximation of the Charlie Watts style 😚

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â