VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well I have

• Reggae  and Dub
  • On-U Sound (Lee Perry appears in both these sections) I have so much it needs to be separate
  • Soundtrack and Electronic soundscape type stuff
  • Jazz
  • Multi artist Compilations that don’t fit into the above categories
  • All the rest
  • All the records I've bought this year AKA the current regular listens
  • 12” Singles are just A-Z
  • 7” Singles are just A-Z (all singles are in sealed boxes not on shelves as I rarely play then right now)
  • CDs are just A-Z but compilations are sort of sectionalised by genre / type at the end

Seems reasonable, especially if you have a lot of reggae. No one genre dominates my collection, so I'm quite happy to mix up rock, folk, soul, blues, prog, country, etc. all together. Although I do keep jazz separate. 

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Seems reasonable, especially if you have a lot of reggae. No one genre dominates my collection, so I'm quite happy to mix up rock, folk, soul, blues, prog, country, etc. all together. Although I do keep jazz separate. 

For me it’s a case of finding stuff by browsing that reflects my mood and I have to separate the reggae / On-U stuff just for ease of finding

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

For me it’s a case of finding stuff by browsing that reflects my mood and I have to separate the reggae / On-U stuff just for ease of finding

Yes, that's why I separate out the jazz. If I'm in a 'jazz mood', I want to be able to browse all the jazz albums in one place, rather than it being buried among the other stuff. 

Go on then, I’ll kick it off, Mercury Prize nominees 2023:

Arctic Monkeys - ‘The Car’
Ezra Collective - ‘Where I'm Meant to Be’
Fred again.. - ‘Actual Life 3 (January 1 - September 9 2022)’
J Hus - ‘Beautiful And Brutal Yard’
Jessie Ware - ‘That! Feels Good!’
Jockstrap - ‘I Love You Jennifer B’
Lankum - ‘False Lankum’
Loyle Carner - ‘hugo’  
Olivia Dean - ‘Messy’  
RAYE - ‘My 21st Century Blues’
Shygirl - ‘Nymph’
Young Fathers - ‘Heavy Heavy’

Apparently 8 of the 12 are from London, last 8 years its been won by a London based band.

Yeah, it only piqued my interest because diversity was mentioned, but there are different types of diversity.

Reality is you have two ways of judging music, sales, or personal preference. 

On 25/07/2023 at 18:56, mjmooney said:

I mix all mine in too.

Except I have a complete different kallax unit for certain bands beginning with B.

Or DW.

Or BW.

11 hours ago, bickster said:

At least I know I can just ignore anything related, none of them do anything for me.

The Mercury Prize stopped being anything meaningful a long time ago

The prize itself yeah but I still try and listen to everyone on the list looking for new music, it's how I discovered young father's a long time ago

Arctic Monkeys shouldn't be on there but it's the only album I've listened to, 9 of them I've never heard of

On 25/07/2023 at 18:49, bickster said:

Well I have

• Reggae  and Dub
  • On-U Sound (Lee Perry appears in both these sections) I have so much it needs to be separate
  • Soundtrack and Electronic soundscape type stuff
  • Jazz
  • Multi artist Compilations that don’t fit into the above categories
  • All the rest
  • All the records I've bought this year AKA the current regular listens
  • 12” Singles are just A-Z
  • 7” Singles are just A-Z (all singles are in sealed boxes not on shelves as I rarely play then right now)
  • CDs are just A-Z but compilations are sort of sectionalised by genre / type at the end

Do you keep them all in a special shed? Asking for a friend.

17 hours ago, mjmooney said:

various-artists-the-great-british-experience-6-cd.jpg

Usually with stuff for film and broadcast, which is where the majority have heard this gear, I prefer the known version as opposed to rerercordings.

Then there's the Corp and Wordsworth collections. They're lovely, and it's a different hit. Hyperion and Warner production is a another world. Corp's take on Ron Goodwin's 'The Girl from Corsica' is beautiful. Wordsworth's 'Boulevardier' is up there with 'Puffin' Billy' and 'The Devil's Gallop', it's loads faster than the historic recordings and it's brilliant. There's more wallpaper on the Corps, but there's twice as many volumes.

Also got a box called 'Halcyon Days'. It's got less of the hits, and there's licensing involved. The link is the same recording, which stopped me buying this box too. Probably another licensied collection?

Really like this. It takes off and it's great, then it comes back again with a bass drop.

• Like 1

Just to say it’s Bandcamp Friday tomorrow where the rates are a little better than the artists would get from apple.

On the first Friday of the month since March of 2020, we’ve waived our revenue share to help support artists on Bandcamp. Over the course of just those 30 days, fans have paid artists and labels more than $106 million USD. If you’re among the nearly 1.6 million fans who have participated, thank you.

The next Bandcamp Friday is August 4th, and Bandcamp Fridays will continue on September 1st, October 6th, November 3rd, and December 1st. As always, isitbandcampfriday.com has the details.

If you’ve started to feel guilty about buying music on any other day of the month, here’s something to keep in mind: on Bandcamp Fridays, an average of 93% of your money reaches the artist/label (after payment processor fees). When you make a purchase on any other day (as millions of you have, with more than $1 billion now paid directly to artists), an average of 82% reaches the artist/label. Every day is a good day to support artists on Bandcamp!

• 2 weeks later...

For fans of Billy Nomates @Designer1 @blandy et al

Tor will be putting up some new music in rough form on her Bandcamp page every Friday for the next few weeks

HTTPS://tormaries.Bandcamp.com

The message doesn't say but I presume as it’s just rough stuff it'll be free(ish)

Theres nowt there right now but I presume there will be tomorrow 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

For fans of Billy Nomates @Designer1 @blandy et al

Tor will be putting up some new music in rough form on her Bandcamp page every Friday for the next few weeks

HTTPS://tormaries.Bandcamp.com

The message doesn't say but I presume as it’s just rough stuff it'll be free(ish)

Theres nowt there right now but I presume there will be tomorrow 

Yeah she mentioned this on IG yesterday. She says it's a mishmash of stuff (some ideas and unfinished). I'll be giving them a listen.

• Like 1

Off to Southport in Saturday for 4 days, wife and dog are going to bugger off whilst the grandson is taught that not all vinyl needs to be priced between 25 quid and 40 quid. I have a list of albums that I need and Southport is the likely place to get them. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â