VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

20 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Off to Southport in Saturday for 4 days, wife and dog are going to bugger off whilst the grandson is taught that not all vinyl needs to be priced between 25 quid and 40 quid. I have a list of albums that I need and Southport is the likely place to get them. 

I shall be in Southport on Saturday too 

Might see if I can fit in a trawl through his corridors of vinyl

• Like 1

Just now, Xann said:

Weren't you in London soon?

I am. 2 weeks following bank holiday. London might see me buy records but my days will be long and so possibly not during record shop opening hours. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

Talking of which, sort of, I just got an e mither off bandcamp or maybe Alabama 3 to say they’ve released more stuff on bandcamp. It too me down a rabbit hole. Anyway @chrisp65 might be worth a peep over there. 

Cheers boss, yes had the same notices but always worth saying, cheers.

3 hours ago, Xann said:

Weren't you in London soon?

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I am. 2 weeks following bank holiday. London might see me buy records but my days will be long and so possibly not during record shop opening hours. 

Possible three way?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Xann said:

Hey.

Should have a few days to play with?

Where's your job?

One in Shoreditch, one at St Paul’s tube stn..

Not sure on dates yet, it won’t be next week but will be v soon after that.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

By chance, having discussed Dexys in the album thread, they’ve just tweeted a tweet where they are a bit upset by reviews that have not understood their new album. 

Personally, I think reviewing the reviews is a bit up itself, but I can imagine it must be incredibly frustrating to work on a project (a project you need the money from) and have it not land as you wanted it to.

• Haha 1

Didn't know whether to put this in the film thread or the music thread. So I'll do both. 

Watched The Eight Mountains (2022) last night. Great film, with some spectacular cinematography in the Alps and Himalayas. I was rather enjoying the soundtrack, which featured a series of Americana-ish songs, so I looked up the performer. It was (slightly surprisingly) a Swedish singer-songwriter, called Daniel Norgren. I'd never heard of him, but discovered - by amazing coincidence - that he's playing at the Brudenell Social Club this Sunday evening. I may well go. 

You could have made three proper professional albums, with all the lovely mics, tapes and the best session musicians and engineers for the cost of 'My Beauty'.

A staggering quantity of resources were poured into it.

Never really been a fan of Dexys save a few songs on the first album

When the second album came out and they were in their  grim dungarees phase Kevin Rowland was being an arse in Inferno in Dale End, I've never seen or read anything about him ever since that has convinced me that he's not an arse.

That tweet above just reinforces it.

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

When the second album came out and they were in their  grim dungarees phase Kevin Rolland was being an arse in Inferno in Dale End, I've never seen or read anything about him ever since that has convinced me that he's not an arse.

Couldn't have put it better myself. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

When the second album came out and they were in their  grim dungarees phase Kevin Rowland was being an arse in Inferno in Dale End, I've never seen or read anything about him ever since that has convinced me that he's not an arse.

Yeah, wouldn't want him as a friend. Always comes across as a killjoy. 

That aside, musically I love what he does, not all of it but what I like, I love. 

Yeah, it’s a band with a degree of separation for me, he’s not someone I’m invested in, I can just enjoy the music.

He does something a little different and reinvents now and again, he ain’t doing middling rock.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Yeah, wouldn't want him as a friend. Always comes across as a killjoy

That aside, musically I love what he does, not all of it but what I like, I love. 

Nothing. Not a single like. Gits the lot of you. 

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Nothing. Not a single like. Gits the lot of you. 

I may have done, but I hadn’t heard of them.

My knowledge of Dexys/Rowland is basically Eileen, Geno, Jackie Wilson (and subsequent TOTP performance with Jocky Wilson picture) and I know Rowland did that solo covers album with the lingerie.

Postscript - having just checked, I realise I know “Because of you” as the theme tune to Brush Strokes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Kevin Rowland was being an arse in Inferno in Dale End, I've never seen or read anything about him ever since that has convinced me that he's not an arse.

He may have been, can't comment BUT .. he was a bona fide member of the M.U. (Musicians Union) which counts/counted  a lot in my book.

• Confused 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â