VT’s Music Chat

Mark Albrighton

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I would imagine that 1975 should be up my street, Matt Healy, the front man puts me off them and musically they haven't had that stand out track that grabbed me. They are in the same way Blossoms are, completely forgettable. 

Blossoms are getting that Manchester push and supporting the likes of courteeners on their mental Manchester gigs

They'll be more successful as that smiths cover band which says it all

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I would imagine that 1975 should be up my street, Matt Healy, the front man puts me off them and musically they haven't had that stand out track that grabbed me. They are in the same way Blossoms are, completely forgettable. 

Yep, majorly dull The Blossoms. See also The Lathums and that band that Bono's son is in that I’ve had in my car and still can’t remember their name

• Like 1

1 hour ago, picicata said:

Quite often I've ended up at a festival that The 1975 will be playing at so they'll appear on my festival playlist. The moment, the very moment, their track finishes I will completely forget what they sound like, even what genre they are, and have to listen again. Which then leads to me forgetting once more etc. 

They've got to be one of the most successful beige bands out there, at least Coldplay have a couple of tunes I can remember!

This. I saw them a couple of weeks ago on TV (I think it was the Radio 1 festival thing). Watched several songs. Completely inoffensive, completely unmemorable. Didn't particularly dislike them, didn't particularly like them. You're right - they've somehow achieved the difficult feat of being even more dull than Coldplay. 

A record shop posted this....

e7122nfyusdb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

:D 

There then followed a pile on from the r/vinyljerk sub

This was the result

w8b11nfyusdb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I just love the whole, you knew that album was worth more but you let us charge you less :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve been feeling bad I’ve paid £15 each for three records in recent weeks when two quite clearly had £20 stickers on them. Although, the third one had a £14 sticker on it and they still charged me £15, so I might query that one.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66286800

Last Friday, indie-pop band The 1975 was headlining a music festival in the capital Kuala Lumpur

When every tom, dick and harry was being called Indie in the 90s, that didn't piss me off, it **** me off massively. Ocean Colour Scene, indie, toploader, indie, the Kooks, indie. **** off. But I lived with it. It happens and now its passed on and indie just means white dudes with guitars.

I will not however accept the 1975 bastards being called indie pop. Heavenly are indie pop, the field mice are indie pop, the **** pastels are indie pop. The 1975 are not "indie pop"*

(This post and it's children was moved from the Piss You Off Topic - just for the sake of clarity) - Bicks

*they are indie, they are pop, so I may be wrong on this.

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

indie just means white dudes with guitars.

I always thought it was about record companies? If you recorded for a small, independent label, you were indie. If you recorded for Sony/WEA, etc. you weren't. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I always thought it was about record companies? If you recorded for a small, independent label, you were indie. If you recorded for Sony/WEA, etc. you weren't. 

It started out meaning that. But then the bands in that situation that people noticed all ended up having this stripped back post punk rock sound and style, and indie became a genre of melodic softer guitar rock, and then basically everything became indie apart from the stuff without guitar basis, the legacy harder heavier stuff, metal and it's subgenres, and folk/c&w stuff.

If you started a band now with a 2 guitarists, bass and a drummer, playing basically anything that isn't super heavy, and dress like any bloke near a Topman/River Island, you'll instantly be indie.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The majors distributed their own gear. Indies didn't and used a third party to get their stuff out there..

I worked for Pinnacle the biggest distributor at the time. We had PWL, technically making Kylie and Rick Astley Indie acts.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Seat68 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-66286800

When every tom, dick and harry was being called Indie in the 90s, that didn't piss me off, it **** me off massively. Ocean Colour Scene, indie, toploader, indie, the Kooks, indie. **** off. But I lived with it. It happens and now its passed on and indie just means white dudes with guitars.

I will not however accept the 1975 bastards being called indie pop. Heavenly are indie pop, the field mice are indie pop, the **** pastels are indie pop. The 1975 are not "indie pop"*

*they are indie, they are pop, so I may be wrong on this.

saai-boring.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

It was. But as we're so keen to point out in other areas, language has evolved, words have been hijacked. 

• Like 1

Classification by musical genre sucks big balls.

I’m not sifting through a whole rack of Nu dark indie post industrial pop metal just to see if there’s something that looks interesting. Just chuck it all in together, alphabetise it if you have to you anal ****, but just chuck it all in together and let people discover new stuff.

‘Indie.’ What a lot of poop. 

• Like 2

If Indie was a genre, it was invented by the major labels in conjunction with the shitehawks at the NME

There was no evolution, Indie was an Independent label, whether that be by choice or by means of a stepping stone to a major, there were many genres on an Indie label (there still are)

If Indie is a genre then somebody will be able to define it

I can define Dub, Ska, Reggae, Space Rock etc you name it and even then there will be crossovers but Indie was just the majors description for any form of Alternative Music

Skinny white boys with guitars is not a genre

Normally I would be happy to discuss, but my fight today is minimal. Indie broadly wasnt even a genre until it was co-opted by the nme, and then it was diluted down. There were various genres I suppose, Peel used to refer to bands as shambling if I remember, indie was way too broad. Indie Pop, as that was the crux of my point, that really only ever meant one type of music, that seems to now have changed. I am flagging today, so my patience is a little thin. Will return tomorrow to write an essay which will bore people that dont like music.

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Classification by musical genre sucks big balls

Totally agree. Particularly some of the more cheeseparing sub-sub-subgenres. 

That said, I think everybody should define their own genres, especially if they use them to file their LPs/CDs/digital folders. 

Personally, my CDs are split into just the three categories - (a) classical, (b) jazz and (c) all other popular music. 

Well I have

• Reggae  and Dub
  • On-U Sound (Lee Perry appears in both these sections) I have so much it needs to be separate
  • Soundtrack and Electronic soundscape type stuff
  • Jazz
  • Multi artist Compilations that don’t fit into the above categories
  • All the rest
  • All the records I've bought this year AKA the current regular listens
  • 12” Singles are just A-Z
  • 7” Singles are just A-Z (all singles are in sealed boxes not on shelves as I rarely play then right now)
  • CDs are just A-Z but compilations are sort of sectionalised by genre / type at the end
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â